Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/27/2024 10:43:21 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:45:21 PM EDT
[#1]
So what is the question?...
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:46:56 PM EDT
[#2]
My FIL has a Silverado that has that silly shut-off feature and his has an AGM battery.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:48:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Definitely not in the form of a question.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:48:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: davewvu86] [#4]
Some manufacturers are indeed using absorbed glass mat or AGM batteries in cars these days. This is a change from the regular lead acid batteries.

And, some cars do have additional batteries to support the ever growing number of computers and electronics. From what I have read, they do this because the electronics really don't like the voltage fluctuations you get from the draw created by starting an engine.

I just wish the auto industry would move over to Lifepo4 lithium.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:49:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Generally cars with stop start have a main battery and an auxiliary battery, usually an aux14-1. Not sure about location in the Highlander specifically, but if it has stop start, it has an aux battery of some kind hiding in there.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:51:43 PM EDT
[#6]
They usually stick the 2nd battery under a seat or hidden panel in a totally retarded and hard to access spot.  It's a smaller AGM battery.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:51:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Danted] [#7]
I worked for Porsche not Toyota.
Early start stop cars used a pretty normal AGM battery.
No second batteries. The biggest thing was the inline ammeter that measured every amp in and out of the battery. This was useful in knowing the charging needs and keeping the battery at optimum health and never overcharging.  Nothing special with the battery, but it did require you to program the new battery when you replaced it to accurately calculate the capacity.

Newer stuff used lithium iron batteries and had integrated ammeter.  No aftermarket options and 2700.00$
They have since gone back to non integrated batteries.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:52:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KySawgrass:
Generally cars with stop start have a main battery and an auxiliary battery, usually an aux14-1. Not sure about location in the Highlander specifically, but if it has stop start, it has an aux battery of some kind hiding in there.
View Quote

Not necessarily. Mercedes has gone from an aux battery to a capacitor and now I believe only the voltage dip limiter. Probably a small capacitor hiding in there somewhere. That's all out the window with a 12V and 48V system, but it's been that way for years. AGM batteries have been around a very long time and a second (or third) small battery to support specific functions started 20+ years ago.

They've used more "auxiliary" battery designs than I can recall, at least 5 or 6?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:55:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a Grand Cherokee with the stupid auto on/off “feature.” All I had to do was remove a wire or two from the battery to disable it. Boom! Now it runs like a vehicle should. It turns on when I turn it on and turns off when I turn it off.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:58:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Here you go OP.

How Does Start Stop Technology Work in Modern Cars? Everything You Need to Know

you're welcome.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:59:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Have not noticed this on my Model 3
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:02:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a highlander as well.
Vehicle is 5 years old. We are on battery #4.

Most recently, on my wife's way to work the engine turned  while at a stop light right before she got into the parking lot and wouldn't start again. Fortunately, she had some coworkers who came out and helped push her vehicle into the parking lot. I connected a jump starter, and it started fine.  Dealer said the alternator is fine, but that was the end of battery #3.

We use the AGM class of batteries, which are the ones that Toyota recommends.  They're supposed to be capable of running all of the electronic shit the Highlanders have...and I guess they can for a short while.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:09:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:16:14 PM EDT
[#14]
You should have a button on the dash that disables it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:18:11 PM EDT
[#15]
They were probably talking about an EFB battery. Some newer cars are using those. I'm not sure about Highlanders. Or at minimum an AGM.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:18:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: panthermark] [#16]
I just changed the battery in my wife's 2018 right before winter started.  She has that annoying start/stop feature as well.

While are are two batteries in the vehicle, the 2nd battery isn't really related to the start/stop process.  Don't worry about that one.

Toyota uses a special "extended service" Enhanced Flood battery, which of course costs an arm and a leg.   After tons and tons of research, the consensus on the interweb forums was to use an AGM instead of an overpriced special Toyota battery.

I got mine from Costo, they do sell AGM's that fit, but may not have them in stock.  They will order one for free (but not over the phone).  They said it can take up to three weeks to come in.  Guy took my number (but not my name) and that was it.   I ended up calling about 3 1/2 weeks later, and someone was like "oh yeah, that particular battery just came in".   I went and picked it up and put it in the wife's car.

NOW, for changing the battery yourself, you need a way to keep constant power to the car.  Some say it isn't fully necessary, some say it is.   There are several ways to do it (battery tender, 2nd battery, etc).  I just ordered something cheap from Amazon that ran power from my vehicle (where the cig lighter was) to the OBD port in the Highlander.  It keeps all your settings and stuff as well.

I can take a pic of the battery and part I used if you need it.

Edit - Ah yes, EFB, not extended service.   I knew it started with an "E", but could not remember the exact name.   Regardless, went with an AGM.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:45:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Your 2019 highlander has one battery.  It is special, it is an Enhanced Flooded Battery (EFB). They ARE more expensive than the interstate you replaced it with.  No, they are not the same.  You will see a warning on your instrument cluster more often that the start stop feature is not available because of other battery installed.  The charging protocol in the car is set up for an EFB battery, and they say it can shorten the lifespan of a regular or AGM battery.  

