Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2021 3:39:39 PM EDT
I have been lifting weights with a neighbor for the last couple of months. He is a pretty big guy, but has been shedding pounds pretty well since we started. We started out doing 5x5 and have a little time left before we really need to switch. Neither one of us is going into competition lifting. We have both improved our lifting capacity quite a bit, but I am already starting to see diminishing gains.

So I am looking for ideas on a new program. We lift three times a week. Both of us are 38, but fitness level is very different. I am 5’9” 175 lbs, eat pretty clean, walk 2 miles daily, don’t sleep enough. He is 6’ 390lbs (down from 440) doesn’t eat well, and works a desk job. I don’t really have time (knowledge) to sit down and work up a new plan. Any info is appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 3:51:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I think the easy answer is 5/3/1. Pick one of the various templates that best fits your goals. There are multiple apps you can get for logging that make it easy.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 5:14:59 PM EDT
[#2]
5/3/1 is kind of the default move. It's not a program though, it's a method of programming.

You have to be patient with it too.

I just planned out 6 cycles of it with 3 different templates, this is the last week of cycle 1.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 7:05:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Texas Method

https://barbell-logic.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Texas-Method-Variations_Final.pdf

You'll be going from a daily progression to a weekly progression.  Once you stall, then go to 5/3/1 and a monthly progression.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 9:48:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies. I will read up on 5/3/1 and Texas Method.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 12:09:43 AM EDT
[#5]
You could also drop down to 3 sets of 5 reps to push out your gains a little longer.

Here's some additional info on the Texas Method.
Link
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 6:00:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Two very different guys with probably different goals.

Your fitness goals should drive which program(s) you consider.

The 390 lb guy, should be looking at weight loss. High reps training, moderate cardio, and keto.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 1:24:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Two very different guys with probably different goals.

Your fitness goals should drive which program(s) you consider.

The 390 lb guy, should be looking at weight loss. High reps training, moderate cardio, and keto.
View Quote

I agree, but I can get him to stick with this. He has lost about 50lbs. I’m sure it’s hard to push yourself when you’re that big.

The biggest obstacle I’m facing is time. I work 40+, volunteer ff/emt, married with kids. I just don’t have 6-8 hours a week for working out. 5x5 fits pretty well into my schedule.

I want to focus on increasing muscle quality. I have gained size on 5x5, but I feel like I could improve what’s already there.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 7:40:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The biggest obstacle I'm facing is time. I work 40+, volunteer ff/emt, married with kids. I just don't have 6-8 hours a week for working out. 5x5 fits pretty well into my schedule.

I want to focus on increasing muscle quality. I have gained size on 5x5, but I feel like I could improve what's already there.
View Quote

I feel you. I work as an Helicopter Air Ambulance Pilot, 12-14 hour shifts, 14 days on/off. Programming has been difficult to say the list. Fortunately, I have a full gym at work, and at home.

I had a few hitches where the op-tempo was insane. Getting in the gym was tough, and there was significant risk that I would get called out while working out. I found that 531 BBB was a good set-up. 4 days a week, about 45 minutes to 1 hour each workout.

Link Posted: 5/5/2021 8:03:58 PM EDT
[#9]
5/3/1 is what you seek- buy the BOOK.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top