Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2021 10:23:12 AM EDT
So I am no AV expert...but I can generally figure things out. But, this one stumps me. I have a Roku 4k that was working fine when I went to bed last night. This morning my girls want to stream disney+ so we fire everything up and we get audio but no video from Roku. all the menus work, ect....but when I play video I get a black screen and audio. I had the Roku and a OTA tv receiver running into my surround sound via HDMI and then a single HDMI to the tv (using the surround sound as a video switcher).  if I bypass surround sound and plug it into the HDMI going to the tv everything works fine. I would understand if the video side of the surround sound died...but it was passing OTA and the menus fine......Any ideas?

Jake
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 11:22:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a tv with built-in Roku. Occasionally i will get the black screen with no video. Unplugging tv for about 30 seconds fixes it.  This seems to happen when the roku is installing updates or new themes in the background. It doesnt happen a lot.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 11:36:37 AM EDT
[#2]
See if there is an update available. The data gets mixed.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 12:21:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I have powered down several times....I will unplug it all and leave it for a bit....checked for updates and it says none available. crazy
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 12:54:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a tv with built-in Roku. Occasionally i will get the black screen with no video. Unplugging tv for about 30 seconds fixes it.  This seems to happen when the roku is installing updates or new themes in the background. It doesnt happen a lot.
View Quote
I've never had any issues with the box, but I have a stick on the TV in my office. Recently it's started giving me a black screen. Only if I turn the TV set to the Roku. If that happens, I just flip inputs and flip back and it works. I try to flip to TV now until it boots up. Might give that a shot rather than unplugging the TV.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 1:56:28 PM EDT
[#5]
There was a huge Roku update to 10.5 I think on Thursday night that brick a lot of things check out the Roku website to help you out
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 2:17:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Also, try restarting everything and unplugging HDMI cables and plugging the back in.
Some content requires certain digital right management security things going on and that occurs during the HDMI handshake.
Sometimes things get out of sync and you need to unplug and replug things back in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top