Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2020 9:19:58 PM EDT
Needed a plunge router to build my first guitar body. Scored this for $39. Cannot find a spec of sawdust on it so assuming it's never been used.  All the pieces and the nice case incl.

Link Posted: 9/18/2020 9:21:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Old but gold?  Any dates on the literature?
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 9:25:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Old but gold?  Any dates on the literature?
View Quote

Will check. Couldn't even find any google hits on the model# or on YT.  Very smooth running.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 9:34:31 PM EDT
[#3]
If you're not a professional tradesman it should last you a long time.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 9:36:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Problem with many Craftsman routers was they didn't have proper collets, just split shaft end with a nut that squeezed it down which can lead to tool vibration and chatter.

Is that one a proper removable collet? If yes, decent deal. If not, meh...
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 10:23:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I guess i got the split shaft

Link Posted: 9/18/2020 10:56:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Does it have more than one collett?   My dad had some old craftsman routers, probably 1970s vintage.  
Decently made, but it had some weird diameter collett.  Wouldn’t hold 1/4” dia shafts, maybe it only took 3/8”.  Something definitely not standard or common anymore.

Should’ve saved your money for an old PC router
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 1:20:32 AM EDT
[#7]
For $39 I would buy it. Just make sure when you change bits you unscrew the collar occasionally to clean out any accumulated sawdust from the splits in the shaft. That’s what gives trouble when tightening a different bit in, if the shaft is blocked from clamping on the bit.
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 8:17:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Does it have more than one collett?   My dad had some old craftsman routers, probably 1970s vintage.  
Decently made, but it had some weird diameter collett.  Wouldn’t hold 1/4” dia shafts, maybe it only took 3/8”.  Something definitely not standard or common anymore.

Should’ve saved your money for an old PC router
View Quote

just 1/4". I just plan on doing guitar neck and cavity routes w this one in pine and maple with top bearing bits thru templates. Will get a better grade when i go to do my butcher block countertops.  I think that's going to require more HP anyway.
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 8:27:27 AM EDT
[#9]
For two $20 bills?

A+.  

Would have bought it just to play around with.

Now you can get some feeling for how a router works and figure out if you want to spend more money or if this will work for you.
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 9:00:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Guitar routes are so small that I considered using a rotozip i got for $10 @ yardsale but despite operating good, something hitting the rotating assembly inside and throwing out hot plastic.  I think its fixable, just need to open it up, and i can use the rotozip for tight corners (inside/ cavity).

$10 rotozip:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

There was a recall and original owner, though never having used it, had both the new handle issued with recall, and the old one, along with circle cutting fixture, basic bit set and both 1/8 and 1/4" collets. I think its worth opening it up and digging out whatever plastic flash is caught up in it. The original receipt was also in the box, and it was over $125 IIRC.
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 9:14:21 AM EDT
[#11]

Sweet, that was almost before they even needed to put Made in USA on the label - as everything was made in USA.

You got a nice deal, I'd give you $75 for it right now and pay shpping.
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 9:16:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Sweet, that was almost before they even needed to put Made in USA on the label - as everything was made in USA.

View Quote

Somehow, I didn't even realize it was made here. Kinda makes it a novelty
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 10:33:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Guitar routes are so small that I considered using a rotozip i got for $10 @ yardsale but despite operating good, something hitting the rotating assembly inside and throwing out hot plastic.  I think its fixable, just need to open it up, and i can use the rotozip for tight corners (inside/ cavity).

$10 rotozip:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/300247/20200919_080504_jpg-1598197.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/300247/20200919_080533_jpg-1598199.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/300247/20200919_080458_jpg-1598200.JPG

There was a recall and original owner, though never having used it, had both the new handle issued with recall, and the old one, along with circle cutting fixture, basic bit set and both 1/8 and 1/4" collets. I think its worth opening it up and digging out whatever plastic flash is caught up in it. The original receipt was also in the box, and it was over $125 IIRC.
View Quote

Broke open the $10 Rotozip and found the fan wheel of the armature wasn't properly mounted and was rubbing on the housing. It mostly wore itself into into the housing without going more than halfway thru, and the wheel is epoxied onto the shaft. decided the best course wasn't to press the wheel back down the shaft, but to clean out the melted parts to ensure it cleared and just use it like that since it works as is.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

ETA: rotozip going into the trash unless i can find a way to secure the wheel on the armature shaft.  it keeps walking up the shaft and hitting the housing. there was originally some adhesive on it from the factory but mounting plastic to metal? Maybe staking like on an AR castle nut? or JB weld.. anyone had this issue with a plastic bushing or wheel on a metal shaft?

20 years ago some guy paid $117 for it...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 12:22:19 PM EDT
[#14]
JB Weld is a epoxy with a lot of filler material.

I think unfilled epoxy would be better for this application.

Success depends upon surface prep on shaft and inside hole of fan - lightly abrade and clean with acetone.
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 1:27:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Roll pin, possiblly a bolt catch pin. A couple shallow notches cut into the shaft for an e-clip would probably work too. Hell, a tiny hole drilled thru the shaft to pass a bit of .020 safety wire thru might even do it. You're just trying to prevent it from sliding down the shaft, so a couple wraps of good tape would probably even work for a little while.

ETA: a split shaft collar would be a good permanent fix if you can find one (or two) in the correct ID.
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 4:05:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I guess pawnshop tools are much cheaper in my AO.

I paid $85 for a nearly new Dewalt 2-1/4 hp variable speed with plunge base & fixed base, and it included 1/4" & 1/2" collets.

I milled hickory hardwood floor tongues & grooves with it and it never complained a bit. Several people told me a router wouldn't do it, said I had to get a shaper. I couldn't afford a shaper... router ate that wood just fine! Milling the tongues in 1 pass it was removing a lot of wood.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 12:05:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Meh, power tools are supposed to be yellow but I guess if you twisted my wrist I would have bought it too.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 1:39:53 PM EDT
[#18]
That's an old pos but it's in brand new condition so you have an old new pos.

Will be totally fine for occasional use.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 6:15:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I guess pawnshop tools are much cheaper in my AO.
View Quote

Many in my area look up the retail price for new and ask for that.

The split shaft units rarely run all that well centered and create a poor surface finish.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 9:00:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The split shaft units rarely run all that well centered and create a poor surface finish.
View Quote

Mine ask a % of new but are often willing to come down quite a bit, especially if it's been on the shelf a while.

Some of the tool purchases I can recall.
Dewalt 4.5" angle grinder: $30 OTD
Makita circular saw in nearly new condition with case, fence, and extra blades: $70
Dewalt 18V cordless tools, 2 drills, impact driver, grinder, sawsall plus lots of batts: $120
Plus Dewalt router mentioned above.

I guess my area just has weak resale value on tools.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:05:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's probably web-based now, but the independent shops used to have a series of printed guides to determine value and may or may not adjust for the local economy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top