Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2021 5:25:23 PM EDT
Currently have an Arris  SURFBoard SB6190 and an ASUS RT-N66U with about 36 or so clients on it. I have 3 wired into the LAN ports and then the rest mixed over the 2.4ghz and 5ghz  radios.

House was built in 1984 and is about 1800 sqf but mostly vertical as it has a drive in basement, 1st and 2nd floor and then an attic. Have a mix of cellphones, chromebook, windows and mac laptops, Roku devices, Nest hubs, WiZ lights and Wyze / Eufy wifi cameras.

The modem is doing fine as I bought it July 2020 but the router is getting up there in years. I can't remember the last time I saw an update for it.

Currently the modem & router live on the 1st floor on the east wall and range seems to be ok except the 2nd floor gets crummy reception (except for directly above the router on the 2nd floor).

I was thinking about the ASUS ZenWiFi AC3000 (CT8) but I don't really have a spot to put the 2nd device that would work well on the 2nd floor other than in a bathroom or child's bedroom.

I was starting to look at the UniFi Dream Machine but I don't know what 2nd access point I would need for the 2nd floor.

Anyone have suggestions for this problem?
I don't mind changing brands/vendors but the router must have at least 3 LAN ports by the modem/router as I have a couple of NAS boxes there for the network.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 5:31:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Orbi mesh
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 5:34:29 PM EDT
[#2]
MESH
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 6:31:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Orbi mesh
View Quote

If you don't feel comfortable messing with any configuration this is the answer...If you want to save some $ and have better performance with more configuration and time to set up then go with Ubiquiti.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 11:20:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I have an Asus RT-AX58U.  I just added an Asus AC1200.  

You plug in the AC-1200, wait 1 minute, go into the routers main page, click "Mesh", and 2 minutes later, your range is improved, using the same SSID.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 12:03:36 AM EDT
[#5]
UDM.  You can use any of Ubiquiti's regular access points in wireless uplink mode, though they only support a single hop.  Their mesh branded APs can do multiple hops.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 6:58:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Mesh is okay but the throughput could suffer.

You seem tech savvy enough for Ubiquiti products. Use them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top