Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2022 8:20:34 PM EDT
My family farm for 30 years of 1k acres was bought in 2017 by an investment firm(long story). One of the large investors became like family and we have spent the last few years keeping the farm up to previous standards for hunting and fishing. A 24 Acre pond and one of the best bass ponds you’ll ever fish in SC.

In the past 9 months, they have began to divide it into 5-10acre plots. This unknown middle of nothing country is going to be 30 or more plots. Dividing pasture land and grain fields into “mini farms” surrounding the home I grew up in.

I feel like I’m living a real life Yellowstone season. A  beautiful farm land and one of the last complete sections of a Kings Grant property in the area.

I know it is what it is and wish I had the $8million they wanted for the entire property to keep it whole.

Just sad I’ll never hunt, fish, or be able to freely shoot out here again with 30 neighbors. Will be taking down my 100yds range, picking up my 700yds range, and taking down deer stands with childhood memories.

I’m extremely grateful for the life I got to experience around here. It was such a wonderful time with family and friends.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 8:21:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Call Rip.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 8:23:14 PM EDT
[#2]
You need a ride to the train station?
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 8:24:03 PM EDT
[#3]
how's Teeter?
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 8:24:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Not any personal connections, but I've watched urban sprawl absolutely happen. What was once 500 acre or so fields sold and developed into subdivisions with cookie cutter McMansions.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 8:27:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Every summer I'd go out my grandparents and uncles land we called "the ranch" 160 acres completely off grid 45 minutes down a windy dirt road to the nearest podunk town. Man made ponds with bass in them we would catch and I grandpa and I or my dad would shoot the bullfrogs with my .22 cause they would eat the smaller fish.

Grandparents house was right near the river. I'd run around that place with my 10/22 like it was the wild west.

Many great memories there. Sadly places like that are disappearing and it's no wonder the younger generations turn out the way they do not having lived that childhood.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 8:28:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Me and 5 friends had been hunting same ranch for 20 years. It got sold and divided up 2 years ago. It was my getaway from Oct to Jan. I thought we would all get on another ranch, but it never happened. Time marches on and it sucks.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 8:28:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not any personal connections, but I've watched urban sprawl absolutely happen. What was once 500 acre or so fields sold and developed into subdivisions with cookie cutter McMansions.
View Quote

Yeah, but this place is still middle of nowhere SC. Decent food is an hour drive, an an average grocery store is 15min, and a gas station is 10 miles.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 8:28:39 PM EDT
[#8]
What did you expect would happened when it got sold?
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 8:34:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Never expected this area to go from $2-3k an acre to within a few years into $10-18k an acre. The local farmer that leases property for cattle and grain to say he’s telling his children that the family business likely won’t be around for them to be a part of.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 8:36:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

This, Especially to an "investment firm".

I saw a guy who owned a city lot that had a nice large front lawn that faced the city park divide the lot and sell off his "front yard".
Bragged about what he got from it and how he still had the nice park view.
I laughed when the buyer built a home right in front of his large picture window.
Now he has a nice view of the back of another house.

I am always amazed when people sell land and then complain about what happens to it.

Link Posted: 12/12/2022 8:37:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Time to return some coolers to their rightful owners...

Link Posted: 12/12/2022 8:38:45 PM EDT
[#12]
That really sucks OP. My condolences.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 8:38:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Never expected this area to go from $2-3k an acre to within a few years into $10-18k an acre. The local farmer that leases property for cattle and grain to say he’s telling his children that the family business likely won’t be around for them to be a part of.
View Quote

Should of been suspicious when they offered to buy land out in the middle of nowhere.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 9:08:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/12/2022 9:12:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Should of been suspicious when they offered to buy land out in the middle of nowhere.
View Quote

If I’d have had known and a little Time to sort finances. Things would have never changed but my fathers failing health that he kept from everyone did it all. Until he passed, none of us really knew how sick he was but his Dr. I drove him to his heart cath that he never left the hospital.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 9:22:43 PM EDT
[#16]
That sucks, it really does. I am afraid I can’t help with a 1000 acres out west. I know where 460 is in SW Virginia if the Appalachias interest you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top