Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/8/2018 9:11:47 AM EDT
Anyone here ever compete?  How was it and would you do it again?  I competed in a large crossfit competition a few years ago and being there in the environment and competing was awesome.

My lifts are not that impressive by any means but I am working on that all the time.  I was looking last night on USA Powerlifting and there are a few in Michigan that are fairly close to me.  Actually the last one which is a year from now is in my hometown.  That one you have to have a total from a previous competition in the year to register for.  So I guess I would have to do two :)
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 9:34:00 AM EDT
[#1]
My cousins (women) went to nationals this year for bench after quite a number of years off. Even came home with some metal.
They bench around the same weight as I.
Unfortunately I weigh much more than they do.  
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 11:54:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm weak as shit, but I'm near Ann Arbor. I just started lifting again after almost 25 years.

I went to a couple of meets way back then.  They're fun, and people are very supportive.  Prepare for a LONG day.  And don't do anything - especially in regard to eating - that you wouldn't do any other day.  In other words, don't eat the first Wendy'd frosty you've eaten in a year on the way to the meet, unless you want to shit your onesie.

Don't get aggressive with your weights.  Plan on lift 1 being something you *know* you can nail, 2 being something you've done before, and 3 maybe being a small stretch.  Don't get discouraged if you get red lighted.  Butterflies and jitters alone can make you blow a lift.  You are only competing against yourself - even if Ed Coan were there, you're probably not going to break any of his records on your first meet anyway, know what I mean?
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 6:25:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm weak as shit, but I'm near Ann Arbor. I just started lifting again after almost 25 years.

I went to a couple of meets way back then.  They're fun, and people are very supportive.  Prepare for a LONG day.  And don't do anything - especially in regard to eating - that you wouldn't do any other day.  In other words, don't eat the first Wendy'd frosty you've eaten in a year on the way to the meet, unless you want to shit your onesie.

Don't get aggressive with your weights.  Plan on lift 1 being something you *know* you can nail, 2 being something you've done before, and 3 maybe being a small stretch.  Don't get discouraged if you get red lighted.  Butterflies and jitters alone can make you blow a lift.  You are only competing against yourself - even if Ed Coan were there, you're probably not going to break any of his records on your first meet anyway, know what I mean?
View Quote
Very good advice.
Amazing how many new, and even seasonsed competitors, miss commands and pull red lights.
Nerves.

Most events are very friendly and very encouraging.
LOL, before my son was driving carried him to a LOT of 100% RAW and USAPL meets, among others. Even Nationals and  Worlds.

He fell in with a great bunch of folks, from 14 to 60, who push each other and travel to a lof of meets.

Do it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top