The good news is your highlander has a setting that allows for the use of a regular battery or AGM battery in lieu of the EFB.  The dealership can do it, but may feign ignorance because they want to sell the expensive battery.  The best way to change this setting is to find a friend that has Techstream installed on a laptop, and change it yourself.  I believe it is also possible to purchase a 2 day license for techstream to do it yourself on your own laptop.  There are also tons of pirated versions of techstream on Ebay and Amazon, but of course it would be wrong to buy that and use it for the life of your vehicle whenever you wanted without any additional charges.  While your in there, you can change other things like removing the seatbelt chime for individual seats, or changing the number of times your turn signal blinks.

The setting is for "non-specified battery" under the Utility selection menu>switch battery type>unspecified battery.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:38:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Do some research and find out how the stop/start works.
On Fords, there is an accumulator that works during the start/stop function, and the starter is not used.
Find out how Toyota does it and you'll see if you are being taken for a ride.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:08:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Aimless
If it didn't have an AGM, it probably had an Enhanced Flooded Battery, which is a heavier duty version of your traditional automotive battery. Most places only carry traditional flooded batteries or AGM which probably contributed to the answers you got.

On the auto stop start function of suggest one of theses:
https://www.autostopeliminator.com/

Installed a few for family now and they are seamless plug and play kits that just work and look like a factory component.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:27:14 AM EDT
[#20]
You were being conned.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:32:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: P400] [#21]
When someone at a dealership tells you the auxillary battery is special and more expensive, tell them to go F themselves and walk away.

I can only imagine the amount of money a dealership's idea of "expensive" adds up to.

Eta: AGM batteries cost a bit more, but they are pretty common now.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:33:36 AM EDT
[#22]
EV thread!
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:38:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Aimless:
My wife's Highlander has the feature where it shuts off when stopped, like at a red light, and starts again when you step on the gas.

The battery needed to be replaced and the Toyota dealership said it needed a special, more expensive, battery. I went to O'Reilly's (auto parts chain store). They told me also it needed a special battery and they didn't have one.

I went to a local battery shop and they put a new battery in. I had told them about what I was told about needing a special battery to one guy. A different man put the battery in. When I mentioned the special battery thing he said he hadn't heard that but the interstate battery he put in was the same thing as the stock Toyota battery he took out. He also said there's a second, smaller battery on the stop start cars. He didn't see it and said it could be in the back or something and was like a motorcycle battery.

The battery that was removed was definitely too old, he checked and it has been slow starting on cold days. I guess I will check the part number on the interstate battery tomorrow
View Quote

You want an AGM battery
It’s meant to deal with the on-off cycle, as is the starter.

I turn that off in my truck most times, though it does seem to provide a bit better mileage. I just find it irritating.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:49:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Genuine Toyota EFB is $250-$300 online.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:52:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Matthew_Q] [#25]
It's probably an AGM (or the other type mentioned above) battery, and should be monitored by the charging system. It is not a regular old flooded battery, and using one probably won't work well and won't last as long because the charging system isn't set up for it.

My 2020 Ridgeline had the auto start/stop and it would not stop the engine if it was too cold, or if the battery state of charge was too low. Basically it will or should protect the battery from being damaged by forcing it to start the engine when it is not in good shape.

That said, the battery will not last forever, just like any other car battery.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:56:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By CreativeBall:
I have a highlander as well.
Vehicle is 5 years old. We are on battery #4.

Most recently, on my wife's way to work the engine turned  while at a stop light right before she got into the parking lot and wouldn't start again. Fortunately, she had some coworkers who came out and helped push her vehicle into the parking lot. I connected a jump starter, and it started fine.  Dealer said the alternator is fine, but that was the end of battery #3.

We use the AGM class of batteries, which are the ones that Toyota recommends.  They're supposed to be capable of running all of the electronic shit the Highlanders have...and I guess they can for a short while.
View Quote

That is unacceptable...
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:57:02 AM EDT
[#27]
I kept reading for a question and never found one. I am sure the battery salesmen did well.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:03:11 AM EDT
[#28]
After battery #2 inside of 3 years I disabled that start/stop on the wife's Cadillac. BS
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:04:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Alacrity] [#29]
@Aimless

'17-'19 Highlander- yea had a special stop start battery. Upgraded (deep cycle?), special part number. I'll see if there's anything I can post that runs it down. ETA - EFB battery

Attachment Attached File

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10153248-9999.pdf

Actually needed? Toyota says so, documents in a Tech Tip that's submitted to NHSTA. More than likely to cover the possibility of the battery dying, no restart and some liability event proceeding. I'm sure you understand the motivation.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:11:24 AM EDT
[#30]
What does the owners manual say?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:13:57 AM EDT
[#31]
I think if you put a battery in that can't manage the stop/start duty cycle your car will just limit stop/start.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:17:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By RIP-Yataski:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:17:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:17:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By davewvu86:
Some manufacturers are indeed using absorbed glass mat or AGM batteries in cars these days. This is a change from the regular lead acid batteries.

And, some cars do have additional batteries to support the ever growing number of computers and electronics. From what I have read, they do this because the electronics really don't like the voltage fluctuations you get from the draw created by starting an engine.

