Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2021 7:21:29 PM EDT
I have quite a few LBS's in my area, and I have been looking at a new gravel bike.  I ride quite a bit, and all the guys I ride road with are one by one hitting the gravel scene.  So, I've come to the conclusion that I'm looking for more of a road bike that can be used on single track, trails, an overnight bike pack?  I have access to quite a few bikes, and I can order one and get it in a few weeks.  These are the bikes I've test rode.

Trek Checkpoint SL6
Salsa Warbird
Cannondale Topstone Lefty 3
Giant Revolt Advanced 0
GT Grade Carbon

I liked the Cannondale, but was slow as fuq with 650b's and I'm afraid I'll run out of gear on the road, plus it was on the heavy side.  The Salsa was very cool, but pricy for what it is.  The Trek, Giant, and GT all fit me well, and I like all of them.  However, I can only buy one.  Thoughts?  

Thanks in Advance
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 7:51:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Salsa Fargo

Surly Ogre

Currently ride Surly Disk Long Haul Trucker
Set up with Jones Loop handlebars.
26 x2.2  wheels/tires
Ride fire break roads

Drop bars are great yet most ride on the hood/brake

Link Posted: 5/16/2021 8:00:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I presume they're all spec'd with similar components, that'd be a big criteria for me.  Ride 'em and see what feels/fits best for you.

My gravel rides are on my 1992 Bianchi Axis with SunTour (!) XC Pro gruppo. It'll outlast my engine...

Any of the options are awesome...Enjoy!
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 8:17:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I presume they're all spec'd with similar components, that'd be a big criteria for me.  Ride 'em and see what feels/fits best for you.

My gravel rides are on my 1992 Bianchi Axis with SunTour (!) XC Pro gruppo. It'll outlast my engine...

Any of the options are awesome...Enjoy!
View Quote

I was always happy with 105, until I converted my Domane to Ultegra in 2017, then things got expensive.  So yes, Ultegra/GRX.  
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 8:18:39 PM EDT
[#4]
This is my next bicycle,,Commotion Divide.
With a Rohloff

https://co-motion.com/collections/bikes/products/divide
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 8:31:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Been interested in these gravel bikes. May also pull trigger soon.

always been happy with my giants.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 8:52:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I've seen co-motion online, however, no dealers near me.  A guy I ride with has a Salsa Stormchaser (Fixie) that I rode.  Different, and I'll leave it at that.  I liked the Warbird, just because it was really fun to ride, and different.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 9:29:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have quite a few LBS's in my area, and I have been looking at a new gravel bike.  I ride quite a bit, and all the guys I ride road with are one by one hitting the gravel scene.  So, I've come to the conclusion that I'm looking for more of a road bike that can be used on single track, trails, an overnight bike pack?  I have access to quite a few bikes, and I can order one and get it in a few weeks.  These are the bikes I've test rode.

Trek Checkpoint SL6
Salsa Warbird
Cannondale Topstone Lefty 3
Giant Revolt Advanced 0
GT Grade Carbon

I liked the Cannondale, but was slow as fuq with 650b's and I'm afraid I'll run out of gear on the road, plus it was on the heavy side.  The Salsa was very cool, but pricy for what it is.  The Trek, Giant, and GT all fit me well, and I like all of them.  However, I can only buy one.  Thoughts?  

Thanks in Advance
View Quote

I loooove the Warbird.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 7:21:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
With a Rohloff

View Quote
Be sure and post pics!  Been a fan of Co-Motion for years but the only one I've seen in real life was a tandem mounted on a carrier on the back of an SUV.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 11:38:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
With a Rohloff

View Quote

several of my married friends ride their tandems
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 11:45:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I wasn't sure I'd like Gravel so I didn't go too expensive .

The Cannonade Slates were being discontinued in 2019 so I got a new one for $850. It came with tubed slick tires on a wheel that was tubeless ready so I instantly put on some tubeless knobbies.  The cassette wasn't very climb friendly at 11-28 so I swapped in an 11-34 and had to change the derailleur to an Shimano Rx.

Its not the latest and greatest but I like it...I'm taking it to Emporia, Kansas next week to race 200mi on gravel

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 3:16:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I pick up a Salsa Cutthroat GRX 600 on Saturday.  I love the Warbird but the Cutthroat is a bit more relaxed so I enjoy it better for long days in the saddle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top