Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/25/2023 9:52:49 PM EDT
Do you guys know of a good app to track push ups or a push up challenge? My son (16) is want to get in better shape for the Air Force Academy pt test. He’s 6’1” and about 145lbs.

I on the other hand need to drop 30-40 pounds and I said I would do a challenge or something with him.

Also need to get back to lifting, not proud to say I went to shit with the whole covid thing and have been smashing the OT at work trying to get all caught up.
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 11:26:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Beginner for both of you? Try stronglifts 5x5.  You'll need some equipment.
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 11:51:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By sigpros:
Do you guys know of a good app to track push ups or a push up challenge? My son (16) is want to get in better shape for the Air Force Academy pt test. He's 6'1" and about 145lbs.

I on the other hand need to drop 30-40 pounds and I said I would do a challenge or something with him.

Also need to get back to lifting, not proud to say I went to shit with the whole covid thing and have been smashing the OT at work trying to get all caught up.
View Quote
Log your #s to a Spreadsheet.
Add a row for each date, then a column for each excersise, fill in as they are done.  Track.

Free, savable, printable.

Link Posted: 12/26/2023 5:27:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Do 50 pushups in the morning, 50 at night. 100 a day for 5 or 6 days a week = 500 or 600. No app needed.
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 8:49:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ctfish15:
Beginner for both of you? Try stronglifts 5x5.  You'll need some equipment.
View Quote

How is that going to help him track pushups?

Why not just track them in a notebook OP?

I favor ink and paper for exercise logs, the progress tracked feels more real.
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 9:26:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By sitdwnandhngon:

View Quote

That’s probably what we will do. I was just thinking about an app to help keep him focused but I think a log will be the best way. I might put up a dry erase board so he can do hash marks and see how it goes.
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 9:37:08 PM EDT
[#6]

That’s probably what we will do. I was just thinking about an app to help keep him focused but I think a log will be the best way. I might put up a dry erase board so he can do hash marks and see how it goes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Use a chalk board if you're going to do that, or just a big sheet of paper.

A dry erase board will stain with marker left on it for a long time.
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 11:00:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ctfish15] [#7]

View Quote

It won't.

I suggest something more than just pushups. Maybe pushups, situps, pullups -- high school sports called these "obligations" and wanted us to do 100/100/30.

Or jump straight to 5x5.  You might be surprised how an out of shape adult can compete with a growing teenager, at least in the beginning.
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 9:29:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jarcese] [#8]
Boostcamp app has a couple bodyweight routines.  One is a two week primer for the full routine.  Never tried them, but the free version of the app will track your routines.  You don't need the paid version.

You can look up the routines on Google.  BWF(bodyweight fitness)Reddit Primer and regular Reddit BWF.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top