Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2020 1:45:12 PM EDT
My 15 year old Brigs powered Troy Built has finally given up the ghost, and I'm looking for a replacement now.  After seeing how the Honda GX engines hold up to abuse at work, I'm looking for something powered by a Honda GX.  It looks like my two easiest to access options are a NorthStar unit with a CAT triplex pump at Northern Tool, and a Simpson unit with a AAA Triplex pump.  

What's the hive's opinions?
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 1:46:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Whatever you buy stick with a Honda engine.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 1:48:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Pressure Washers you say?

Link Posted: 8/12/2020 1:50:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Whatever you buy stick with a Honda engine.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 1:53:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Is fixing the old one out of the question?

Engine inop? Pump busted? Soap eductor no longer working?

A couple of months ago mine stopped dispensing soap. Turns out the feed hose was spilt on the end, so the Venturi pump couldn't create a vacuum.

ARFcom saved me from buying a new one
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 1:54:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Walmart is practically giving them away.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 1:54:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Simpson
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 1:57:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Honda powered. Linky (Same motor as my mower)

My works great, used it 2x this year so far and it starts right up, great pressure and auto ramps up throttle when in use.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 1:57:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Direct Tools Outlet; grab a refurb with an obviously replaced head gasket...

...also, gpm (volume) trump's whatever bullshit psi they list.

Speed
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 2:01:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Simpson
View Quote

+1 been using mine a bunch. IDK what the difference  between the GX ang GC motor.

I have this one. Made in USA (Kinda) . $400.00

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Simpson-MegaShot-MSH3125-S-3200-PSI-at-2-5-GPM-HONDA-GC190-Cold-Water-Pressure-Washer-60551/203177499
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 2:09:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Simpson or Generac, but not the cheapie Generacs. Triplex Pump if you plan on using it a lot, otherwise axial pumps work too.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 2:12:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I went with a Simpson, no regerts.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 2:18:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 2:22:12 PM EDT
[#13]
I got rid of my gas powered one and went electric.
Pretty impressed with it.

https://www.greenworkstools.com/shop-by-tool/pressure-washers
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 2:23:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 2:34:50 PM EDT
[#15]

GC is consumer grade motor with aluminum cylinders

GX is commercial grade with cast iron cylinders and low oil shutoff.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 2:35:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I got rid of my gas powered one and went electric.
Pretty impressed with it.

https://www.greenworkstools.com/shop-by-tool/pressure-washers
View Quote

Curious which one?  That link just lists them all.

I was given a chicago electric (hf) one that is rated at 1300psi.  Useless.  I think a jet spray nozzle on my regular garden hose is more powerful.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 2:35:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Rent.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 2:36:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Honda
4 GPM
CAT Pump
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 2:36:44 PM EDT
[#19]
I have an older Excell with the Honda GC 190 engine. Smoked the pump out of it. New pump was around $160 delivered. Absolute piece of cake to install. Just 4 flange bolts and line up the keyway when you bolt the new one on.

If the engine is still good in your old one, I would just put a new pump on it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 2:42:06 PM EDT
[#20]

GX > GC.  Like big time >
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 2:42:10 PM EDT
[#21]

This is what I have too!
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 2:43:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Is fixing the old one out of the question?

Engine inop? Pump busted? Soap eductor no longer working?

A couple of months ago mine stopped dispensing soap. Turns out the feed hose was spilt on the end, so the Venturi pump couldn't create a vacuum.

ARFcom saved me from buying a new one
View Quote

Mine will quit running when it gets hot.  About 5 years ago I spent a little over $100 and did a complete rebuild, during the rebuild, I noted scoring in the cylinder, but opted to not replace the cylinder at that time.  I'd suspect that if I tore it apart again, the scoring will be worse.  On top of that I'm getting tired of fighting the Brigs motor every spring, and sometimes halfway through the summer.  I can certainly attest that the Intek series motor isn't 1/10th the engine that the classic Brigs motors are.  I have replaced my mower with a Honda mower, and convinced my MIL to dump her old Troy Built for a Honda.  She's sold on a Honda too.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 2:45:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Simpson ps3228

Bought this earlier this year. Works great
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 2:46:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Get a Harbor Freight Predator engine (Honda clone) and put it on your pressure washer.

Link Posted: 8/12/2020 2:46:28 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a Generac 2900 psi 2.4 gpm that works fine for blasting the pool deck, fence, and sides of the house. It.does everything I need.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 2:48:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

GX > GC.  Like big time >
View Quote

Fact.
GX = more industrial (kinda)
GC = more consumer grade

Link Posted: 8/12/2020 2:49:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Honda
4 GPM
CAT Pump
View Quote

That's what I'm leaning twoards, but trying to justify the $300 price difference between the CAT and AAA.

ETA, the NorthStar with the CAT also comes with the quick disconnects.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 2:50:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Just bought one after researching them for several weeks. I'll have to get the model. I forgot it lol.

It's a 4000 plus psi model though. I live in a stilt house and needed something that could reach up there.

Dewalt 4 gpm model

But it's been great. Paid right at 900.00 for it I believe.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 2:51:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Just bought one after researching them for several weeks. I'll have to get the model. I forgot it lol.

It's a 4000 plus psi model though. I live in a stilt house and needed something that could reach up there.

