Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/5/2023 10:22:26 PM EDT
I sliced my left hand thumb pad wide open last night while putting the dishes into the dish washer, not paying attention and reaching into the sink which had a larger knife sitting in it that I used earlier while making dinner. It cut almost to the bone, definitely into the fatty layer based on the Dr. visit this morning for a look at a tetanus shot. It was a good bleeder, certainly had to wash down the sink after.

First time using Quik clot, pretty sure it was from a GD thread about a year and a half ago when people were talking about building IFAK's and med kits. It shut down and clotted the bleed surprisingly quickly, no mad dash to the ER at 10:30 PM.

Anyway, a quick PSA to keep a package of Quik clot readily available. It worked well and did it's job, you'll never know when you need it (even while doing dishes), and it's not that expensive.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 10:29:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Use chito gauze instead.

Regular use of motion, aspirin, or nsaids will inhibit their effectiveness.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 10:31:14 PM EDT
[#2]
PSA for large wounds ..........

"Product is not absorbable and must be removed from wound prior to wound closure."  In other words if you use it on a gaping wound you'll have a bigger gaping wound after the prep but will probably live.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 10:36:01 PM EDT
[#3]
What quik clot variant did you use?
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 10:38:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I sliced my left hand thumb pad wide open last night while putting the dishes into the dish washer, not paying attention and reaching into the sink which had a larger knife sitting in it that I used earlier while making dinner. It cut almost to the bone, definitely into the fatty layer based on the Dr. visit this morning for a look at a tetanus shot. It was a good bleeder, certainly had to wash down the sink after.

First time using Quik clot, pretty sure it was from a GD thread about a year and a half ago when people were talking about building IFAK's and med kits. It shut down and clotted the bleed surprisingly quickly, no mad dash to the ER at 10:30 PM.

Anyway, a quick PSA to keep a package of Quik clot readily available. It worked well and did it's job, you'll never know when you need it (even while doing dishes), and it's not that expensive.
View Quote

I sliced off the very tip of my finger. It would not stop bleeding with Gauze/ Pressure. I remembered I had some quick clot and I was amazed at how well it worked. However it fucking stings, and oddly enough you feel heat. It's worth the money though for sure.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 10:39:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm not a doctor, but I believe Celox impregnated bandages are preferred over the QuickClot powder. From what I remember, the QuickClot stuff is medium nasty and needs to be scrubbed from the wound before closure.  I think it is also exothermic and can cause burns. It will stop the bleeding though.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 10:40:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Glad it helped you out, OP. Thanks for the head-up, never heard of this.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 10:40:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Use chito gauze instead.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Use chito gauze instead.

Interesting info. I don't regularly take pain killers so I think i'll be OK. I didn't know NAR made a clotting gauze, i'll have to buy some since I need to replenish my supplies now.

Quoted:

This one. It came in a 2 pack, i think it was $20 on amazon last year when i bought it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 10:41:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Maybe just use direct pressure next time?  Does not sound like a life threatening injury at all.  More of a simple boo boo.  Waste of quick clot.  IFAKs are for life threatening trauma, not for treating boo boos.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 10:47:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Maybe just use direct pressure next time?  Does not sound like a life threatening injury at all.  More of a simple boo boo.  Waste of quick clot.  IFAKs are for life threatening trauma, not for treating boo boos.
View Quote

Hey when that thing is steady dripping even after 5-10 minutes of pressure, a $10 gauze packet looks like a solid option to contain things. Quik clot + pressure did it. Even when the Dr looked at it this morning (did not leave the quik clot on overnight, fresh bandages for sleeping) there still was a little residual bleeding occurring. So it was not a 100% stop the bleed.

Still worth the minor cost I think. You can always buy more.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 10:49:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Extremity wounds get TQs.

Dibbs on ammo.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 10:54:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Interesting info. I don't regularly take pain killers so I think i'll be OK. I didn't know NAR made a clotting gauze, i'll have to buy some since I need to replenish my supplies now.

https://i.imgur.com/e6znqw3.jpg

This one. It came in a 2 pack, i think it was $20 on amazon last year when i bought it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Use chito gauze instead.

Quoted:

I was picking those up for less than 5 bucks a pop from my wifes work.  

Haven't used any..  But I have em.  Now I need to get some TQ's for the kit.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 10:57:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Use chito gauze instead.

Quoted:

Nothing wrong with Quick clot if you don't. It works well. If you keep stuff around for helping strangers then look into the chito gauze because you may not know what they take.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 1:26:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm not a doctor, but I believe Celox impregnated bandages are preferred over the QuickClot powder. From what I remember, the QuickClot stuff is medium nasty and needs to be scrubbed from the wound before closure.  I think it is also exothermic and can cause burns. It will stop the bleeding though.
View Quote

That's what the trainers in a Stop-the-Bleed training told us.  Use it only as a last resort or if the wound is really big.  They said that sometimes they get people in the ER who used it in (relatively) small wounds and cleaning things up makes the wound worse and more painful.

I had a deep cut on my leg's shin when I hit a tool cabinet's open drawer in my garage.  The bleeding wouldn't stop but I kept wrapping it tightly while doing my best to ignore the pain until it stopped.  

