Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2024 3:32:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Grizz272]
This the second time in a month that my wife's laptop has been locked up because of ransom ware.
I suspect it is coming in from facebook  dog videos.  We are using norton's.   It does not seem to help with this.
Any suggestions on what to use?
What to tell her to stop clicking on?

The computer powered up around 8pm last night with no issues.
This afternoon it power up normally and has been running with out any issues.   No "apparent" sign of the ransom ware.

The wife thinks the stuff came from facebook.  Her favorite site  I think is sketchy the new user sign up sheet seems to have aids and the website owners have not been on the site for months and appears to have not done any up grades in over a year.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 3:49:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pestilence12] [#1]
I doubt its the dog videos.

As for stop clicking, uh just about everything that is unsafe.

There is more going on here if this is the second time this month. Is it the same computer as last time? How was that corrected? Is she using your home network, or going to the mall/school/starbucks and connecting to unsecured wifi there?

Has she ever tried to click past a "This connection is not secure" warning? Did she open a sketchy email? Did she change her email password and preferences for filtering spam the last time this happened?

ETA Do you use a VPN? Have you updated her computer to the latest operating system and latest security profile?

Like I said, a lot going on here.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 3:59:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Get rid of Norton.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 4:05:45 PM EDT
[#3]
You have to provide access to the hacker to enable them to control your PC and thus encrypt it to ransom it. I doubt the affected PC was ever properly cleaned after the first one.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 4:16:59 PM EDT
[#4]
It's time to install a new hard drive and a fresh install of an operating system. Look at bleeping computer for ideas on how to remove the infection. I would consider everything on that computer a total loss from a data standpoint. Bitdefender is the only consumer-grade antivirus I recommend.

There is a reason I run EDR on my personal computers and most of my family as well.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 4:33:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:
You have to provide access to the hacker to enable them to control your PC and thus encrypt it to ransom it. I doubt the affected PC was ever properly cleaned after the first one.
View Quote

You are probably right about not being cleaned the first time.

What is EDR?
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 4:42:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Grizz272:

What is EDR?
View Quote
It's basically a next-generation antivirus. There isn't a whole lot on the non-enterprise market that comes close. I use Sentinel One crowd strike is another.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 4:43:36 PM EDT
[#7]
This is what I point most people personally to.

https://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/premium-security.html
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 5:10:43 PM EDT
[#8]

What is EDR?
View Quote

Basically a smarter antivirus that is proactive at recognizing threats vs reactionary like typical antivirus.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 5:17:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I've had great luck with Trend's internet security.  I briefly switched to Avast I think it was and in less than a month I got hit with ransom ware.  Luckily for me it was a shitty one that you could get around in safe mode.  I immediately went back to Trend.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 5:21:20 PM EDT
[#10]
She needs to stop opening attachments, even PDF and Office documents can get you now.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 10:07:46 PM EDT
[#11]
As the battery near no power some windows opened and I found out that Norton's update been turnoff.   I will start from there.  Norton's has been updated and the computer reset.  The computer reset and came up normally then the battery died .   We are waiting for the battery to recharge before we turn the computer back on and see what happens.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 9:10:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: farfromhome] [#12]
No need for "total protection". Block ads, every ad.

Explain to your wife now fakecrap is mind poison. I am pretty sure you can log into facecrap via Tor.

I use linux but I am surprised when I see an ad, not on my PC.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 9:26:49 AM EDT
[#13]
The wife thinks the stuff came from facebook.  Her favorite site  I think is sketchy the new user sign up sheet seems to have aids and the website owners have not been on the site for months and appears to have not done any up grades in over a year.
View Quote

I have concerns about this paragraph, that I think some other people have missed.

Are you talking about Facebook's "new user sign up sheet?" Are you saying that Facebook's website owners "have not been on the site and appears to have not done any up grades in over a year?" That's what it seems like you're saying, but that doesn't make any sense.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 9:30:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 1:52:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Gunner226:

I have concerns about this paragraph, that I think some other people have missed.

Are you talking about Facebook's "new user sign up sheet?" Are you saying that Facebook's website owners "have not been on the site and appears to have not done any up grades in over a year?" That's what it seems like you're saying, but that doesn't make any sense.
View Quote

This a totality different website from Facebook.  The sites name is   Swapbot.  The idea for the site is swapping stuff from one person another.  There is a section swapping art that you have drawn yourself.  That is the website where the owners have apparently not done any regular site maintenance for over a yr.   I know people have tried to buy the site but the owners have declined or not responded to the offers.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 3:57:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Well the wife did it again.  Now she has learned not to follow links.   Just got her pc up and working again.
She knows exactly what she did and followed a link from facebook right to a locked up pc.
I think she will listen now.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 4:30:26 PM EDT
[#17]
you create an admin account, drop her access to standard user so she can run executibles from her account.
that will slow it down or stop it.
too many people running admin accounts when they don't need it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 6:45:10 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't think the OP's wife is actually getting ransomwared.  That term usually means all your files get encrypted and you are forced to pay ransom in crypto to get the key to decode your own files.  

I think what is happening here is malicious websites popping up a scary sounding window that cannot be easily closed, usually via a javascript exploit.   You can very easily prevent these by using a better web browser such as Brave and set the security level to the highest setting.   You can also use various plugins on other browsers to increase their security in order to not allow this sort of stuff.

If you pony up for the Malwarebytes Pro subscription they have a web browser plug-in that will prevent this as well.  But you can do the same thing for free with other software.

Link Posted: 3/8/2024 7:02:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Which browser is she using?  I've seen a few extensions that would re-direct users, and could be sending the user to a site that cannot be exited without closing the browser.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 7:30:41 PM EDT
[#20]
ESET  is what you want
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top