Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:08:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm flush with tanks.  How is the LP supply?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:08:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

came here to post similar

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Bobby Listens to Hank Williams
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:10:09 PM EDT
[#3]

Propane Tank Neck Beards!!!!    

Man busted for storing 900 propane tanks in Brooklyn warehouse

Mohamed Mohamed, 58, who runs the Gowanus warehouse, was arrested after fire inspectors uncovered the combustible stockpile of 20-pound propane tanks on Friday, the FDNY said on Twitter.

“If not for the due diligence of our fire inspectors, there’s a great danger,” FDNY spokesman James Long said Sunday. “It could let loose and explode in a manner that could be deadly.”
View Quote

Why, you ask?
Mohamed, of Bayonne, NJ, admitted that he was ordering the tanks in bulk so he could sell them to someone else, who in turn was peddling the propane to Big Apple restaurants so they could heat their outdoor serving areas during indoor-dining prohibitions due to the coronavirus pandemic, officials said.

View Quote

Actually makes sense.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:10:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Ok, but why?
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:12:04 PM EDT
[#5]
My local little old school hardware store has been out of 20 and 30 pounders since Thanksgiving.

Their supplier can't give them an ETA on resupply.

Kind of regretting giving my son all of my tanks, since he doesn't use  them now.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:15:04 PM EDT
[#6]
That will move them up on the thief's list.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:21:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Northern NH, 100 pounders aplenty, but on expensive side at $158.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:22:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Why, you ask?

Actually makes sense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Mohamed Mohamed, 58, who runs the Gowanus warehouse, was arrested after fire inspectors uncovered the combustible stockpile of 20-pound propane tanks on Friday, the FDNY said on Twitter.

“If not for the due diligence of our fire inspectors, there’s a great danger,” FDNY spokesman James Long said Sunday. “It could let loose and explode in a manner that could be deadly.”

Why, you ask?
Mohamed, of Bayonne, NJ, admitted that he was ordering the tanks in bulk so he could sell them to someone else, who in turn was peddling the propane to Big Apple restaurants so they could heat their outdoor serving areas during indoor-dining prohibitions due to the coronavirus pandemic, officials said.

Actually makes sense.

That just sounds like good ol' capitalism to me!
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:33:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:48:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Don't know about tanks but there is no propane stove small cylinders or 20 lb cylinders/swaps/refills in southeast bam bam. I'm not sure about the big companies like empire gas or amerigas and if they're getting enough to keep the home tanks filled, but there ain't shit for sale in the 20lb or less arena.
View Quote

Same area. They had plenty around last week and now it looks like most places have none
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:57:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Company called Manchester Tank, which was producing the majority of the small tanks, closed their Bedford, IN plant where they made them shut their doors over the summer.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 4:11:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Plenty  of 20-30 pounders on the FL panhandle.
View Quote

I'm having hell trying to find the tanks at the dollar generals and other local stores in Washington/Bay counties. My local mom and pop store that carries Blue Rhino hasn't had any tanks delivered to them in a month.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 4:13:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Between my Grill, Smoker and my Camping trailer, I think we have 9-10 tanks. About half of them are full.
I'm in a really rural area, every Wal-mart, Gas station, liquor store and grocery store swap or fill tanks. Plus there at least two places within 10 mins that that filling these and the bigger tanks for houses is their core business.  Then there are a few places with 20 miles of us that supply those places...

Anything could happen, but we're good for now..
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 4:18:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Just curious, what would a 100lb and a 450lb tank be worth? Both empty, both privately owned. I have one of each that serve me no purpose.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 4:24:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Shitloads of 100 gallon tanks at home stores near me.
View Quote

You are confusing 100 pound tanks with 100 gallon tanks.   A 100 pound tank at Lowes holds 23.6 gallons.

8nBAIT

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 4:28:19 PM EDT
[#16]
so did anyone figure out why they are in short supply in some places?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 4:31:13 PM EDT
[#17]
First post "bwaaaahhh"-ed it
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 4:31:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Why are they disappearing? I can't keep up...
View Quote

This, what happened now? lol
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 4:32:01 PM EDT
[#19]
I’m waiting on that skinny guy from South Texas to chime in.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 4:32:18 PM EDT
[#20]
The tank exchange thingy at Menards has never worked.  Been an out of order sign taped to it for going on 4 years..
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 4:32:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Plenty here.
They're running full shifts, sending them out by thr truck loads.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/146014/20210127_141446-1799317.jpg
View Quote
Yeppers!
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 4:54:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Company called Manchester Tank, which was producing the majority of the small tanks, closed their Bedford, IN plant where they made them shut their doors over the summer.
View Quote

A little searching shows that they employed union workers and could no longer compete economically.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:23:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

A little searching shows that they employed union workers and could no longer compete economically.
View Quote

And that would be 1000% correct. Friend of mine worked there. ALL the typical union shit.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:34:39 PM EDT
[#24]
The feed and seed place I work at sells the smaller tanks, up to 100 pounds. Been having a had time getting any in, Monday IIRC we had 3 or 4 20 lbers, and a couple of 40s and that's it. Haven't had any problem getting propane to put in them and we're selling the hell out of it, been needing to get our 1000 gal tank refilled twice a week.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:36:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, that explains why we've been having problems getting tanks, since those are the ones we usually sell.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:44:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Don't worry about some tank shortage, what you need to worry about is the propane shortage that is coming under Uncle Joe and Aunt Commila.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:52:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Asked and answered on page 1. Restaurants in cold weather climates are buying them all up to run their portable heaters for outdoor dining...cuz Covid.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:53:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:56:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

The tank exchanges that most places have are simply not getting the empties returned. People and businesses are hoarding them and the tank manufactuers have been shutting down for various reasons and can't keep up with demand.