But it's been great. Paid right at 900.00 for it I believe.
View Quote

Pics of house?
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 2:52:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Honda powered. Linky (Same motor as my mower)

My works great, used it 2x this year so far and it starts right up, great pressure and auto ramps up throttle when in use.
View Quote

What’s one level below that?
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 2:53:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

This right here. Whatever you paid OP, you overpaid
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 2:58:37 PM EDT
[#32]
I have a DeWalt with a GX200 engine on it.  3400 PSI maybe?  Got it at Fleet Farm for around $600.  works great.  

Get the 3 foot extension for the wand too.  Helps a lot with doing things that are out of reach.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 3:03:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Pics of house?
View Quote

I'd like to. But sorry I do not post outside pictures of my home or anything that can be used to trace where I live online. But trust me it's two stories. I park underneath the house. The roof line is 3 stories.

Link Posted: 8/12/2020 3:07:15 PM EDT
[#34]
I have troybilt which is now craftsman i think,34 or 3600psi honda gx powered, starts on the first pull. Been trouble free other then the OEM hose exploding the 2nd time I used it bought a heavy duty one.

Link Posted: 8/12/2020 3:11:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Honda
4 GPM
CAT Pump
View Quote

This??
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 3:33:15 PM EDT
[#37]
I just bought This one earlier this year, and it rips!

I don't use it commercially or anything like that mind you, I just wanted to 'buy once, cry once'

Honda GX + General Triplex pump = Master race
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 3:41:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I'd like to. But sorry I do not post outside pictures of my home or anything that can be used to trace where I live online. But trust me it's two stories. I park underneath the house. The roof line is 3 stories.

View Quote

Fair enough. I just find those things pretty cool.  A poster not too long ago posted his stilt house.  We don't have those in middle America.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 3:43:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Im a painting contractor and I prefer simpson's with either honda or Kholer motors.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 3:49:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 4:00:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Fair enough. I just find those things pretty cool.  A poster not too long ago posted his stilt house.  We don't have those in middle America.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is Missouri middle America?  Because there are a bunch along rivers here.

Kinda neat seeing houses get cribbed up and raised.

New thing seems to be the concrete tilt-up walls being used.

Link Posted: 8/12/2020 4:04:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I bought a Dewalt with a GX390 and a cat pump.

It is a beast.
View Quote

I have the Dewalt with the gx200.  It blows out some water.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 4:13:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Mi-T-M
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 4:21:36 PM EDT
[#44]
In my research, the engines rarely failed. It's usually the pump. Direct drive pumps are prone to failure due to their operating conditions (thermal cycles and vibration being mounted to the engine and higher operating RPM). Look at any commercial grade pressure washer and you'll see they're all belt drive triplex pumps. If I had to compromise, I'd get a belt driven triplex over a Honda engine.

Something like the Simpson Water Blaster series.
https://www.pressurewashersdirect.com/Simpson-WB60824-Pressure-Washer/p70254.html
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 5:19:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It seems with all the flooding out there. There would be stilt houses built. My finish floor is 20 ft above flood. My property is 6ft. Everything is suppose to be 11ft above flood to be code.

But it would have been wasted space to just build the finish floor to 11ft so I went up to 19ft above flood. Which put finish floor about 13 ft off the ground. Plus I put a 12x24 concrete block room down stairs too.

I plan on enclosing the downstairs one day. It has to be framed in so it can be called knockout walls in case it ever floods. I built this house 23 years ago.

This is an Arial of where I live though. Now back in 1996 from the marina toward bottom of picture. Everything including the road from the left side of that picture was underwater. Everything on the right side of the right stayed above the water.

It apparently is alot higher. But just from the marina towards bottom of picture flooded from river over flowing from up stream run off. From a no name storm. Was not even a hurricane. 1st and only time it ever came up that far.

Now those houses on the left that sit on the ground. Have been 4ft underwater several times. It sucks to be them. 4 people have owned those houses in the last 23 years. You can tell them it floods but they don't listen. They are all from Rhode island or places like that. Live here only in the winter. Nice people though.

Their flood and home owners ins. Is expensiveeeeee. Thousands a year. My flood is 350.00.

Link Posted: 8/12/2020 5:59:31 PM EDT
[#46]
I have a generac and really like.  Great pressure washer for the cost!
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 6:04:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Free at walmart
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 6:39:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
In my research, the engines rarely failed. It's usually the pump. Direct drive pumps are prone to failure due to their operating conditions (thermal cycles and vibration being mounted to the engine and higher operating RPM). Look at any commercial grade pressure washer and you'll see they're all belt drive triplex pumps. If I had to compromise, I'd get a belt driven triplex over a Honda engine.

Something like the Simpson Water Blaster series.
https://www.pressurewashersdirect.com/Simpson-WB60824-Pressure-Washer/p70254.html
View Quote

30 years in the pressure washing business. Belt drive is the way to go. Typically, the pumps turn at half the rpm of a direct drive, 1750 vs 3500 rpm. This promotes pump life by reducing heat while in bypass and you can draw water from a tank without cavitation. With direct drive you should draw from a garden hose.
I have used General pumps exclusively and can state they will last years while being used daily. I understand that others, Cat and AAA, make decent pumps but can't say from experience.
If I were to buy a new pressure washer for home use I would get a belt drive, 4 to 5 gallon per minute at 3000 psi or more. That should do almost anything you need around the house.
To me, the pump is far more important than the engine. General pumps are easy to rebuild and parts are available on Ebay.
If I bought a direct drive unit I would be real careful not to let it run in bypass for more than a minute or so. It could burn the packings in the pump.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 7:25:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Free at walmart
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top