BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 11/19/2018 11:19:47 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:22:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Deployed to the most hazardous stores in the highest crime rate areas no doubt. Maybe stores with a record of armed robberies already. Worth getting into a shootout (and fired) for $32/hr?
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:23:53 AM EDT
[#2]
$32 an hour? Wow!
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:25:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Deployed to the most hazardous stores in the highest crime rate areas no doubt. Maybe stores with a record of armed robberies already. Worth getting into a shootout (and fired) for $32/hr?
View Quote
Unless you're a cop taking security gigs as secondary jobs/overtime/special duty it isn't worth it to take a job like this.

As a non-LEO you're not allowed to do much and can get into all sorts of legal and civil trouble.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:25:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I live in the Tulsa area.

Most off-duty cops here want $35/hr just to sit on their ass and play computer Solitaire or surf the internet while waiting for something to happen. They don't want to WORK for it. You should be happy they graced you with their mere presence.

I'll be surprised if they get anyone with a commission card to run a cash register and empty trash cans while having to deal with snotty panhandlers begging in front of the stores.

ETA: And you're an idiot if you work security without a full LEO commission in Tulsa. They will throw you UNDER the bus the first time you have to defend your life against any "protected classes"   (...read: Rich and Vibrant ) even if they're trying to run you down and kill you with their hoopty-car.

Tulsa, the libtard capitol of Oklahoma
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:25:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
Don't some backwoods police departments pay less than that?

ETA: Everyone can stop pointing out how little other departments make
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:26:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm in for the awesome security cam videos of would be thieves getting ventilated.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:28:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
I work in a fairly decent sized department for this area....and I make half that as a 15 year guy.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:29:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Guy out of the .mil with not much but combat arms, the proper training, etc, seems like a decent gig, 50hrs per week would gross 90+ k
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:29:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Most cops make much less than 32 dollars an hour to start.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:30:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
... Worth getting into a shootout (and fired) for $32/hr?
View Quote
... fuck no
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:31:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Interesting.  QT has tended to look the other way when employees carried on duty.  They have also always done a lot to encourage police to come and hang out in their stores.

Good on them.

Used to know one of the dudes that helped found QT.  He was a cool old dude.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:32:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There are a lot of police and sheriff  departments that pay less that $15 an hour.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:32:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I work in a fairly decent sized department for this area....and I make half that as a 15 year guy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:32:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:33:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I wouldn't take a job like this that expects me to stock the candy bar section, work a register and carry a gun.
View Quote
Neither will any other commissioned officer in this state.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:34:05 AM EDT
[#16]
$32 an hour is more than some full time cops get here in Souhern Colorado.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:34:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I wouldn't take a job like this that expects me to stock the candy bar section, work a register and carry a gun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Unless you're a cop taking security gigs as secondary jobs/overtime/special duty it isn't worth it to take a job like this.

As a non-LEO you're not allowed to do much and can get into all sorts of legal and civil trouble.
On the contrary, I think being able to do it armed would make those menial tasks much more interesting
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:36:13 AM EDT
[#18]
That's a base pay of $66,560.  Considering US household median income is ~62k/yr and this employment is in Kansas.  They ought to find a few takers.

I would do it if I was out of work.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:36:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Such is life.

I have the best job on earth, a good schedule, and most of my bills are paid on time. My kids aren't hungry, and I have enough extra to play every now and then. In a few years I can draw a pension check for enough to hopefully invest while I start my next career.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:37:28 AM EDT
[#20]
What, exactly, is their "corporate culture"?

That would be my first question.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:37:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Oddly enough, I happen to know a number of guys in that area who are commissioned, and who have interviewed.

$32/hr is crazy money in Oklahoma, especially in this field.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:41:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
$32 an hour? Wow!
View Quote
QT has always had the highest pay scales for cashier jobs at a gas station. 20 years ago they were paying regular cashiers $12-$14 per hour. I love QT as their stations are always clean and their cashiers are fast. No long waits in line there. Unfortunately they have been selling their stores in my area to Circle K which is one of the nastiest chains with employees that all look like they might rob you instead of you robbing them.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:42:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
QT has always had the highest pay scales for cashier jobs at a gas station. 20 years ago they were paying regular cashiers $12-$14 per hour. I love QT as their stations are always clean and their cashiers are fast. No long waits in line there. Unfortunately they have been selling their stores in my area to Circle K which is one of the nastiest chains with employees that all look like they might rob you instead of you robbing them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
$32 an hour? Wow!
The threat of being robbed is a small price to pay for delicious Polar Pop
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:45:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Interesting.  QT has tended to look the other way when employees carried on duty.  They have also always done a lot to encourage police to come and hang out in their stores.

Good on them.

