Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 5/21/2022 2:42:41 PM EDT
I've never used rds.
I have a MOS Glock I could put a dot on.
I'm sure a dot is advantageous at like 25 yards.
How about speed inside 7-10 yards, which is quicker dot or iron sights?

ETA: specifically keeping hits at speed on a 6" circle at 7-10 yards, not just anywhere on a silhouette. I have to use sights to do that, not point shooting.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 2:44:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm going with irons, but training is the real difference
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 2:45:04 PM EDT
[#2]
FP
NI

Link Posted: 5/21/2022 2:45:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

Point shooting.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 2:47:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Point shooting.
View Quote

We are talking about hitting, not just shooting.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 2:47:22 PM EDT
[#5]
It's irrelevant

Eta ... first post nailed it. Its training and practice
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 2:49:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It's irrelevant
View Quote

Yup
You should be able to close your eyes, draw, and be on target with the same sight picture, regardless of whether you're using dots or irons.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 2:50:30 PM EDT
[#7]
The only difference I have noticed is with multiple targets. I'm a lot faster with a dot on multiples.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 2:51:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Point shooting.
View Quote

My standard is keeping shots at speed on a 6" circle, not just anywhere inside the silhouette. I have to use sights to do that at 7-10 yards.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 2:53:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yea, I updated the OP to be more specific.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 2:54:00 PM EDT
[#10]
A to that distance a flash sight picture (point shooting) is fine.

But the answer is training. If training is equal the answer is dot
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 2:55:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm going with irons, but training is the real difference
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 2:56:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The only difference I have noticed is with multiple targets. I'm a lot faster with a dot on multiples.
View Quote

This. I'm faster and more accurate on 6" steel plates at 10 yds with a dot. Better yet with a circle around the dot.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 2:56:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Muscle memory.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 2:58:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Quoted:

This. I'm faster and more accurate on 6" steel plates at 10 yds with a dot. Better yet with a circle around the dot.
View Quote

These are relevant.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 2:59:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Red Dots have a little bit of training to raise them and find the red dot. It is more difficult than it sounds. Sometimes you will go past it where you don't see it and it is off to the left or right.

I think if I were you iron or point shooting would be better for a while. If you can train some Red Dot would be better around 10 yards but I think I just might shoot center mass as fast as possible.

Does your pistol point really naturally for you? If so maybe Red Dot.

Can you borrow one or go shooting with someone that has one on the same pistol?
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 2:59:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Vision has a lot to do with it.

Visual acuity and skill in using that vision...
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 3:01:04 PM EDT
[#17]
RDS if you are going to line up the front and rear iron sight. If you just use the front sight might be good as.

ETA: assuming good daylight conditions.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 3:01:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Muscle memory.
View Quote

I've been shooting handguns 30+ years.
I'm not a competitor or John Wick but I don't suck either; fair generalization that I can keep 3-4 rounds a second on a 6"circle at 7 yards or so with Glock 17 and fixed sights.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 3:03:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Vision has a lot to do with it.

Visual acuity and skill in using that vision...
View Quote

I'm nearsighted, wear glasses for driving; those glasses tend to fuzz my front sight.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 3:04:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
RDS if you are going to line up the front and rear iron sight. If you just use the front sight might be good as.

ETA: assuming good daylight conditions.
View Quote

Front sight, front sight, front sight
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 3:05:10 PM EDT
[#21]
My GUESS is a dot would be ever so slightly slower only because I suspect we'd try to be a bit more accurate with a dot as opposed to being "close enough!" with irons.

But training training would close that gap to negligible differences I imagine.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 3:06:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Whichever you have more experience with
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 3:07:31 PM EDT
[#23]
OP, have you ever tried shooting at a target 30 feet away with both?

I'll let you in on a secret: sig triggers (or maybe the plastic pistol guys have came up with something equal now?) + RDS is like auto aim in old FPS games. It's retardedly easy seriously, you've gotta try it

Link Posted: 5/21/2022 3:07:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
A to that distance a flash sight picture (point shooting) is fine.

But the answer is training. If training is equal the answer is dot
View Quote

Flash sight picture is not point shooting.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 3:09:37 PM EDT
[#25]
It depends on how much practice you have with a dot and that model of pistol. IME if you change grip angle, etc. the dot can be a bit slower to pick up, it’s less  forgiving to a bad presentation. Some reticle are better than others for this, the Vulcan reticle in the Primary Arms Holosuns has a large circle that helps rectify this and gives instant feedback to a bad presentation, much like irons. On just a dot reticle the dot may be completely out of the window, unlike irons there is no quick reference like the front sight, BUIS help but aren’t as fast to pick up with the MRDS in the way.

Practice alleviates this, but if switching from a VP9 to a Glock, for instance, there can be a bit of a learning curve. Use the same or similar pistols and it’s more of a non issue. VP9 to P320 to 2011 and I don’t notice it. The dot really shines on multiple targets, distance accuracy and target focus. It also make sight radius a nonissue.  If you practice with a dot like you should be irons, it’s not an issue. Just pick up a dot for the first time and there is a learning curve.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 3:10:17 PM EDT
[#26]
All other things being equal an RDS will always be faster.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 3:11:37 PM EDT
[#27]
You should just try both for a few months and put yourself on a timer. Find out what works best for you. I'm using a rmr mostly now.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 3:12:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I'm nearsighted, wear glasses for driving; those glasses tend to fuzz my front sight.
View Quote

I’m in bifocals. I’m way better with the dot if I’m not wearing my glasses then I am with irons. Slightly better seeing the dot then then the front sight with glasses. Part if that is I’m not focused on the dot, I’m focused on the target.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 3:14:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Point shooting.

