Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2021 2:41:49 PM EDT
All,

I’m looking at power washers.  I’m interested in the 3000+ PSI machines that are the most reliable, simplest to operate and maintain and I want to be able to control the PSI.  The budget is $400-$700.  All educated opinions are welcomed.

Simpsons with Honda vs Kohler engines

Craftsman with Honda engines.

DeWalt with Honda engines

Thanks

Link Posted: 4/11/2021 4:37:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I use a Simpson alh-3225 for my side business. Have almost 50 hours on it so far and no issues other than the gun broke. Plenty of pressure so far haven’t run into anything it couldn’t clean.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 5:20:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a generac it works fine.
I wish I'd gotten one with heat.

Link Posted: 4/11/2021 8:29:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Gpm and proper chems are where it's at, not PSI.  What are you cleaning?
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 5:04:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
All,

I’m looking at power washers.  I’m interested in the 3000+ PSI machines that are the most reliable, simplest to operate and maintain and I want to be able to control the PSI.  The budget is $400-$700.  All educated opinions are welcomed.

Simpsons with Honda vs Kohler engines

Craftsman with Honda engines.

DeWalt with Honda engines

Thanks

if you have a northern tool around you, check out Northstar.

NMG

View Quote
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 12:51:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Not true...if pressure isn't important just use your garden hose.

Psi AND gpm are both equally important.

Yes, it's true that people are tempted to forego gpm in favor of higher pressures which can cause performance problems. Gpm should be increasing along with pressure as you move up to higher level pressure washers.

In order to increase both (or even increase pressure while maintaining gpm) you need more power. More power means bigger engine, bigger unit, heavier, more expensive, etc. The folly many make is comparing 2 units of equal price (and likely equal power), one with higher pressure but lower gpm, one higher gpm and lower pressure. The higher pressure is the spec that draws the buyer in and seals the deal. And in reality, a higher pressure unit has greater potential to blast away tough stuff, but bc of the lower gpm and diffusion of the stream, you must get closer to the object. Closer means narrow cleaning path which means you're going to be at it for a while.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 11:57:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Not true...if pressure isn't important just use your garden hose.

Psi AND gpm are both equally important.

Yes, it's true that people are tempted to forego gpm in favor of higher pressures which can cause performance problems. Gpm should be increasing along with pressure as you move up to higher level pressure washers.

In order to increase both (or even increase pressure while maintaining gpm) you need more power. More power means bigger engine, bigger unit, heavier, more expensive, etc. The folly many make is comparing 2 units of equal price (and likely equal power), one with higher pressure but lower gpm, one higher gpm and lower pressure. The higher pressure is the spec that draws the buyer in and seals the deal. And in reality, a higher pressure unit has greater potential to blast away tough stuff, but bc of the lower gpm and diffusion of the stream, you must get closer to the object. Closer means narrow cleaning path which means you're going to be at it for a while.
View Quote

You completely ignored the part about using proper chemicals, which negates the need for more pressure and getting close to anything.

I'll take a 2500 psi 5.5gpm over a 3000psi 3gpm and under all day every day.

Most commercial machines have much higher gpm rating for a lower pressure level. 8gpm 3500psi. for example, even 8gpm at 2500.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 10:00:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You completely ignored the part about using proper chemicals, which negates the need for more pressure and getting close to anything.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You do realize that chemicals don't always solve the problem right? Furthermore, by your logic proper chemicals and a garden hose will work because, as you've said, pressure doesn't matter. A garden hose can flow 10 or more gpm on the right faucet.

Quoted:
I'll take a 2500 psi 5.5gpm over a 3000psi 3gpm and under all day every day.

Most commercial machines have much higher gpm rating for a lower pressure level. 8gpm 3500psi. for example, even 8gpm at 2500.

Wait, hold up, you accuse me of ignoring what you wrote (I didn't) and yet it seems you've ignored everything I wrote. Lol, read what I wrote again, this time without the ego. You aren't even comprehending what I wrote bc your ego wouldn't let you take it in.

Link Posted: 4/27/2021 10:52:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You do realize that chemicals don't always solve the problem right? Furthermore, by your logic proper chemicals and a garden hose will work because, as you've said, pressure doesn't matter. A garden hose can flow 10 or more gpm on the right faucet.

Wait, hold up, you accuse me of ignoring what you wrote (I didn't) and yet it seems you've ignored everything I wrote. Lol, read what I wrote again, this time without the ego. You aren't even comprehending what I wrote bc your ego wouldn't let you take it in.

