Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/4/2023 3:57:46 PM EDT
I understand that they are for training...

But Why?  

What's the point?

What are the other colors and/or designations?
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 3:59:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 4:04:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 4:05:01 PM EDT
[#3]
They are Navy compliant from what I read
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 4:05:48 PM EDT
[#4]
The guy who designed them was a Prince fan.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 4:14:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I understand that they are for training...

But Why?  

What's the point?

What are the other colors and/or designations?
View Quote

Training ammo. So idiot feds did not load training ammo in duty mags.

You would think they could just say don’t shoot JHP ammo at the practice range, that’s for carry. But people in large numbers are stupid.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 4:16:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a 1000 ct bag of once fired 5.56 brass that has that purple tinting. Been thinking of processing it into 300blk brass and loading it with Nosler Ballistic Silvertips.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 4:27:01 PM EDT
[#7]
It's just easy to spot. Probably the same reason for the purple paint laws.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 4:37:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The guy who designed them was a Prince fan.
View Quote
Or Donny Osmond fan
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 4:38:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 4:40:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 4:43:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You would think they could just say don't shoot JHP ammo at the practice range, that's for carry. But people in large numbers are stupid.
View Quote
This, the fact that they exist proves that the average federal LEO that carries a gun is too stupid to otherwise tell the difference between duty and training ammo.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 4:46:47 PM EDT
[#12]
I can't swear that this is universal but the training guns we used were
Red - inert
Blue - shot lasers for film reactive targets
White - shot gas cartridges that only cycled the slide. They had plugged barrels but simulated how the real gun operated, including malfunctions. We used these when fighting against role players in red man suits.

I think that's what it was but it's been a long time. Might be the gas guns were green instead of blue. Man, my memory is slipping.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 4:48:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This, the fact that they exist proves that the average federal LEO that carries a gun is too stupid to otherwise tell the difference between duty and training ammo.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You would think they could just say don't shoot JHP ammo at the practice range, that's for carry. But people in large numbers are stupid.

They have to account for the lowest common denominator. Most are great, but some are capable of mind-bending stupid shit. Consider the government's obsession with diversity hires.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 7:44:28 PM EDT
[#15]
I was one of three people that spec'ed out this round for Customs and Border Protection.  The purple color was chosen so as not to conflict with previously established training round colors, and one of the few colors that would 'take' on the case and not rub off.

This round was forced on us by higher-highers whinging about the cost of qualifying with duty ammo, which we had only been doing since 1924.  These would be the stupid people StevenH referred to above.

So glad I'm retired, and never to respond to a Congressional inquiry again.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 5:55:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
as not to conflict with previously established training round colors
View Quote

ARF.  It's reach id mighty and powerful.
Thanks for taking the time to answer!!
'other colors'?...  There are other colors of tinted brass?

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 8:17:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 8:23:31 AM EDT
[#18]
The significance of the purple case and why it is “training only” is that each lot of training ammo is sampled less for pre-distribution QC testing than duty ammo.  Don’t know if that means 1 out of 10,000, or 1 out of 100,000, but duty ammo is tested more - more rounds are pulled out of the lot for QC.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 12:20:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Thanks again!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
as not to conflict with previously established training round colors

Thanks again!

Not that I'm aware of, but I've been out of the game for a while.  There was a post above talking about laser, inert, gas non-projectile, etc.  We wanted yellow, Winchester and Federal said it would take to the casings, but that was already taken by a gas-based video simulation-based training round.

As far as I know, CBP was the first to colorize actual live rounds.  We did save the taxpayers a lot of money, can't deny.  But like any organization, we have our 'special children' that should have never made it through the academy or probation.  Nobody gets hurt if an idjit expends duty ammo on paper, but an agent shooting training FMJ during a gunfight might get my men killed.  Hence the purple color.

And @NOVA1234 is absolutely correct, lot acceptance testing is VERY stringent for CBP ammo, with training ammo being more lenient.  But the purple coloration was only for ammo identification.  The acceptance testing would have been the same regardless of the color of the case.

Link Posted: 5/5/2023 2:13:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Outstanding, and thanks!!
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 2:14:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Top Top