Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2018 8:40:11 PM EDT
So check this out as this is beyond my knowledge base;

Link

So is it legal to assemble this kit as it is full auto? Obviously it would require a Form 4 but a genuine HK MP5 for this price is ridiculous even with the upper that needs to be finished. I know I am missing something here as this seems too good to be true.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 8:49:48 PM EDT
[#1]
ATF Sting.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 8:52:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Nothing out the norm there, the buy now price is 1300.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 8:52:35 PM EDT
[#3]
In before ATF meme's
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 8:55:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Something funky.

922 r requires ___ number of us parts.

922 r compliance.

922(o) is the Hughes amendment.  You need an HK expert, and a prayer that some range gomer doesnt call the atf while you are there.

Hughes in FOPA

Think about the endless debate on arfcom about using an M-16 bolt carrier in an AR-15.  Imagine this same debate about an obscure in the US rifle about what is "intent".
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 8:58:00 PM EDT
[#5]
You wood need to clip and pin the fire control group
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 8:59:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Unless you have the permits (SOT?) you'd be a felon if you assemble it as a full auto.

If you make a semi you still need US made parts for it to be compliant.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 9:00:59 PM EDT
[#7]
You can assemble it using a clipped and pinned lower and semi auto trigger group.

The problem with that flat is it’s set up for a regular MP5 as it has the pin hole behind the mag well.

You’d need a semi auto receiver flat.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 9:01:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Link

So is it legal to assemble this kit as it is full auto? Obviously it would require a Form 4 but a genuine HK MP5 for this price is ridiculous even with the upper that needs to be finished. I know I am missing something here as this seems too good to be true.
View Quote
Yes it is legal to assemble this kit into a full auto MP5.

There are two options.

1. You will need to hold an FFL 07 (manufacturer of firearms and ammo) with an 02 SOT (manufacturer of NFA firearms not including destructive devices).

You will be looking at about $3,500 in annual fees (FFL, SOT, and ITAR) along with needing a business premises zoned for light manufacturing.

Once full licensed you would manufacture the MP5 and submit an ATF Form 2 to have it added to the NFRTR.

2. You would also need to purchase a transferable Pre-86 HK registered sear or trigger frame (about $30,000 to $35,000) and either use the registered trigger box with the factory full auto parts included in the kit or prep the existing full auto trigger frame for use with a HK conversion sear.

If you are asking can you do this as an unlicensed individual and not buy an existing transferable sear or box, the answer is no.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 9:01:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Link

View Quote
I feel dirty just for having looked at it, I am going to go hide my dogs as well.....wonder who is at my door at this hou
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 9:04:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Perfectly legal depending on which part of Africa or Antarctica you live in.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 9:05:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can assemble it using a clipped and pinned lower and semi auto trigger group.

The problem with that flat is it’s set up for a regular MP5 as it has the pin hole behind the mag well.

You’d need a semi auto receiver flat.
View Quote
The flat is a standard MP5 semi-auto LSC flat.  There is no front push pin hole on that receiver.

I presume what you are looking at behind the magwell area is the mag release hole.

The actual full auto front push pin hole is farther down and right up against the radius area of the sheet metal.

If you were to build it as a semi-auto you would need to acquire either the requiste number of US made parts to be 922 compliant if you are building a rifle....or dispose of the stock and get a buttcap end to build a pistol (which doesnt require 922 compliance parts)
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 9:08:27 PM EDT
[#12]
You’re correct jbntex, sort of confused me looking at it upside down.

Pretty bad considering I have 3 real MP 5s.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 9:10:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Go big or go home:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/736126017
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 9:10:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for all the quick replies. As I expected this is a ‘pepper your angus’ special to the uninformed like myself.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 9:10:58 PM EDT
[#15]
It's fine to buy. You'd have it sent to one of the reputable HK builders and they could roll the flat, clip and pin the trigger group, and install the semi shelf on the receiver. That flat has a semi auto shelf included in the weldment kit.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 9:11:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 9:18:55 PM EDT
[#17]
That's no different than buying a M16A1 parts kit and a 80% lower, both are legal to own.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 11:09:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
That's no different than buying a M16A1 parts kit and a 80% lower, both are legal to own.
View Quote
Except for the 922(r) US made parts requirement if you actually want to build it.  And, confused ATF inspectors if you invite them in to your life to decide what is 'constructive intent'.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 11:13:54 AM EDT
[#19]
I built all of my parts kits as full auto.

Seriously, no you cant.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 11:14:44 AM EDT
[#20]
They are just parts.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 11:16:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
I believe depending on the flat chosen there is also a weldment group that physically prohibits full auto function. Or maybe that’s just on CETMEs.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 11:21:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Unless you have the permits (SOT?) you'd be a felon if you assemble it as a full auto.

If you make a semi you still need US made parts for it to be compliant.
View Quote
Does it bother anyone foreigners know more about gun laws than our politicians do?
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 12:40:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I believe depending on the flat chosen there is also a weldment group that physically prohibits full auto function. Or maybe that’s just on CETMEs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It is on the ptr also I think.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top