Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 4/12/2022 11:19:40 AM EDT
Instead of quitting a job, just throttle down and do just enough to avoid being fired. Depending on the job, and the shift, that can be shockingly little. Some workers, especially government/union/third shifters, have been doing this for years. It can be done in a regular day job office environment too, or even a blue collar job depending on the job.

Police "smile and wave". Military "retired on active duty". There are a million examples.

Some people give everything to their jobs. Others, not so much.

Who's had experience with this, either themselves or a coworker or someone you know?

What is Quiet Quitting? & Why Are So Many of Us Doing It?
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:21:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I am very happy my job and pay over baseline salary is production based...

I do more work, I get more money.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:22:41 AM EDT
[#2]
"We pretend to work and they pretend to pay us."

As they used to say in the USSR

Personally I love my job.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:23:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I used to know a guy who would make shifting noises and motions when he’d shift into low gear for work.  Lol.  Pretty good guy actually but was just sick of all the bullshit at work.  

Imagine being a police officer in Minneapolis.  I’d be shifting into low gear for sure.  High gear gets you depersoned and thrown to the mob.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:23:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I like working.  At least to a point.  I enjoy my field and getting things done is rewarding.  I'd still do it if I weren't getting paid, but I wouldn't be doing it for someone else to make money off.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:24:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Shuffle a few papers whenever the boss walks in, eh?
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:25:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:26:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am very happy my job and pay over baseline salary is production based...

I do more work, I get more money.
View Quote

Production is a good way to go if you like to work hard. Immediate recognition. Much better than a "bonus" that never materializes at a lot of places.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:27:17 AM EDT
[#8]
I can't. The new people get assigned things, they have no idea how to do it, our boss says "Ask raven to help you."
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:27:44 AM EDT
[#9]
nevah been done befo

Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:28:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I had a network admin job years ago where I scattered computer parts around my desk. Kept a PC under the desk and every day I'd put it on the desk and take off the side. Every day. If my door opened I'd pick up a handy screwdriver.

When I walked down the hall (often for no reason) I'd put a power cord or something around my neck.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:28:48 AM EDT
[#11]
I used to go above and beyond because we were told it would factor into raises.

President of our company comes through blabs about IT salaries not knowing I'm the sole IT and not physical security person... Assuming my boss had a chat with him because he tells me the next day if I can do some extra work I'll hit those numbers soon..

I'm like well I help other units to ensure the physical security people's lives are easier.

Well that's not our contract so that doesn't benefit you at all.

Touche so what your saying is do more work where I'm at where I'm doing all the work... Check so now I don't ONLY what I'm required to and people are suffering because of it. But sorry not sorry, my workday went from 10 hours to 3 or 4 tops
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:28:59 AM EDT
[#12]

He's an inspiration to so many.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:29:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:29:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Well…
I got paid for 30+ years to go sport fishing…so. Yeah !
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:29:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I can't. The new people get assigned things, they have no idea how to do it, our boss says "Ask raven to help you."
View Quote

You probably shouldn't give your arfcom username to your boss.  Just sayin'...
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:30:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Seems dishonest and a good way to create micromanagers.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:30:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I used to know a guy who would make shifting noises and motions when he’d shift into low gear for work.  Lol.  Pretty good guy actually but was just sick of all the bullshit at work.  

Imagine being a police officer in Minneapolis.  I’d be shifting into low gear for sure.  High gear gets you depersoned and thrown to the mob.
View Quote

Or a union shop where you get a "talking to" for "making people look bad" if you work "too fast". No reason not to slow down and chill there. No benefit to working hard.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:31:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I had a network admin job years ago where I scattered computer parts around my desk. Kept a PC under the desk and every day I'd put it on the desk and take off the side. Every day. If my door opened I'd pick up a handy screwdriver.

When I walked down the hall (often for no reason) I'd put a power cord or something around my neck.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol, I occasionally carry a clipboard around and pretend to be looking for parts on my "list"
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:31:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Seems dishonest and a good way to create micromanagers.
View Quote

It happens all day, every day, at many, many places. Micromanagers gonna micromanage, no matter who works under them.

A skillful slacker welcomes the challenge.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:31:23 AM EDT
[#20]
I just spent 30 minutes troubleshooting my laptop's dock.  I guess I'm done for the day.  
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:31:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Aka being a government employee.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:31:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Lol, I occasionally carry a clipboard around and pretend to be looking for parts on my "list"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aaaaaaah, the Warrant Officer Package.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:31:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

How to do nothing all day at work:
"Hold a clipboard, walk quickly, and look a little worried."

Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:32:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Aka being a government employee.
View Quote

And there you don't have to hide it. Especially if you're "oppressed".
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:32:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Most people only work as much as it takes to stay employed already.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:33:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Many people aren't quitting because they dislike their job, they are quitting because someone else will pay them more for the same or less work.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:34:51 AM EDT
[#27]
I had a college environmental science class tour the local sewage treatment plant once. They had this disgruntled old guy give us the tour. He was complaining the whole time about how lazy his coworkers were. One of the stops on his tour was a hidden storage room where he showed us the mattresses they had on the floor to sleep every shift and the TV they had smuggled in. Union job. They were completely untouchable.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:35:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Always carry a stack of papers and act like you’re in a rush and overwhelmed
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:36:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Many people aren't quitting because they dislike their job, they are quitting because someone else will pay them more for the same or less work.
View Quote

