Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2023 10:03:17 AM EDT
Progress is being made in TX on a school choice bill. Looks like other states are implementing as well. I'm still trying to learn more about them,  but I was wondering,  would funds available for private school tuition affect the quality of private schools in any way... such as allowing more riff raff in?
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 10:24:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe there are private schools that oppose these bills because it allows Section 8 to be eligible to attend the private schools. At that point it wouldn't make private schools any better than public schools. I may be wrong though.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 12:39:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah that's what I'm concerned about. Our almost 3 year old just got accepted into a nice Christian PK-12 private school. Our almost 7 year old will still be homeschooled, but if things go well, we might stop homeschooling in 2024. We'll see I guess.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 2:20:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CavVet] [#3]
As a conservative I historically supported voucher bills, why should the gov keep my cash if I don't send my kids to their indoctrination centers?

Before moving, in Seattle, we sent the oldest to Catholic school for 8 years, sent the youngest for 5 years. All cash from our pocket.

We aren't Catholic, but I've never got twisted up over theology. There were zero problems in that school. Both my wife and I served one 3 year term on the school commission. Highest levels of academics, virtually zero discipline issues, one expulsion in the 8 years we were there-that student was an incoming transfer into 7th grade. To say we got our money's worth is an understatement. Massive value for our money, awesome community. We miss them and they miss us.

Move to Ohio. They have vouchers. What could go wrong? I can count 8 expulsions and I'm only privy to some. 3 were directly off the sports teams I supported. IDK what the voucher ratio is, but this is a hot mess.

The magic of private school is the parental involvement. You immerse yourself into that community to ensure you receive your money's worth. Guess what-to the ghetto, trailer, barrio-it's more free shit. They dont my give one single fuck.

The optimist in me really does hope some of those kids take their drive and get theirs and do things and go places they could have never received from public school.

The realist in me understands that 60-80 percent of these kids mirror their parents and give no fucks, and only serve as a distraction to those raised in traditional non ghetto/trailer/barrio household's and act just like they would in public school. The teachers can't fully teach and fully discipline so they do a combination of both.

Because of the move we decided we were not going to transfer our kids this year, they have made friends, but they literally have learned very little academically. I went straight I at the vice principal early on-they tested her math- "but she's already taking high school math".

It's a fucking train wreck.

Do I see solutions? Yes.

Vouchers are a liberal compromise. It needs to be a partial refund if your kid doesn't go there. Only fiscal responsible folks won't fuck that up, and it will benefit home schoolers. Vouchers are still government tit. And it shouldn't be 100 percent. Partly social contract partly ghetto/trailer/barrio deterrent.

Parents have historically suffered and sacrificed to send their kids to private/parochial schools, that shouldn't change. That suffering/sacrifice creates an immersion bond. You enter the community and contribute, not leech and cause harm.

Another part is schools should be able to voluntarily opt out-we don't take vouchers.

Another part, the schools taking this money need to be mandated to give classes to parents explaining their social contract obligations and the kids explaining their obligations. I think if spelled out in a few weeks of summer pre classes a lot of these now expelled kids would have never come here. They don't even try.

Shit fucking sandwich. And we pay cash for it

ETA-I won't be that guy that moves someplace and tries to change it. Both our kids will be at much better schools next year. We know where they are going and what they are about-a privilege we didn't have this year
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 2:28:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ArGyLe64:
I believe there are private schools that oppose these bills because it allows Section 8 to be eligible to attend the private schools. At that point it wouldn't make private schools any better than public schools. I may be wrong though.
View Quote

The Catholics aren't have broods anymore, they have gas to close schools, thus their support.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top