View Quote
if you have a garden hose flowing 10gpm, you absolutely can run circles around a 2.5gpm 3000psi lowes machine with proper chemicals.

And no, you don't necessarily need to have a bigger engine and more power.  You can swap a bigger pump on a smaller engine to increase gpm and decrease PSI. Maybe  you should check your ego if you don't know anything about proper house and surface cleaning.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 11:53:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Anyway.....

Go with a good pump.  The engine isn't THAT important.  Unless you are trying to remove paint, any decent brand pressure washer should do the trick.  Mine is a Ridgid (don't think they make them any more...I got it cheap on a closeout).  It's 3000 PSI and 2.6 GPM.  It has a Cat pump which I highly recommend.  

Link Posted: 4/28/2021 6:10:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
if you have a garden hose flowing 10gpm, you absolutely can run circles around a 2.5gpm 3000psi lowes machine with proper chemicals.

And no, you don't necessarily need to have a bigger engine and more power.  You can swap a bigger pump on a smaller engine to increase gpm and decrease PSI. Maybe  you should check your ego if you don't know anything about proper house and surface cleaning.
View Quote

Your wanton and willful ignorance makes it impossible to carry on anything even close to an intelligent conversation. It's obvious that you have zero knowledge, yet you continue to espouse falsehoods on the matter. Go somewhere else and stop leading people astray.

No, a garden hose will not run circles around a pressure washer simply by choosing the right chemicals. Yes, in some circumstances a garden hose can work, but your proposition that simply adding chemicals makes a garden hose into a miracle cleaner is laughable.

And the fact that you don't understand very basic energy and power needs is very telling. You cannot increase volume & pressure without increasing power. It's BASIC scientific principle.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 6:39:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Your wanton and willful ignorance makes it impossible to carry on anything even close to an intelligent conversation. It's obvious that you have zero knowledge, yet you continue to espouse falsehoods on the matter. Go somewhere else and stop leading people astray.

No, a garden hose will not run circles around a pressure washer simply by choosing the right chemicals. Yes, in some circumstances a garden hose can work, but your proposition that simply adding chemicals makes a garden hose into a miracle cleaner is laughable.

And the fact that you don't understand very basic energy and power needs is very telling. You cannot increase volume & pressure without increasing power. It's BASIC scientific principle.
View Quote

You're arguing with yourself because you don't understand that proper chemicals can clean most every single thing that needs cleaning.   Yet you continue to espouse nonsense you know nothing about . Go somewhere else and stop leading people astray with your nonsense.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 8:47:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You're arguing with yourself because you don't understand that proper chemicals can clean most every single thing that needs cleaning.   Yet you continue to espouse nonsense you know nothing about . Go somewhere else and stop leading people astray with your nonsense.
View Quote

While i agree with chemical treatments for some applications, there is no replacement for high pressure water for driveways or knocking oxidation off house paint prior to re-application. Since you keep touting "Chemicals" why dont you give us some examples that would help the community? seems like your just trying to sound smarter than everyone else without providing any insight.

Link Posted: 4/28/2021 9:12:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

While i agree with chemical treatments for some applications, there is no replacement for high pressure water for driveways or knocking oxidation off house paint prior to re-application. Since you keep touting "Chemicals" why dont you give us some examples that would help the community? seems like your just trying to sound smarter than everyone else without providing any insight.

View Quote

Cleansol BC is a great oxidation remover.  Just using high pressure and a wand leads to zorro patterns and damage to the siding along with incomplete removal.  

Water won't remove grease and oil from a driveway, unless you are basically etching it away, which is just damaging your driveway.  

Gold Assassin is a great all around degreaser that works well even with cold water.

The only place a chemical application isn't called for is cleaning a dock over water.  And that's because of regulations.  A wooden deck or fence needs proper chemical application to clean. There is no surface that can be cleaned better with just water than a proper chemical application.

Many new guys make posts in washing groups saying I sprayed this chemical on this problem and it didn't work.  Turns out they chose the wrong chemical for the job.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 9:13:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

https://www.powerwashstore.com/P/3535/GoldAssassin-5Gallon

https://www.eacochem.com/products/cleansol.html
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 9:16:15 AM EDT
[#15]
For efflorescence on your brick and masonry, use this.

https://www.dougruckerstore.com/products/f9-efflo-gallon-rsf9ef1/

For red clay stains and rust, use this.

https://windowcleaner.com/f9-barc-concrete-rust-removers?gclid=CjwKCAjwj6SEBhAOEiwAvFRuKNtGJYWz6VMUz0MJGSNrg9UdXDXmJBd2TCqnl5VhMODemyjK9TYc9xoCsYQQAvD_BwE
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 10:19:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lol, I feel like I'm talking to a kindergartner. Is this repeat day? You legitimately have no good response so you just repeat what I say? I'm seriously laughing out loud.