I just wish the auto industry would move over to Lifepo4 lithium.
View Quote

LTO would be better than LiFePO4
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:21:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Auto Stop Start

ASS

Exactly what the feature is
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:21:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JAR0023] [#36]
AGM battery as already mentioned.  Buying Interstate brand probably got you one not made in China.

ETA proven wrong above.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:34:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Shootindave] [#37]
Originally Posted By Alacrity:
@Aimless

'17-'19 Highlander- yea had a special stop start battery. Upgraded (deep cycle?), special part number. I'll see if there's anything I can post that runs it down. ETA - EFB battery

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14291/IMG_1416_jpeg-3171615.JPG

Actually needed? Toyota says so, documents in a Tech Tip that's submitted to NHSTA. More than likely to cover the possibility of the battery dying, no restart and some liability event proceeding. I'm sure you understand the motivation.

View Quote

Deep discharges will kill “normal” batteries quick. I am sure you could measure your amp draw at “idle” with the engine having turned it’s self off with electronics going. The alternator provides a lot of current to keep things going and providing that current without voltage drops is going to be the problem with little batteries.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:41:59 AM EDT
[#38]
I disabled that junk with FORscan.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:42:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Alacrity] [#39]
Originally Posted By Shootindave:

Deep discharges will kill "normal" batteries quick.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Shootindave:
Originally Posted By Alacrity:
@Aimless

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14291/IMG_1416_jpeg-3171615.JPG

Deep discharges will kill "normal" batteries quick.

I didn't mean suggest a regular flooded, just not the Toyota Genuine part number originally installed and noted in the Tech Tip. The vid above noted the issues, mostly voltage, monitoring of the system.

https://www.yuasa.co.uk/info/technical/agm-efb-explained/

As many others have pointed out an AGM is likely an improvement, if all the parameters are equal or better.

When peeps I know have consistent short storage battery flats, I ask if they store the keys in the car or nearby. Often causes issues when there are RF key fobs that communicate.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:44:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Its a shit system overall. I thought if you just remove that second battery the cars default to not using the start/stop function. Worked on a 2023 Jeep
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:12:07 AM EDT
[#41]
The jeep gladiator forum has a nice write up on how their system works I would assume others are similar. Lots of those guys eliminate the small battery and run off the main. The small one is just a fall back to power everything but the starter to keep the power steady when the engine shuts off during an ESS event. I can't imagine it's anything special.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:17:11 AM EDT
[#42]
I have two batteries. One is regular and the other is for the AUTOSHUTOFF.

I am going to go to YouTube and learn how I can disable the AUTOSHUTOFF.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:25:26 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By highstepper:
My FIL has a Silverado that has that silly shut-off feature and his has an AGM battery.
View Quote
Our work truck is a 2022 Silverado with the same stupid shut off, I hate it.  It shuts off, even at a rolling stop, then restarts soon as you hit the gas again.

Seems like that would wear out the starter/solenoid quicker than a standard vehicle.

I would not mod it, while under warranty, but I wonder if that could be disabled?

In addition to that, It really sucks when we're out at a remote site and sitting in the truck or leaning on the hood with our laptop and the truck's built in inverter is powering a POE that powers a Subscriber Unit, AP or Back Haul on a tower and the truck decides it want to shut itself off to save a teaspoon of gas...  

That auto shutdown is the worst thing about that truck for us, CAN'T Stand it...  
Pretty much everything else I really like.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:27:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 797hp] [#44]
In my wife’s Mercedes it’s in the trunk next to the spare tire
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:28:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By RIP-Yataski:
View Quote
My guess is, Does the truck in fact need a special battery (costing more) or does it only need a standard L.A. or A.G.M. battery?

My thoughts is standard, unless someone can tell me what a newer, fancier one does do that a standard can not.
Snake Oil?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:33:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: apexcrusade] [#46]
None of this complicated nonsense would be necessary, including the added cost to us, without leftist government intervention in the free market.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:43:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By CreativeBall:
View Quote
In my 2005 Trail Blazer, I have a fairly decent Audio system.
All 0/1 wire from the Front Battery, back to the rear batt, then to the 2000x1Watt amp and the 4x125 Amp.

I use two XS Power  AGM batts powered by a Mechman  370 Amp Alt to keep them both charged.
My Amps never over heat or Clip and my Dash or Headlights never dim or blink.

I usually get 5-8 years out of a pair of those batteries unless I let the truck sit for 4 or 5 months without starting it and toping the batts off...  I'm acutally replacing them now and adding a battery Isolater/Solenoid between front and rear batts to prevent them from draining each other...  
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:52:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Agm batteries are gay and always break before regular flooded batteries

Of course that was 10 years ago when I worked at autozone
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:56:59 AM EDT
[#49]
If the car calls for an AGM, use it unless you've permanently disabled the ASS.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:08:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Some manufacturers moved over to AGM battery tech for the auto stop-start (ASS) feature

Some others got more complicated with a 2nd battery (Ram eTorque)

Some just said fuck it, you’re getting a regular battery (Jeep)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top