Link Posted: 9/6/2023 1:33:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Hey when that thing is steady dripping even after 5-10 minutes of pressure, a $10 gauze packet looks like a solid option to contain things. Quik clot + pressure did it. Even when the Dr looked at it this morning (did not leave the quik clot on overnight, fresh bandages for sleeping) there still was a little residual bleeding occurring. So it was not a 100% stop the bleed.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it was still dripping after 5-10 min it means there wasn't enough pressure.

Tourniquets at the right pressure are painful, sometimes more than the wound itself.  Tighten it until bleed stops.  Relieve pressure after 30 minutes so you don't have necrosis.  

I usually have a tourniquet close by and one bag of quick clot.  Used the tourniquet but luckily never needed the quick clot.

Link Posted: 9/6/2023 1:44:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Just use a piece of white bread

The squishy stuff that lasts for forever

Smush it around the wound, it probably works as well as quick clot and costs 7 cents

Sterile
Cheap
Absorbant

Now if your femoral artery is nicked, yeah sure use the quick clot and tourniquet
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 2:14:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Only the really old version of QuickClot burns and causes issues.  Stuff with in the past 10 years should be much better.

That said, I much prefer Celox as it does not rely on the body's clotting factors at all.  So people on blood thinners, hemophiliacs, etc will still clot on Celox gauze.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 8:34:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That's what the trainers in a Stop-the-Bleed training told us.  Use it only as a last resort or if the wound is really big.  They said that sometimes they get people in the ER who used it in (relatively) small wounds and cleaning things up makes the wound worse and more painful.

I had a deep cut on my leg's shin when I hit a tool cabinet's open drawer in my garage.  The bleeding wouldn't stop but I kept wrapping it tightly while doing my best to ignore the pain until it stopped.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's only with the loose powder. The impregnated gauze is fine
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 8:35:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Smush it around the wound, it probably works as well as quick clot and costs 7 cents

Sterile
Cheap
Absorbant

Now if your femoral artery is nicked, yeah sure use the quick clot and tourniquet
View Quote

Where do you buy sterile bread?
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 8:56:39 AM EDT
[#19]
I need to get some more. Unfortunately seems to be he’s to find a deal on it. Any leads?
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 8:58:21 AM EDT
[#20]
For the best clotting, I use the Pfizer experimental gene therapy.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 9:01:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

You have to boil it. Carry a dumpling just in case.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 9:03:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Tourniquets at the right pressure are painful, sometimes more than the wound itself.  Tighten it until bleed stops.  Relieve pressure after 30 minutes so you don't have necrosis.  

I usually have a tourniquet close by and one bag of quick clot.  Used the tourniquet but luckily never needed the quick clot.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, you don't relieve pressure.  You get to the hospital.  You have several hours before there's a problem.

Otherwise a wound that can have a tourniquet removed after half an hour without a hospital probably didn't need a tourniquet.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 9:08:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Extremity wounds get TQs.

Dibbs on ammo.
View Quote

TQ for a thumb?
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 9:29:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Trying not to break your balls here, but who puts nice kitchen knives in a dishwasher?

Leave dishwashing and other dangerous chores to your wife.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 9:47:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Sterile
Cheap
Absorbant

View Quote

where tf you finna put a TQ if you’re femoral artery is nicked?  

around your torso?!    jeezum.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 10:09:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

where tf you finna put a TQ if you’re femoral artery is nicked?  

around your torso?!    jeezum.
View Quote

That's when you need a junctional tourniquet
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 10:22:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Not long after the bleeding stops..clean that shit out of the wound. Preferably while it is still a bit damp and will wash out more easily.
Re bandage with a butterfly or get stitches if it’s big enough.

I was on an island. Had an unfortunate accident and ended up with a large knife wound on my calf. Buddy stuffed that shit in it. It works great. Stopped the bleeding.
Doctor was not on the island. I cleaned it a bit later but left too much in there for 2 days all wrapped up.
Infected..doc comes back. I go to see him. Shakes his head..

Umm..scrubbing it out was ahh.. ugly. Doc tried to numb it but digging down into it to clean what he could get to was eye opening. Large scar for years.

PSA..only use it if you can’t get the bleeding under control some other way or you know it’s potentially bad and need time to get medical help.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 10:32:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 10:50:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 11:41:31 AM EDT
[#30]
I just checked my first aid roll, I found some celox packets, with an expiration date of 2010, I have doubts about the efficacy of it today.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 11:44:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Once upon a time I was in a pistol class

This bro launched one that hit himself in his ass and came out above his knee. All on the right side of the leg

I was just about to pour so much quick clot in that guy until another guy was like nooooo dont do that

I learned then and there that quick clot is only for extreme gushing wounds

Never thought about how you had to pick all that shit out later on

Gauzed the guy up and sent him to the ER
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 11:49:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Cool that the quik clot worked. the last time I cut a finger, the next day it started hurting really bad. Took me too long to figure out the bandage just needed to be loosened to allow it to swell.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 11:52:49 AM EDT
[#33]
I thought Quickclot had a newer version that did not burn/sting when applied?
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 11:56:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Why are so many of you carrying the granuals? Use impregnated gauze and pack it after a tq.