What chemical do you suggest for 80 years of accumulated, varnished swarf on an antique machine tool? Hint: mineral spirits, MEK, acetone, and several different industrial degreasers wouldn't soften it. The only thing that would touch it was high pressure. I used a 5500 psi 10 gpm pressure washer because a 2 psi, 10 gpm garden hose wouldn't work.

What chemical helps a garden hose cut through 14 inches of caked-on swamp muck stuck to industrial equipment? Hint: any chemical you have that will help will need to be bought in bulk loads, this is large industrial equipment. A 5500 psi 10 gpm pressure washer cuts it quite well with no chemicals. But if you have a miracle chemical that will make a garden hose cut it better/faster I'm all ears!
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 11:07:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Edited ~ medicmandan
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 1:38:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

So you go from saying my statements regarding household cleaning is wrong, to cleaning industrial equipment with industrial tools as your justification.  Remember I clearly aid a 10gpm water hose compared to a 2.5gpm shitty pressure washer will be better with proper chemicals.  Edited ~ medicmandan
View All Quotes
Quoted:

So you go from saying my statements regarding household cleaning is wrong, to cleaning industrial equipment with industrial tools as your justification.  Remember I clearly aid a 10gpm water hose compared to a 2.5gpm shitty pressure washer will be better with proper chemicals.  Edited ~ medicmandan

You didn't even mention house until your 3rd reply and you were already well above your head in illogical, bruised ego responses. As a matter of fact, in your first post (quoted below) you asked the OP what he was cleaning. It doesn't get anymore clear than that.

Quoted:

Your first mention of "house" was wrapped in with "surfaces". Surface is an ambiguous term, of which could certainly apply to my 2 requests for chemical recommendations.

So recommend me some chems!

BTW, your statement that a 10 gpm hose is better than a 2.5 gpm pressure washer is still incorrect in many cases. But this is getting funny. Your hole is getting deeper and you don't even have a shovel to dig your way out.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 2:26:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 2:39:33 PM EDT
[#20]
On my second gas cold water pressure washer.  Minimum get 2500 psi/3pm or 3000 psi 2.5 gpm.  I got mine from Northern Tool, Honda engine, comet pump.  

NT also has a lot of pressure washer accessories.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 2:55:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You didn't even mention house until your 3rd reply and you were already well above your head in illogical, bruised ego responses. As a matter of fact, in your first post (quoted below) you asked the OP what he was cleaning. It doesn't get anymore clear than that.

Your first mention of "house" was wrapped in with "surfaces". Surface is an ambiguous term, of which could certainly apply to my 2 requests for chemical recommendations.

So recommend me some chems!

BTW, your statement that a 10 gpm hose is better than a 2.5 gpm pressure washer is still incorrect in many cases. But this is getting funny. Your hole is getting deeper and you don't even have a shovel to dig your way out.
View Quote

What the hell do you think the OP is wanting to clean when he said he wants a $300 machine? He's not cleaning industrial equipment.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 3:33:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

What the hell do you think the OP is wanting to clean when he said he wants a $300 machine? He's not cleaning industrial equipment.
View Quote

He hasn't said yet so you're just making assumptions until he does. OP's specific use is somewhat irrelevant to the information in the thread because others read threads and glean valuable information as well. OP wants a pressure washer, if a garden hose with the right chemicals would work why didn't you state that in your first response? And why are you being so dodgy with answering questions? Every question I ask you dodge and just ask an off-topic question back...are you unable to answer simple questions?

Furthermore, your proposition that chemicals and gpm are the only factors to consider is still incorrect and no matter how many times you ramble with incoherent or irrelevant information it will still be incorrect.

