Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/18/2021 4:13:59 PM EDT
1 Ham radio doesn't give a crap what you do that's not on ham frequencies much less will track you down on other frequencies.

2 Ham frequencies make up a very small part of radio frequencies even on the ones you can get on your Baofeng. Why everyone that buys a Baofeng thinks they thinks they have to get on ham frequencies I have no idea.

3 Ham is required to police their frequencies and they've seen what happened to CB. No one in ham radio wants to give the government an excuse to take the frequencies and sell them.

4 Your Baofeng probably won't do what 90% of you seem to think they will. In trees or in town you'll be lucky to get a mile to a mile and a half without a repeater.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:15:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Ok Mr FCC man.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:16:23 PM EDT
[#2]
How many people have you reported to the FCC OP?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:17:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Gun owners are required to police other gun owners. They’ve seen what happened to the machine gun, suppressors and bump stocks.

#turnthemin
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:18:59 PM EDT
[#4]
OP speaks the truth.

Face it, y'all have been been suckered by the ChiComs.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:20:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Speak for yourself. I talk to people on the moon with my Baofeng.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:27:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Thats why i bought yaesu.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:29:32 PM EDT
[#7]
:ham users: REEEEEEEEEEEEE

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:30:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Haha, I've been using mine FRS frequencies! Screw the haters.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:33:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I don’t talk on mine. I only key the mic when I’m rubbing one out to Q threads.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:34:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I have one of them Baofeng thingies.

I have never made a contact with it.

I haven't even been able to hit a repeater.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:35:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

That was one of my points. Frs, gmrs, murs, go for it. Pretty much no one cares and no one outside a mile or mile and a half will hear you even if they did care.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:35:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
1 Ham radio doesn't give a crap what you do that's not on ham frequencies much less will track you down on other frequencies.

2 Ham frequencies make up a very small part of radio frequencies even on the ones you can get on your Baofeng. Why everyone that buys a Baofeng thinks they thinks they have to get on ham frequencies I have no idea.

3 Ham is required to police their frequencies and they've seen what happened to CB. No one in ham radio wants to give the government an excuse to take the frequencies and sell them.

4 Your Baofeng probably won't do what 90% of you seem to think they will. In trees or in town you'll be lucky to get a mile to a mile and a half without a repeater.

View Quote
how’s your hemorrhoids?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:38:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Gun owners are required to police other gun owners. They’ve seen what happened to the machine gun, suppressors and bump stocks.

#turnthemin
View Quote

Ham is more like driving than gun ownership.

Imagine a highway where everyone was on their honor. If there is no self policing the highway becomes useless to everyone.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:40:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I found a secret Nazi base in Antarctica!  Zey haff very goot comms, ya.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:43:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
how’s your hemorrhoids?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

how’s your hemorrhoids?

You would know if you were listening to the local repeater freq!
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:59:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You would know if you were listening to the local repeater freq!
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:02:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:04:29 PM EDT
[#18]
I bought one. I listen to weather and local police and fire etc... and it was all I expected. Now if only I understood how the blasted memory channels work so I don't have to keep typing out the frequencies. I have googled it and still cannot idiot proof it. The cable and chirp and even tuning the squelch was easy but that blasted memory function lol.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:05:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Dad's local ham club owned a repeater.

They were the Farout Amateur Radio Transmitters.

Name of their repeater was obviously F.A.R.T.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:07:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Baofangs are the Lorcins of Ham radios.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:07:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I bought one. I listen to weather and local police and fire etc... and it was all I expected. Now if only I understood how the blasted memory channels work so I don't have to keep typing out the frequencies. I have googled it and still cannot idiot proof it. The cable and chirp and even tuning the squelch was easy but that blasted memory function lol.
View Quote

There is a good YouTube video. It still takes sitting there with the radio in hand and doing it a few times. Fuggin things are too complicated.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:13:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

There is a good YouTube video. It still takes sitting there with the radio in hand and doing it a few times. Fuggin things are too complicated.
View Quote

Got a link or a way to search this?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:13:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep.

Ghetto goblin,  with the will to use it, can kill you just as dead with a Lorcin as an STI Staccato.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:15:11 PM EDT
[#24]
They do exactly what I thought they'd do.  They're easy to program into a GMRS/FRS and MURS unit that can also listen into other local frequencies or transmit on them in an emergency.  That's all I wanted them for and they do it well.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:16:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Search uv5h or whatever that model is. It is the one where the guy is holding it and going over it with another person who is asking questions.

It worked pretty well as a teaching format for me.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:18:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
If you're using a Baofeng, then get the factory programming cable and download the Chirp software. You can program it in the Chirp desktop software then upload to the radio.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:19:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yep.

Ghetto goblin,  with the will to use it, can kill you just as dead with a Lorcin as an STI Staccato.
View Quote
lol - Reminds me of a not funny story from a leo about a 32 lorcin. I have no idea how to find it but you are correct.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:22:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If you're using a Baofeng, then get the factory programming cable and download the Chirp software. You can program it in the Chirp desktop software then upload to the radio.

View Quote
I did that and it works fine but I am literally an idiot and do not know how to pull it back up. It just inputs a number like say I hit memory channel 1, I tried holding it down like a car stereo but that does not work. I am an IT guy and work on computers so now I see how the other side feels lol. btw, I have the UV-5R.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:24:57 PM EDT
[#29]
bullshit
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:29:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

I like it. I might have to take a cue from Hi Point and hydro dip my Baofeng with the hunna dolla bills!
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:29:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I did that and it works fine but I am literally an idiot and do not know how to pull it back up. It just inputs a number like say I hit memory channel 1, I tried holding it down like a car stereo but that does not work. I am an IT guy and work on computers so now I see how the other side feels lol. btw, I have the UV-5R.
View Quote
I've got a BF-F8HP. Mine has up & down arrows to manually scroll thru the stored channels. If I hold the star (*) key for 2 seconds it will scan.

