User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:49:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Business Analyst working in software development.

My only suit is sitting in the clothing donation pile. I wore it once in the past seven years (job interview) and it is both out of style and too large for me. I don't plan on replacing it.
View Quote

Save it! All you have to do is eat more and eventually it will come back into style. At least that's what all the guys with three button suits keep telling themselves.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:52:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a couple of suits in the closet.  I haven’t worn them in quite a while, and doubt that they fit…the cotton apparently shrinks in the darkness.
As I begin my transition out of the military, and giving up the Dress Blues and the new Pinks & Greens, I’ll reevaluate the need for a blazer or two depending on where I land after retirement.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:53:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Fuck your city boy suits. If starched jeans and a sport coat is not good enough, I’m out. Then again, I don’t typically associate with the suit wearing types and last time I hopped into one of these threads it blew a sizable chunk of yall’s minds that most of the weddings I’ve been to had the groom wearing starched jeans, a button up western shirt, vest, and maybe a coat.
View Quote

Do you even golf shirt bro?
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:54:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I changed careers 17 years ago and left production agriculture (feedlots and ranches) to be an ag loan officer. Then after a few years went to the large local bank, which was a suit and tie institution. I enjoyed it for the change. We called it wearing “full pads”. I’m now in a khakis environment but I do miss the full pads on occasion.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:56:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Aviation safety profesional here.

T-shirt and shorts today after I change out of my work out shorts and t-shirt.

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:57:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I made sales calls in shorts and flip flops. My customers KNEW that my firm was hands down the BEST deal in my industry. They KNEW I owned it and that my answers to questions were ALWAYS correct. They were willing to PAY for PERFORMANCE.
View Quote

Only Fans?
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:59:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Do you even golf shirt bro?
View Quote

Golf shirt, jeans and boots is practically my uniform.  The value proposition of attending anything requiring more gets analyzed rather critically.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:11:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Miner, and gradually getting into mine services/consulting. For anything customer-facing, I wear jeans and a hi-viz shirt because A) W65 on a belt is required equipment and B) I'm likely to climb a raise, jump on equipment, or do something else that gets me covered in dust/oil/etc.

If it requires anything more than jeans and a flannel or western shirt, I'm staying home. Somebody who values appearance over practicality isn't worth doing business with.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:14:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Save it! All you have to do is eat more and eventually it will come back into style. At least that's what all the guys with three button suits keep telling themselves.
View Quote

Nope, my weight is going down and not up. My wife is very good at encouraging me to stay fit.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:16:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Suits are for con artists, attorneys, and corporate dipshits.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:56:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:07:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Our minds are blown.

Or, maybe the term "city boy" and the references to starched jeans says a lot more about what's going on here than other's assertions of "practicality" and what not.

There's a reason the Mao suit became a thing - an outward expression of proletariat values and stigmatization of those of the supposed bourgeoisie. At least we haven't gone full Pol Pot yet, but it's easy to sense the undercurrent and the raw emotion.
View Quote

Class warfare is alive & well.
See also: ARFCOM Union threads
WORKERS OF THE WORLD UNITE
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:55:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:58:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I love wearing a suit and looking good for my wife.
I loathe sweating my ass off.

Most places and occasions I would WANT to wear a suit I end up sweating my ass off, I'm just wired to be warm, apparently.
Wife thought a tux and a beach wedding were compatible....I think I'm the first groom I've seen that had a towel boy.

I sweat my ass off most days for work, I don't see how pride in my appearance means I must choose to be miserable in my leisure time.

To you guys that can comfortably wear a suit and tie in 80+ F climates, I salute you, not everyone can.

View Quote

A tux does not belong on a beach.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:59:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:01:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:08:38 PM EDT
[#17]
I can wear jeans and a $8 Sam's club t shirt and be happy.

With that said, I do enjoy wearing a custom made and tailored suit and I have a few.  

It's nice to dress well and look elegant.  