And lastly, I really try to bite my tongue when it comes to laying out experience but it seems in this case people may be inclined to believe the things you say (although I think it is pretty clear from your replies that they should take what you say with a grain of salt) so I'm just going to throw it out there. I've been using industrial pressure washers for most of my life. For a period of time my dad sold industrial pressure washers and accessories. He still has leftover bits and pieces he sells as people in need contact him. But there wasn't enough margin in that to justify his time, he has bigger earners...like the aforementioned industrial equipment.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 4:26:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

He hasn't said yet so you're just making assumptions until he does. OP's specific use is somewhat irrelevant to the information in the thread because others read threads and glean valuable information as well. OP wants a pressure washer, if a garden hose with the right chemicals would work why didn't you state that in your first response? And why are you being so dodgy with answering questions? Every question I ask you dodge and just ask an off-topic question back...are you unable to answer simple questions?

Furthermore, your proposition that chemicals and gpm are the only factors to consider is still incorrect and no matter how many times you ramble with incoherent or irrelevant information it will still be incorrect.

And lastly, I really try to bite my tongue when it comes to laying out experience but it seems in this case people may be inclined to believe the things you say (although I think it is pretty clear from your replies that they should take what you say with a grain of salt) so I'm just going to throw it out there. I've been using industrial pressure washers for most of my life. For a period of time my dad sold industrial pressure washers and accessories. He still has leftover bits and pieces he sells as people in need contact him. But there wasn't enough margin in that to justify his time, he has bigger earners...like the aforementioned industrial equipment.
View Quote

Industrial cleaning is far different than homeowner cleaning.   Professional house washing is different than industrial cleaning. Using proper chemicals on a home and surrounding surfaces removes the chance of a someone dicking up their siding and sidewalk or deck with a zero stick because they bought a $300 machine.

Arguing semantics is stupid
"The OP's intended use is  irrelevant".   No it's not.  He's the only one that asked about a $3-400 machine.  No one else did.  I don't know what the OP wanted to clean, so I'll lay out my experience in industrial cleaning for him and every other home owner that wants to wash their siding.  

Will the mods edit out their own supplied emojis?
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 4:43:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Industrial cleaning is far different than homeowner cleaning.  
"The OP's intended use is  irrelevant".  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Industrial cleaning is far different than homeowner cleaning.  
"The OP's intended use is  irrelevant".  

Are you really so desperate to win an ego battle that you have to edit what I say before responding to it? Haha, just when I thought it couldn't get any better.

Quoted:
OP's specific use is somewhat irrelevant to the information in the thread because others read threads and glean valuable information as well.

It's clear you have zero interest in spreading accurate and truthful information. It's also quite clear you have zero interest in helping with OP's question.

Quoted:

Will the mods edit out their own supplied emojis?

Are you trying to commit suicide by mod? Conduct allowed in GD isn't necessarily allowed in tech forums.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 4:54:52 PM EDT
[#25]
I clicked this link because of the topic, thinking I'd likely subscribe.

One full page of Tier 1 Pressure Washer Engineers arguing.

I'm out. Good luck OP.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 5:44:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Are you really so desperate to win an ego battle that you have to edit what I say before responding to it? Haha, just when I thought it couldn't get any better.

It's clear you have zero interest in spreading accurate and truthful information. It's also quite clear you have zero interest in helping with OP's question.

Are you trying to commit suicide by mod? Conduct allowed in GD isn't necessarily allowed in tech forums.
View Quote

It's clear you have zero interest in helping the OP, and just like to swing around your industrial pressure washer to show everyone how big it is.   You stated that fact.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 4:37:41 PM EDT
[#27]
the best pressure washers are free at Walmart. Jesus this thread is fucked.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 10:22:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Buy one with a quality engine like Honda or Kohler. Also the pump should be a little triplex pump
like a Cat pump not the rotary pumps that bolt directly under the engine. You get what you pay for
with pressure washers. Also always run water thru the pump when the engine is running. This is what
cools the pump. Last thing, do not lend it out. Have repaired mine twice due to lazy idiots not keeping
water running thru it and burning up the pump.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 10:38:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Only two things I can offer were told to me by a small engine repair guy almost 20 years ago. Get a good brand pump and allowing
it to idle without spraying water overheats the pump. Told me he didn't worry so much about the brand of the engine.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 9:03:25 PM EDT
[#30]
I only know that I come across a lot of free ones with dicked up pumps. Cat pump or whatever else is known to be good would be a high priority for me in a new one.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 8:32:46 PM EDT
[#31]
I've got this and it kicks ass, use it most weekends.

Make sure to get one of these, thank me later.

This is pretty handy to, use it more than I thought I would.

If you have any interest in washing/detailing your own cars, this is a must.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top