I talked with a driver the other day and he said he delivers 300ish per day but only returns with 200ish empties. He said it used to be close to even. It doesn't take long for that deficit to throw everything out of whack. I've been getting mine refilled, there's no shortage of propane, just the tanks.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:00:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Local propane place had plenty. Road fuel propane for my pickup was 99.5 cents a gallon after tax.
View Quote

Nice!  We are up to $1.40 now.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:05:02 PM EDT
[#31]
A couple of things are causing it.

First, patio heating. I sold out of a year supply of patio heaters in October, they typically last through February.

Second, grill sales were up 200% last year, 3/4 of those buyers need a new tank.

Third, heater sales are through the roof this year with electrical selling out first. Propane sold next because it was that was left. #1 tanks have been short a long time.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:06:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Patio furniture is next. High demand and a backlog at the ports as well as container availability.

We can only fit so many patio sets on a container. When they become scarce we put higher margin items in the container.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:11:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I don't live in a trailer park.  Natural gas service was built into my home.

Nice try at being an internet snob Buckey.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Plenty of 80, 250, 500 and 1,000 gallon tanks in the northeast.
20 pounders are for poors.

I don't live in a trailer park.  Natural gas service was built into my home.

Nice try at being an internet snob Buckey.

Lucky you.  

Some people have no access to NG and are dependent on electric or LP for cooking, heating, etc...

Cuomo has been a major douche as far as pipelines go, he's fucking over millions for his ego.

Truly, a petty tyrant.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:15:28 PM EDT
[#34]
m e h
I've 6 x 100ib tanks , I see em at the dump all the time.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:35:29 PM EDT
[#35]
I've got a 500 lb. tank outside my house, no NG in the area, so I'm not too concerned about tanks.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:46:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:49:59 PM EDT
[#37]
I’ve accumulated 6 or 7 tanks just in the past two years from people moving and not taking them with them. The crappy looking ones get exchanged at blue rhino for newer ones and the label gets ripped off.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:52:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Tractor supply closest to me has hundreds of 20 lbs tanks and dozens of 100lbs tanks.  Must be regional.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/manchester-tank-equipments-100-steel-dot-vertical-lp-cylinder-equipped-with-pol-valve?cm_vc=-10005
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:54:39 PM EDT
[#39]
I just take my small tanks for a five dollar fill.

I have a huge tank out back, when I got it I gave the company $1000 and said call me when that $1000 runs out.

That was in 2016, but all it runs are my gas logs.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:55:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Local Menards only had two 30 lb tanks and two 11 lbs in stock.   I bought the two 30 pounders.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:57:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

In cold climates, diners are eating outdoors in little tents (cause you can't get Rona in a tent). Restaurants bought up all the 20 lb tanks to run their portable heaters.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why are they disappearing? I can't keep up...

In cold climates, diners are eating outdoors in little tents (cause you can't get Rona in a tent). Restaurants bought up all the 20 lb tanks to run their portable heaters.

That makes sense.
Patio heaters are in short supply too.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:59:52 PM EDT
[#42]
A couple months ago I paid $14 total for 3 junk tanks at the metal scrap yard. Took and traded each in at walmart for $14 each.  Tanks certified 2020 with 15 lbs of propane for a total of $18 each.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:01:27 AM EDT
[#43]
One of the largest manufacturers of propane tanks in the country is less than 2 miles from my house. I assure you all is well here.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:10:39 AM EDT
[#44]
Steel is going through the roof.

Supply is getting thin.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:12:46 AM EDT
[#45]
I just bought 30 Lb tanks from Costco online.   Great price.  

Looks like they have 100Lb tanks for a really good price right now.  

Costco 100 Lb Tank  - $114.00
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:20:05 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Wife and I have been so close to ordering a 1k gallon tank and having it installed in the ground behind our house.

We only use gas for our fireplace and tankless water heater, but we plan on adding a whole house generator in the future too. Want to be able to live off grid for months rather than days (already have well and septic).

Anyone ever had a large tank installed underground? Our covenant requires large tanks to not be seen from the road and don't want a 1k gallon tank up against my house.
View Quote

Plant corn in front of it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:23:22 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
Based on what I'm able to gather, it's a combination of:
1-A company that was making the tanks closed their doors
2-Many food businesses have setup tents to get around covid rules and these tents need portable propane tanks to fuel the heaters inside the tents

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:29:08 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Plant corn in front of it.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Great idea
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:48:33 AM EDT
[#49]
I just topped off my 1,000 gallon tank for $1.45/gallon.  I think I'll be good for a bit.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 7:12:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Wife and I have been so close to ordering a 1k gallon tank and having it installed in the ground behind our house.

We only use gas for our fireplace and tankless water heater, but we plan on adding a whole house generator in the future too. Want to be able to live off grid for months rather than days (already have well and septic).

Anyone ever had a large tank installed underground? Our covenant requires large tanks to not be seen from the road and don't want a 1k gallon tank up against my house.
View Quote
Any propane tank installation experts here?  I doubt that any propane tank installer would install 1k tank right next to a house.  I thought they had to be 10 ft away or so.  
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top