Obviously not needed in the ops case though
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 12:12:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Why are so many of you carrying the granuals? Use impregnated gauze and pack it after a tq.

Obviously not needed in the ops case though
View Quote

Because this is GD. Where they’ll spend $3K on an optic, but bitch about $50 for a Celox/QuikClot Z-fold.

The Celox powder seems ok for small basic first aid on blood thinner patients. I assume the only reason it’s still relevant for people’s trauma kits is it’s cheap and what often comes in the already assembled kits.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 12:12:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Farnam Wonder Dust from your local farm supply store or amazon.

4 oz bottle for about $10.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 12:20:10 PM EDT
[#37]
There is some dated/erroneous info in this thread- folks need to get out there and update their medical plans and kits.  If nothing else, take a simple Stop the Bleed course- the life you save could be your own.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 12:31:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I just checked my first aid roll, I found some celox packets, with an expiration date of 2010, I have doubts about the efficacy of it today.
View Quote

I asked the same question last time I checked my celox gauze. Guys here said it's still gtg

this is my go to.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/6/2023 12:34:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Nothing wrong with Quick clot if you don't. It works well. If you keep stuff around for helping strangers then look into the chito gauze because you may not know what they take.
View Quote

Posting for a knowledge check.
I remember being taught to opt for quick clot because it was a better hemostatic than chito gauze and worked independent of the coagulation cascade as opposed to being a mucoadhesive. Am I misunderstanding that?
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 12:36:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I sliced off the very tip of my finger. It would not stop bleeding with Gauze/ Pressure. I remembered I had some quick clot and I was amazed at how well it worked. However it fucking stings, and oddly enough you feel heat. It's worth the money though for sure.
View Quote

It does actually heat up. The big packs of powder dumped into a large wound can get excessively hot. Also, you don't want to try and use one when it's windy - you do NOT want it in your eyes. This is the why the impregnated sponges and bandages are now preferred to the packs of powder for most purposes.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 3:39:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still overkill IMO and unnecessary.  But, if you have an IFAK, your are likely to start looking for a reason to start using it to justify the expense.  Glad your boo boo got taken care of.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 3:45:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

ok that part is made up, but the rest is accurate
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 3:58:59 PM EDT
[#43]
In 2021 I punched a knife through the webbing of my hand between my thumb and index finger while gutting a deer. Didn't split it but the tip came out through my palm. Blade edge was facing in.

Super quick in and out. Blood was squirting a couple feet. I was  in the woods about 500 yards from anyone with spotty almost nonexistent cell service.

Had compressed gauze, a 4" Israeli bandage and a pack of quikclot granules that expired in 2012.

That stuff still worked. Burned like hell though. I made it to an ER and got patched up. They numbed it up pretty good so I didn't really feel them scrubbing the granules out
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 4:02:56 PM EDT
[#44]
What about "wound seal?"  Is that any good?
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 4:47:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
live tissue lab time!

... your neighbor have a pig they don't pay attention to?

This seems like a good addition to the suturing thread a few pages down...
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 9:32:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Use chito gauze instead.

View Quote

One of those rare cases of ....

Thank you for spending my money and I learned soemthing useful in this thread.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 12:26:55 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Because this is GD. Where they’ll spend $3K on an optic, but bitch about $50 for a Celox/QuikClot Z-fold.

The Celox powder seems ok for small basic first aid on blood thinner patients. I assume the only reason it’s still relevant for people’s trauma kits is it’s cheap and what often comes in the already assembled kits.
View Quote

In this case since I just looked on amazon again, it's 12.50/$24.99 on amazon per z fold gauze. Joeflation I guess from a year or two ago, still worth it to keep in the house or kitchen in my case, or on a boat, or when doing outdoor things. It's cheap insurance to buy time, in a worse case scenario is how I look at it. Clearly a thumb did not need a TQ as others mentioned but it did prevent an ER visit at 10:30pm and allowed me to go to my primary care doctor, since I have a HDHP with a HSA that I use as an investment account, for a lot less money.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 12:38:24 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

No, you don't relieve pressure.  You get to the hospital.  You have several hours before there's a problem.

Otherwise a wound that can have a tourniquet removed after half an hour without a hospital probably didn't need a tourniquet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The hole in my shin wouldn't stop bleeding until I wrapped it very tight.  I did not use quick clot and after about half an hour I loosened it a bit and it had stopped.  Still went to the hospital where they gave me an anti-tetanus boost, since mine was expired.  It was a small but deep cut because of the metal sheet that acted like a blade.  

Link Posted: 9/7/2023 12:40:34 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

This is outdated.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is outdated.

What's the current procedure?

Link Posted: 9/7/2023 12:52:01 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

We were told to carry quickclot on my local sar team for the sole reason of possible allergic reactions to gauzes with chitosan which is derviced from shellfish.

Quickclot has been shown to be effective with most prescription blood thinners and aspirin.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top