In a class I trained in that focused partially on point shooting we were continuously hitting shotgun shells against a berm from about 10 yards. Instinctively pointing is quicker then any other possible form of aiming. Not as accurate but I feel like with a small amount in training most would be confident in using it. It all boils down to what you've trained most with and what is comfortable for you.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 3:15:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

These are relevant.
View Quote

As a side note: My first 30 years of handgun shooting was target style, Bullseye or Metallic Silhouette.

Breaking the perfect sight picture came very hard for me, as did slapping (semi joking) at the trigger.

The red dot got my focus off the sights and on the target.

Slow fire, I'm still more accurate with irons. Rapid fire multiple targets, I'm faster with a dot.

Link Posted: 5/21/2022 3:16:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Point shooting....

Why is it bad?

Targets 5 to 6 feet away...

Start shooting when barrel clears stomach....

Link Posted: 5/21/2022 3:17:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
In a class I trained in that focused partially on point shooting we were continuously hitting shotgun shells against a berm from about 10 yards. Instinctively pointing is quicker then any other possible form of aiming. Not as accurate but I feel like with a small amount in training most would be confident in using it.
View Quote

That's true with shotguns...not so much on pistols

But agree with the sentiment that simply shooting your guns, trumps most technical advantages in terms of accuracy.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 3:18:24 PM EDT
[#33]
With proper presentation and consistent fundamentals, a red dot is going to be both faster and more accurate for a given person.

Link Posted: 5/21/2022 3:29:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Red dot
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 3:37:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Sites at that distance are just to confirm not get a hard sight picture. Natural point of aim is king in that range. That being said red dot is faster. Ask yourself which is easier to see and confirm a glowing red dot that is or is not on target or 2 small pieces of iron that you have to confirm that it’s lined up.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 3:39:02 PM EDT
[#36]
If I have no time to aim, I will rely on point shooting as I gain enough time to find my sight picture.

For me, it's easier with a red dot and it's not even close.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 3:43:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Bought a Glock 17 MOS and put a red dot on it. Hated it at first.

Practice , muscle memory and a new set of sights before I got it down. Put a set of raised night sights on and got the co witness correct. I like the red dot a lot more now, but still have a great iron sight picture.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 3:55:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Point shooting.
View Quote

Yep.

That's why I have carried the same two guns for 20+ years.

I've never tried, but I'm pretty sure I could keep a 6" group at 10 yards just by feel (or as someone else said, muscle memory).
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 4:01:01 PM EDT
[#39]
How often do you practice live fire and dry fire
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 4:01:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Red Dot.  With some training.  I’m 51 slightly nearsighted all my life.  Now I can’t focus up close either.  RDS is magic for me.  Single plane focus.  Focus on target.  Present gun. Dot appears.  Bang.  I’m way faster with the dot.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 4:02:24 PM EDT
[#41]
How often do you practice live fire and dry fire
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 4:03:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Front sight
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 4:04:16 PM EDT
[#43]
I will say Irons and FRONT SIGHT only, no need to line up sights that close. Point shooting for that.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 4:15:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I've never used rds.
I have a MOS Glock I could put a dot on.
I'm sure a dot is advantageous at like 25 yards.

ETA: specifically keeping hits at speed on a 6" circle at 7-10 yards, not just anywhere on a silhouette. I have to use sights to do that, not point shooting.
View Quote

Irons
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 4:17:37 PM EDT
[#45]
I have both. RDS are faster, especially if you want to shoot any type of competition. Learning curve? Not really anything half a case of ammo and some range time won't fix. For real life self defense purposes at 7-10 yards, I don't think most people will even use the sights.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 4:20:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Yup
You should be able to close your eyes, draw, and be on target with the same sight picture, regardless of whether you're using dots or irons.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's irrelevant

Yup

Please post a video of you shooting with your eyes closed
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 4:27:54 PM EDT
[#47]
If you somehow find yourself squared off on equal terms against someone like it’s high noon, 30 feet from each other and are not firing from the hip or on the way up…87% chance you lost.
Any hits on 12x14 will be just fine.

Making it a quick draw contest is bold. Best of luck.

Link Posted: 5/21/2022 4:31:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Point shooting.
View Quote

This is my opinion.  Inside of 10 yds, I'm just looking to get something downrange at that point.  I don't have much time left on the counter if my attacker is that close.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 4:49:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Yes inside 10 yards point shooting all the way. At the most just looking down top of slide. People are big targets.

In a real fight that close,  taking time to find the dot or line up sights might get you killed.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 4:55:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Point shooting.
View Quote

Lulz. As long as accuracy isn’t a component, maybe.

Real world measurements will shot dot being the winner given sufficient time and skill level on both.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top