I'm a software engineer and it's definitely a learning curve. I'm sure all the HAMs here are laughing at the blind leading the blind.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:34:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

That was one of my points. Frs, gmrs, murs, go for it. Pretty much no one cares and no one outside a mile or mile and a half will hear you even if they did care.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that why whenever a new Baofeng owner shows up, invariably, a ham will point out that he can't legally do anything but listen with his radio?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:36:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sometimes it's better to type a frequency...
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:43:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I have one of them Baofeng thingies.

I have never made a contact with it.

I haven't even been able to hit a repeater.

View Quote

It takes a PL code to open the repeater, you need to know what it is.  You have to set
your radio with it and an offset of 600 kilohertz.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:53:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

I talk to women from Venus...
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:59:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I talk to worms on Uranus.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:59:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Is that why whenever a new Baofeng owner shows up, invariably, a ham will point out that he can't legally do anything but listen with his radio?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Legally that's true. Practically, no one cares if you stay off ham, public service and business's frequencies.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:09:30 PM EDT
[#39]
The issue is that Baofengs are not "type accepted" for HAM frequencies.

That disallows them for legal use for the HAM frequencies.

Will they work?  Yes. Is the RF frequency output on the Baofengs "clean"? Most likely not so much.

Am I licensed? Yes, I hold an Amateur Extra license (from back in the day when Morse Code was required).

I also hold a GMRS license.

I own two Baofengs.

Think Colt Python as a "type accepted".

vs

German Röhm Gesellschaft revolvers.

They both work, but the Python is build to precision specifications.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:11:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's not an issue for me.  *shrug*
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:12:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

That disallows them for legal use for the HAM frequencies.

Will they work?  Yes. Is the RF frequency output on the Baofengs "clean"? Most likely not so much.

Am I licensed? Yes, I hold an Amateur Extra license (from back in the day when Morse Code was required).

I also hold a GMRS license.

I own two Baofengs.

Think Colt Python as a "type accepted".

vs

German Röhm Gesellschaft revolvers.

They both work, but the Python is build to precision specifications.
View Quote

Hams don't have to use type accepted radios. Hams are the only ones that can legally use Baofengs.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:14:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

#turnthemin
View Quote

Well we’re failing miserably than, you can’t get on social media and not see modern sporting pistols being flaunted, or go somewhere in the woods target shooting and seeing garbage left lying around.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:14:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Have we set the frequencies and CTCSS to the regional LEO repeater yet?  
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:16:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

This, i bought an antenna and have nightly conversations with my new alien homies from alpha centauri.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:17:10 PM EDT
[#45]
I made the mistake of trusting people who said "Buy a Baofeng!" for comms.

I was... disappointed.

That said, my Baofeng is able, in the mountains of VA, to reach to a local radio guy on the FRS channels.  Linear distance, I think it's something like 3 miles.  So he is able to talk to Europe on his gear, and I can talk to him.  Not bad for a $30 investment.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:18:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
They do exactly what I thought they'd do.  They're easy to program into a GMRS/FRS and MURS unit that can also listen into other local frequencies or transmit on them in an emergency.  That's all I wanted them for and they do it well.

View Quote

And I got them at something like $25 a piece.
I don't get what I'm supposed to be ashamed/disappointed about.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:21:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:29:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

It takes a PL code to open the repeater, you need to know what it is.  You have to set
your radio with it and an offset of 600 kilohertz.  
View Quote

No shit?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:31:31 PM EDT
[#49]
I don't have two of those soon to be banned radios.

Because I am not a domestic terrorist.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:35:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Truth is, hams have enough problems with licensed assholes without importing more illiterate (in the radio sense) ones.
Although, I have to admit that a lot of the unlicensed ones have better "radio etiquette" and are more trustworthy ...)

If you want an example, take FT8, which is a digital mode originally designed for really low-signal work - such as receiving signals bounced off the moon, off meteor trails etc.
It was then used to communicate on paths that just don't work currently because of the poor conditions (lack of sunspots) - with a low power transmitter, and good antenna it is possible to use if under almost all conditions for trans-continental and inter-continental contact.

It doesn't do much. You can't exchange messages, it is pre-configured to exchange call sign and received signal strength. That is the minimum required to validate a "contact" in the ham world.

I tried it out with a 5W radio, and from Oregon worked the East coast, Canada, Alaska, Asiatic Russia, Japan, Korea, Australia, Brazil, Cuba, West Indies.

That was before it became "popular". Now you have assholes using this low power mode running 1kW or more. Yes, they get all the traffic, because no-one can hear anything else.

This is just one example.

Assholes are everywhere. Doesn't matter if they use a $50 Chinese radio or a $20K state of the art ham setup.

If you call on ham frequencies, know how to use your radio, know the procedures to not clobber anyone else, even if you didn't have a real callsign I would talk to you ... but unfortunately, the FCC would yank my license for doing so.

If I were ruler of the world, I would change how ham licensing works. 90% of hams buy commercial black boxes and just use them. Out of the box they are really not much better than a type accepted FRS etc. radio - won't transmit outside the ham bands, all preset. If it breaks they send it back for repair.

I can see a black-box operator license. For those guys. All it would entail is learning the regulations and operating procedures. Very little tech - probably about the level of the current tech license.

For those that wanted to build their own kit, use amplifiers, repair their own kit etc, then something like the current Extra license would qualify them.

I don't think the US could arbitrarily do that, it would take international agreement, so probably not going to happen in my lifetime. But it shoukd.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top