Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2018 6:42:10 PM EDT
My daughter is a bright three year old, and we're looking to move her from a daycare environment to a parent involved preschool.
We went to an open house the other night.  I'm inclined to look for others because of red flags, but I might be looking for a unicorn.

It's located in a church, but no faith education.
Two full time female teachers: one obese (I get, teaching isn't a strenuous job).
They used a bunch of yuppie feelgood language when talking.
Learn through play, absolutely no flashcards or worksheets.
Use Pavlovian training to get the children to do certain tasks with songs (clean up, go out side, etc.).
No playground, but an "outside classroom".
No physical education but they can play in the mud.

The last room we checked out was the Kindergarten room.  Front and center in their bookshelf were books about FBHO, Martin Luther King, and Rosa Parks.  Nothing that I could see about Washington, Lincoln, or Franklin.  I'm in a suburb of Portland, there's hardly any black people here.  I don't want my children guilt tripped, I want them proud of who they are, what they are, and what their ancestors built.

When I went to PreK you learned to read by memorizing the Gospel and Old Testament.  I felt like I needed to shower the estrogen off of me when we got back home.  Is this pretty standard fare?
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 11:27:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spartacus2002] [#1]
Today, yes.  Education is soaked in estrogen from top to bottom.  Principals, education policy wonks, teachers, all of it dominated by women.

But there are sure to be other options; keep looking.
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 10:28:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Check out a Montessori school.
My son who is now 6 has been going to one for the last couple of years and it's been incredible.
The school is completely female staffed, but I  don't see any issues there.
We are now investigating homeschooling as a viable option now that we have some of the basics covered.
The school is a complete melting pot of race and religion which has been great to expose my son to the real world.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 3:15:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kraquine] [#3]
My wife has owned a Pre-School for about 30 years.
Students are 3-5
The fee is $80 a month per child.
The school is M-W-F, 0930 -1100
There is a defined curriculum and by the end of the year they will be able to count money, count to 100 in English and Spanish, know their colors in English and Spanish, write their name, know and write their ABC's, and be able to sit still in a classroom, among other things. Periodically they are taken on field trips to a library, Police Station, Fire Station, Lowes and other places to familiarize them with people, places and how to behave in public.
There is no play time.
Essentially it is a prep-school for kindergarten and 1st grade.
So yes, look around and make sure you're not sending your child to a proxy babysitting service.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 11:57:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top