Indeed. For years companies have had a policy of only small raises, if any, but then paying new people more. Now there are enough jobs that people can fix the problem by getting a new job themselves. In a lot of industries. It's the only way to really move up.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:36:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Corporate law is to promote those who do the least. Welcome to the club.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:37:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Personally I fear promotion like a vampire fears sunlight. I have a medium high level tech job and it's perfect.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:43:20 AM EDT
[#32]
My current job kind of like being in an assembly line with other people at other stations. Right now, there’s a bottleneck down the line and there’s little incentive for me to be more productive.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:44:01 AM EDT
[#33]
My last job I did just enough to get by.  We had a boss that considered you instantly expendable whether you had been there ten minutes or ten years, and everybody knew his attitude.  He was known to fire long-time employees if they got sick, or if he had a buddy that needed a job.  He had zero loyalty to anyone.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:46:25 AM EDT
[#34]
I have spent 20 years at the same building, different jobs, through three mergers, to become a subject matter expert, and to apply that experience and expertise daily.

I have given 20 years of my skills, knowledge, experience, expertise, and LOYALTY to a company that barely compensates me properly for it, and doesn’t give me recognition for my major accomplishments and contributions that advance the goals and strategy of the organization.

Because of that, I have full plans of leaving. Until I get out, I will continue to provide the amount of work they are paying me to do. No more, no less. That’s what I agreed to when I accepted the most recent job and the most recent pay offer.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:47:45 AM EDT
[#35]
At one point my boss was this little woman that wore high heels to work, you would hear her click, click footsteps as she approached the bullpen area, everyone stopped playing games and pulled up the production tables.
Does that count?
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:49:08 AM EDT
[#36]

Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:49:10 AM EDT
[#37]
You could do the same shitty job of parenting too…
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:49:31 AM EDT
[#38]
I work for a large silicon valley company. I've heard that approximately 30% of our employees are new since the scamdemic started 2ish years ago. It is tough to get raises and promos. I've seen many 20+ year employees walk for better pay. I can see on my team that quiet quitting is definitely impacting one of my team mates. I'm in line for a promotion to manager, and not sure I really want it. I doubt it will come with much of a raise. Maybe I'll get some stock grants. I have ~6-10 years before I retire depending on a few variables.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:50:54 AM EDT
[#39]
So is "Quiet Quitting" the new term for Union pace?
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:51:22 AM EDT
[#40]
I know an IT guy that was "working from home" for a couple of years.  He would always return calls, but he was usually hard to reach, and frequently skipped meetings.  
He resigned.  On the way out, he admitted that he had been simultaneously "working from home" for another employer for more than six months.  

Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:51:37 AM EDT
[#41]
If you don't like your job, you don't strike. You just go in there every day and so it really half-assed. That's the American way!
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:52:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Shit, I've been trying to get promoted for years!
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:52:56 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Personally I fear promotion like a vampire fears sunlight. I have a medium high level tech job and it's perfect.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holy shit, yes.

Two months ago, my title was "Sr. Software Engineer". Perfect - I had to deliver something every now and then, but because I've been at this a long time most of my time was spent on calls either showing people how to fix their broken shit or helping them avoid breaking it in the first place. I probably did 20 hours of actual "work" per week.

Now my title is "Sr. Staff Software Engineer". It's Tuesday morning at 11am, and I bet I've already put in 20 hours.

The pay is better, but damn. I'm thinking it'll stabilize once I settle in to the new role. I'm definitely not gunning for the next title any time soon, though!
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:55:21 AM EDT
[#44]
I've had jobs where I adjusted performance to the level of pay/raises. The other side is you can't really complain about raises if you aren't earning it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:56:05 AM EDT
[#45]
The only reason showing up to the office is to say I was at work.

Can't fire me for doing nothing if I'm at my desk, not my fault you didn't give me anything to do.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:57:35 AM EDT
[#46]
I had a few past job where I mastered Godbricking. usually after years of being told a raise or promotion was coming as thanks for my hard, only to see some guy hired last week  get more or a promotion because he was friends with some  one in the old boys club

After that I went directly into the "pretend to be working" mode till I found something else
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:57:59 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I know an IT guy that was "working from home" for a couple of years.  He would always return calls, but he was usually hard to reach, and frequently skipped meetings.  
He resigned.  On the way out, he admitted that he had been simultaneously "working from home" for another employer for more than six months.  

View Quote

This.  If you're not moon-lighting 2-3 jobs from home at the same time, you're not doing it right.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:58:21 AM EDT
[#48]
I am senior management in a Fortune 500.

I’m a slave to the machine.

I’d retire today if I could.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:58:52 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
My last job I did just enough to get by.  We had a boss that considered you instantly expendable whether you had been there ten minutes or ten years, and everybody knew his attitude.  He was known to fire long-time employees if they got sick, or if he had a buddy that needed a job.  He had zero loyalty to anyone.
View Quote

I think a lot of people have felt the same way as you for a long long time. Now the job market is letting us do something about it. For now, anyway.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 12:00:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
At one point my boss was this little woman that wore high heels to work, you would hear her click, click footsteps as she approached the bullpen area, everyone stopped playing games and pulled up the production tables.
Does that count?
View Quote

I once worked as a teacher at a vocational school that taught adults. Our director of education always wore these big high heeled boots and she was very negative and annoying. We'd be in class, quietly doing our thing, and you'd hear this click click click coming down the hall. The students would yell Omar's coming like in The Wire and everyone would make sure to look busy. It spread all over the school. You'd hear her walking and you'd hear Omar's coming from all these different classrooms.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top