Used to know one of the dudes that helped found QT.  He was a cool old dude.
View Quote
Lots of them around me have little offices set up in back for cops to use as sub stations. You usually see a marked unit or two in the parking lot at any given time. It's a smart strategy as the closest QT by me has never been robbed but the Caseys a few blocks down the road from it gets robbed once or twice a month it seems.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:45:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:47:04 AM EDT
[#26]
And I will just say it.

QT > Buc-ee's.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:47:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I imagine it's better than wrestling with some lice infested bum who just shit his pants for $12/hr less which is standard non OT rates for cops around here.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:48:04 AM EDT
[#28]
I had to break out a classic for this.

Quoted:
And I will just say it.

QT > Buc-ee's.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:48:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:48:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Damn.
View Quote
Yeah..I used to worry about it....but at this point, its not a big deal. If I want to keep doing this, and live anywhere close to here, this is what it pays. Luckily, cost of living is cheap, and the wife has a pretty decent gig....so life goes on.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:50:28 AM EDT
[#31]
As a guy looking for a retirement job this has my interest.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:51:08 AM EDT
[#32]
This will be a cop only gig in Georgia. Although QT here rarely gets robbed.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:51:15 AM EDT
[#33]
I am sure it is working nights and most people hate working nights
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:51:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
$32 an hour? Wow!
QuikTrip has cheap fountain soda too and you don't have to wade through a sticky puddle or face Sh'donnarehhea and her 6" press on fingernails of doom to get it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:51:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
$32 an hour? Wow!
View Quote
to guard a store and possibly take a bullet for a packet of smokes and 50 in the till

works out perfect
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:52:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Why in Gods name are they making the armed clerks "identifiable"?

I might work for that much, but not if I have to wear a sign that says "shoot me first ".
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:53:23 AM EDT
[#37]
I like their chocolate-cholcolate donuts. I could watch them for $32/hr.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:54:26 AM EDT
[#38]
God help the area if some kid gets popped with skittles and tea in his pocket

I'd need some significant bonefides before taking that one. Legal and liability concerns out the ass, what the SOP/ROE is gonna be, and QI would be nice
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:59:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Such is life.

I have the best job on earth, a good schedule, and most of my bills are paid on time. My kids aren't hungry, and I have enough extra to play every now and then. In a few years I can draw a pension check for enough to hopefully invest while I start my next career.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Such is life.

@Zebra120

Membership- Bronze

Username:

** Please log out for account upgrade to take effect.
Bless you and your family sir. A small token from a fat bald overweight guy with barely enough balls to post on here, much less to wear the uniform.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 12:00:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Looks like I’m moving to Kansas. There really ain’t anything around these parts that calls for an 11B’s background. I tried to do the PMC thing years ago, (2010ish) but I wasn’t HSLD enough.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 12:00:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
@pale_pony

I am in Caddo county and none of the LEO's here make anywhere close to $32 an hour.  I am sure any of them would jump on something like this if we had a QT close enough.  I have only seem them in OKC.
There is one local LEO working night security at a nearby cotton gin, I can only imagine they are paying maybe 9 or 10 an hour, he would jump a over $32 an hour.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 12:00:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
All the ones around here (Rural area) pay much less, unless you have some rank, even then...
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 12:01:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I might work for that much, but not if I have to wear a sign that says "shoot me first ".
View Quote
Because a visibly armed guard constantly on site reduces the chance someone robs them.

They don't want anyone to get shot. At the same time they don't want to get robbed.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 12:02:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Bet this works better than putting up some stupid "No guns allowed" sign.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 12:02:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
I missed where it said they were.

They are using the same rational logic that being in an armed society is. Who has a gun? Could be anyone.
Furthermore, with using LE/MIL only, they are rolling the dice in their favor of having people with a little bit of steel in their backbone (notice I did not say guarantee).
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 12:02:38 PM EDT
[#46]
For those of you saying "no way", realize that the QT police will be making more than many real police officers. Hell, a 20 year sergeant around here makes less than that.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 12:03:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
QuikTrip has cheap fountain soda too and you don't have to wade through a sticky puddle or face Sh'donnarehhea and her 6" press on fingernails of doom to get it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
$32 an hour? Wow!
Not the same without that extra thiccc styrofoam cup
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 12:06:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
And I will just say it.

QT > Buc-ee's.
View Quote
This probably deserves its own thread.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 12:06:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
A lot of cops make half or less than half of that and the majority of their transactions are with criminals.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 12:08:41 PM EDT
[#50]
My daughter worked at several QTs in St. Louis over the last few years.  She worked her way up to management and put her in charge of her own store.

From talking to her, It all went down hill for when they moved her to a hood store and she worked the overnight shift.  
She said most of the time she worked 10-12 hour shifts and was mostly alone.  Hardly any overlap, so she could hardly ever could take a break, even to go to the bathroom as the register and store would be unattended and the place would get emptied out.

She said it sucked as they could not do anything to prevent theft and the "Shrinkage" caused her to loose pay/bonuses...

She left and ended up taking a management spot at some craft store closer to where she lives...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top