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:23:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:27:27 PM EDT
[#19]
I earn a living playing online slot machines. I work in the nude.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:41:10 PM EDT
[#20]
I may have had a suit, but a sports coat and a pair of Dockers was usually good enough. Most of my lectures were in jeans, hoodie, and Beefy-Ts.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:54:12 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm an aircraft mechanic. It would be silly to think I would wear a suit to work, not to mention I am mandated to wear company uniform.  

However, I take pride in my appearance and actually enjoy looking my best when I take my wife out or go to various events. I own a suit and 3 sport coats as well as 5-6 pairs of slacks and 3 pairs of dress shoes. I have a wardrobe that can accommodate just about any occasion.

It's true that people respond better to you when you're well dressed.

My question is how does any adult man not have a suit?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:41:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By KC-130 FLT ENG:
I'm an aircraft mechanic. It would be silly to think I would wear a suit to work, not to mention I am mandated to wear company uniform.  

However, I take pride in my appearance and actually enjoy looking my best when I take my wife out or go to various events. I own a suit and 3 sport coats as well as 5-6 pairs of slacks and 3 pairs of dress shoes. I have a wardrobe that can accommodate just about any occasion.

It's true that people respond better to you when you're well dressed.

My question is how does any adult man not have a suit?
View Quote

I don’t have a suit because I don’t want to be a hypocrite. I don’t trust people who wear suits so I don’t wear one . .  Preachers are some of the worst examples , IMO .   I dislike phony people and for me to wear a suit I would be phony too . Yeah , my thoughts on things seem weird to some people , but makes sense to me.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:58:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Work-from-home IT project manager.

I've worked from home for about a decade.  Have never turned my webcam on, nobody I work with has ever met me in person.  Shorts and t-shirts are 90% of my wardrobe.  Ordained Dudeist priest.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:06:19 AM EDT
[#24]
I have about 6 suits.  When you have them custom made from a an Italian designer they actually fit well and are comfortable to wear all day.

But most of my time in on jeans and a t shirt.  

I am a private equity associate
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:39:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I haven't had a suit since I started buying my own clothes. I wear a shirt with a collar for church and what not. I own a tie but I don't know where it's at. I'm firmly in the t shirt and jeans category daily.

I've always worked blue collar and trades jobs so it's not an issue.
A coworker of mine went back to school later in life. One of the big plusses for him was his new path in life was going to require him to dress up for work.

For my fellow non suit guys. What do you do for a living?
View Quote

I was in sales for 25 years and it was the required uniform. I also wear one when I go before the King of Kings in His house, at my children's weddings, and at my parents and grandparents' funerals. They all deserve to be honored. I'm not going to clean the barn. I hate ties but if you are going to honor someone, do it right. I really don't care what other folk wear.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:40:03 AM EDT
[#26]
LOL.
Bring your fancy suits, buttoned up long sleeve shirts and ties or even your starched blue jeans.
I will love you see you pass out.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:45:23 AM EDT
[#27]
To answer the op’s question I would be classed as a first responder.  I don’t own a dress uniform for that either, it’s archaic and unneeded in my opinion.

Simply put I don’t do formal clothing, polo shirt and a pair of cargo khaki pants is as fancy as I ever get and even then only very rarely.

I don’t even know how to tie a necktie and I have zero intention of ever learning because it’s a skill I’ll never need.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:44:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 3:40:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I love wearing a suit and looking good for my wife.
I loathe sweating my ass off.

Most places and occasions I would WANT to wear a suit I end up sweating my ass off, I'm just wired to be warm, apparently.
Wife thought a tux and a beach wedding were compatible....I think I'm the first groom I've seen that had a towel boy.

I sweat my ass off most days for work, I don't see how pride in my appearance means I must choose to be miserable in my leisure time.

To you guys that can comfortably wear a suit and tie in 80+ F climates, I salute you, not everyone can.

