Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2020 1:39:47 AM EDT
I’m going to make up a shadow box to go along with my Dad’s funeral flag, and my mom dug out his old service uniform jacket so I can get all his rank and ribbons right. He was a CPO that served 22 years. The way I understand the service stripes, it’s one for ever 4 years right? So he ought to have 5? Well, his jacket only has 3. Am I missing something? Or maybe this is an old jacket that wasn’t updated? Sorry if it’s a stupid question, I just want to get the display right. And I was Air Force and we didn’t have to worry about those.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 2:10:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I was in from 79-86 and we had a big mess changing uniforms during that time and many more changes were made since then.  I would guess that uniform coat was an outdated one so the insignia was not updated.  That means the rank insignia and ribbons could all be wrong also.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 2:12:50 AM EDT
[#2]
AND, after 22 years he might have been not a Chief but a Senior Chief or a Master Chief.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 2:21:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Ah, I see. He retired in ‘81.
He definitely was an E7. One of the reasons he chose to retire was he wasn’t getting rank, which wasn’t easy for Mess Management I’m guessing.
But, as a Filipino, he didn’t have much choice about his career field back then.

So, I’m guessing I’m going to have to dig up his DD214s?
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 11:16:13 AM EDT
[#4]
You start off keeping everything on your uniform correct.  Over time, keeping up w/ all that is just a pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 11:26:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You start off keeping everything on your uniform correct.  Over time, keeping up w/ all that is just a pain in the ass.
View Quote

Yup. I don't even add ribbons unless it's a full row at this point in the game.
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 2:20:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Ah, I see. He retired in ‘81.
He definitely was an E7. One of the reasons he chose to retire was he wasn’t getting rank, which wasn’t easy for Mess Management I’m guessing.
But, as a Filipino, he didn’t have much choice about his career field back then.

So, I’m guessing I’m going to have to dig up his DD214s?
View Quote

As of February 1971, Philippine nationals were recruited as Seaman Recruits Vice Stewardsman, thus providing the opportunity for Filipinos to serve within a much broader range of Navy ratings.

In September 1972 the Applicant Qualification Test (AQT) was implemented for pre-enlistment screening of Filipino applicants.

The AQT replaced the Philippine Applicant Test (PAT) which was oriented toward the Steward rating.

Recruits meeting the minimum AQT scores were offered a conditional school guarantee for one of five ratings open to Filipino recruits—Aviation Boatswain’s Mate (AB), Aviation Machinist’s Mate (AD), Boilerman (BT), Machine Repairman (MM), and Steward (SD).

In recruit training, The Basic Test Battery was administered and those maintaining eligibility were then sent to “A” School.

The remaining recruits were assigned to the general ratings, they could strike for any of the 30 ratings open to Filipino recruits.

Again, it should be noted that while any of the 30 ratings are technically open, the actual needs of the unit to which to which they are attached will influence the actual rating that they can pursue, e.g., a person on board a destroyer (DD) would have a difficult time qualifying for the PR (Parachute rigger/Aviation equipment technician) rating.

Since virtually all of the new Filipino accessions will be Foreign Nationals as defined by the Advancement Manual, they are automatically barred from ratings requiring access to classified information.

In the past, Filipinos who were school eligible tended to choose “A” schools or ratings in the administrative and clerical, medical and dental fields.

The Advancement Manual does provide that an applicant for US Citizenship may enter any rating (in addition to those listed in TAB C) for which he is qualified to provided that a Background Investigation is completed satisfactorily and that he actually becomes a naturalized citizen within the prescribed interval.
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 4:42:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Can Filipinos still enlist in the Navy?
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 10:14:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Back in 93 we had a Filipino in my boot camp group
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 10:54:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

IIRC, the program that allowed Filipino citizens to enlist directly into the Navy from the Philippines ended when the US pulled out in the early ‘90s.
They have to legally emigrate to the US first nowadays, I believe.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 9:24:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

My A school in 2009 had 2 SeaBees from Philippines.  Reserves, BN HQ in San Francisco, drill in PI
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top