Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2022 9:34:23 PM EDT
I think I've seen "Jason and the Argonauts" about 10 times.  The skeleton battle scene still creeps me out.  He was an amazing artist, way ahead of his time.

Here's his film bio. https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0366063/

Link Posted: 1/23/2022 9:41:39 PM EDT
[#1]
You are correct, a real artist. I have been a fan of his work for 50 years and read every article about him in Famous Monsters Magazine back in the 1970s.
I used to try to make my own stop action SFX movies with a Kodak Super 8 camera when I was a kid.

Young people today don't appreciate stop action SFX with all this CGI.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 10:36:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I wish they'd try some Harryhausen level modeling and combine it with the go motion photography that Disney developed for Dragonslayer.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 10:54:22 PM EDT
[#3]
All of his films are good, but to me, "The Valley of Gwangi" is the best.

Heard a comment some time back that "20 years ago we were marveling at what could be done with CGI. Now we're amazed at what they did without it".
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 11:51:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I think I've seen "Jason and the Argonauts" about 10 times.  The skeleton battle scene still creeps me out.  He was an amazing artist, way ahead of his time.

Here's his film bio. https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0366063/

View Quote

Fighting Off The Children Of The Hydra's Teeth | Jason and the Argonauts | Creature Features

You're welcome!  
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 12:55:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You are correct, a real artist. I have been a fan of his work for 50 years and read every article about him in Famous Monsters Magazine back in the 1970s.
I used to try to make my own stop action SFX movies with a Kodak Super 8 camera when I was a kid.

View Quote

Famous Monsters, Forry Ackermann. 70s - 80s horror and sci-fi . Cool time to be a kid. makes me feel old to think about that.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 1:13:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
All of his films are good, but to me, "The Valley of Gwangi" is the best.

Heard a comment some time back that "20 years ago we were marveling at what could be done with CGI. Now we're amazed at what they did without it".
View Quote

Fantastic film.  Loved since a kid.  Effects and the story are just so fun. I’ve been meaning to pick it up for the collection for years.  

I just love watching his films anytime I get the chance.  I saw an exhibit on his work back in 1990, and the Kraken and Mediusa were just amazing.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 3:13:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Who?
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 3:19:43 AM EDT
[#8]
I saw him give a talk at DreamWorks. He brought one of the skeletons from Jason and the Argonauts. I was surprised how big it was; about the size of a Barbie or a 1960s GI Joe.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 3:22:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

I tried the same thing in the 1990s, using our family's VHS-C camcorder. Couldn't get it to shoot single frames like a film camera, though.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 3:50:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Who?
View Quote

Lol.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 8:20:12 AM EDT
[#11]
I've never heard of him, but now I get the reference in Monsters Inc.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 8:35:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Jason and the Argonauts and Clash of the Titans were two of his best, but all those Sinbad movies were excellent as well
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 8:40:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Jason and the Argonauts and Clash of the Titans were two of his best, but all those Sinbad movies were excellent as well
View Quote

Agreed.

I'd still rather have stop-motion than the best CGI.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:00:54 AM EDT
[#14]
There is a documentary about him on netflix

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1839590/
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:16:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Agreed.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.

Yeah I have always been a fan of his work and stop motion is pretty cool…….. there is an old Terrytoons stop motion cartoon called “ Tulips Shall
Grow” about the German invasion of the Netherlands that Harryhausen and George Pal did……. If you like stop motion it is excellent
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:20:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
There is a documentary about him on netflix

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1839590/
View Quote
Came to post this.  Really worth watching if you were into his old films.

Valley of Gwangi was my favorite as a kid.

Cowboys vs. dinosaurs:

Link Posted: 1/24/2022 10:17:06 AM EDT
[#17]
20 Million Miles to Earth was also cool.

Link Posted: 1/24/2022 10:21:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I wish they'd try some Harryhausen level modeling and combine it with the go motion photography that Disney developed for Dragonslayer.
View Quote

Dragonslayer was great!  Best dragon, even including GoT.  Ulrich was the man.

Dragonslayer (1981) - Wizard vs. Dragon Showdown
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 10:24:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Agreed.  Those old stop-action sci-fi movies were a staple of my childhood.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 10:36:39 AM EDT
[#20]
There’s a great documentary about his work for those that are interested https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1839590/

ETA Whoops I’m late
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:24:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Some of Harryhausen's earliest work, directed by George Pal

Tulips Shall Grow Remastered Version
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 10:51:46 PM EDT
[#22]
The Mysterious Island was a favorite as a kid.

...and I've never heard of the Valley of Gwangi!  I'll have to check it out tonight.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 11:34:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I tried the same thing in the 1990s, using our family's VHS-C camcorder. Couldn't get it to shoot single frames like a film camera, though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had the same problem! Except you didn't have to ride your bike to Fotomat and wait 2 or 3 weeks to see the results!
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 11:46:51 PM EDT
[#24]
In a total 360, some CGI artists try to replicate his old stop motion look because it just resonates with viewers.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 12:07:47 AM EDT
[#25]
The man gave me many thrills as a child watching his movies  Still a bit creepy and scary.

Jim Danforth does the same type of animation and does great work in the movie Caveman   Off to dust my old VHS copies of Valley of the Gwangi and Caveman  lol
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 12:16:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Love RH movies... i bought the blu ray collection a while ago..  has a lot of his stuff in it.  Grew up with stop motion and still think its the best and gives a lot of feel that CGI cant deliver.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top