View Quote

Linen suits
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:09:56 PM EDT
[#30]
What's amusing is when you go to a wedding or a funeral or another place that people of proper upbringing know that you should wear a suit. You can tell really, really quickly who doesn't wear or own a suit. They'll have pulled out one that was last worn at cousin Bobbie's wedding in 1997 that hasn't been worn since. White bucks like Clark Griswold.

Seriously, just go rent a suit from Men's Warehouse or something. Or be remembered as "When People of Walmart went to a funeral" by the rest of your family. You're not Bono or Zelenskyy. Wear a suit when it's the thing to do.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:24:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
What's amusing is when you go to a wedding or a funeral or another place that people of proper upbringing know that you should wear a suit. You can tell really, really quickly who doesn't wear or own a suit. They'll have pulled out one that was last worn at cousin Bobbie's wedding in 1997 that hasn't been worn since. White bucks like Clark Griswold.

Seriously, just go rent a suit from Men's Warehouse or something. Or be remembered as "When People of Walmart went to a funeral" by the rest of your family. You're not Bono or Zelenskyy. Wear a suit when it's the thing to do.
View Quote
Two things I never do is attend funerals or weddings.

At one event someone's life is over.

At the other event someone died.

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:49:49 PM EDT
[#32]
I haven't worn a suit since my verbal exams and interview with the California Department of Forestry back in the early 80's.
It didn't do me any good.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:05:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Your profession has nothing To Do with owning a suit.

I probably have 5 sports Coats, 10 pairs of slacks and 30 ties.
On top of that I have two Very nice suits and a tuxedo.

Some men enjoy wearing suits and enjoy looking fucking fantastic and some don't.

I am a truck driver.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:08:01 PM EDT
[#34]
I work in a hospital ER. I don’t own a suit.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:08:39 PM EDT
[#35]
i own a floor covering business.

i wear khaki style pants and either a button up shirt or polo.  I could come to work in jeans and a tshirt if i wanted...

i dont own a suit and dont care if i ever own one.  not my thing
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:05:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Your profession has nothing To Do with owning a suit.

View Quote

Yeah, that's a weird one for me here. But, really speaks to how people see things. Somehow people think this is a "work clothes" thread.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:23:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I made sales calls in shorts and flip flops. My customers KNEW that my firm was hands down the BEST deal in my industry. They KNEW I owned it and that my answers to questions were ALWAYS correct. They were willing to PAY for PERFORMANCE.
View Quote

same here when I was only doing the Veterinary gig.
it was awesome.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:25:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:51:14 AM EDT
[#39]
This article is behind a paywall so ill do a tldr. (Article Circa 2008) https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2008-08-12/the-power-suit-powerless
The power suits are gone and now suits are for the powerless. Most of the people who wear suits are stuck in a service job where they are forced to wear cheap shitty ill fitting suit and they would dump it if they could.

A 2019 article to reinforce that notion (  https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2019/9/30/20869237/suits-control-menswear-decline  )
"Had he? Or was he in a suit because Congress had dictated the terms for him? For one of the few times in his adult life, sweating through a barrage of government questions, Zuckerberg was not in control. And these days, when you are not in control you wear a suit.

“They put Mark Zuckerberg in that suit,” says Deirdre Clemente, a fashion and culture historian and author of Dress Casual: How College Students Redefined American Style, referring to Congress. “I would’ve had a lot more respect if he showed up in a hoodie: ‘This is who I am and what I do.’”"

"Although the suit is historically associated with projecting elegance, authority, and mastery of a profession, those qualities hearken back to the days when suits were prevalent, worn by the Atticus Finches and Don Drapers of the world. How long until we realize the suit — while still used for special occasions and by a shrinking number of traditionalists — has become associated with the opposite? The suit has become a uniform for the powerless"

"The numbers alone suggest suits lack the value and influence they once had."

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:03:04 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:08:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 5:36:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Keep it real, GD.

We're right on schedule.

Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top