Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2018 8:37:08 AM EDT
We been using a buddy's system for our gigs , Behringer B215 mains , now we are looking to get a system of our own . Ive already  got the Behringer Air XR 18 mixer that works well . Any suggestion on a 15 "  500 to 1000 watt speaker . We  play bars  inside / outside parties etc. Vocals , kick drum , (and occaissionally harp amp , guitars and bass will be in the mix).  Been researching them all , JBL , EV, Behringer, Mackie  all with decent hit or miss reviews . Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 9:25:40 AM EDT
[#1]
You can't go wrong with a decent JBL, EV, or QSC. The other cheaper ones, while decent, aren't that great either. One exception being Alto. They still aren't as good as JBL, EV or QSC, but they're alot of bang for the buck.

And I'm not a fan of Mackie. They used to be great in the '90s, but lost their way, imho.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 12:13:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I've heard the QSC K series powered speakers on a number of occasions and they're always delivering impressive sound quality.

I'd head straight for them.   QSC is my preferred pro audio company for power amplifiers and powered speakers.

Try them, you WILL like them and may allow yourself to stretch your budget to get them.

Mackie has become junk.  I would avoid it like the plague.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 12:17:26 PM EDT
[#3]
we have been using the QSC K series in a portable church for over 10 years and they take a beating and keep on kicking butt
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 12:42:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys , Im going to research the QSC
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 1:10:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Do it. They exceed your price range, but consider them anyway.

The only other brand I can comment on right now is JBL. I've been using JBL SRX as monitors and I hate them. I can go into detail if you want.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 1:28:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The only other brand I can comment on right now is JBL. I've been using JBL SRX as monitors and I hate them. I can go into detail if you want.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes they are definately more that I planned to spend , but I am of the "buy once cry once" mind set . They get great reviews , I may need to go to a Guitar Center and see if I can hear a pair . Are you guys using 15s or 12's , I was initially thinking 15's but these 12's are closer to my price range , class d amplification . You think they would suit my needs ?

12" class D 1000 watt

15" option

K12.2
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 3:13:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yes they are definately more that I planned to spend , but I am of the "buy once cry once" mind set . They get great reviews , I may need to go to a Guitar Center and see if I can hear a pair . Are you guys using 15s or 12's , I was initially thinking 15's but these 12's are closer to my price range , class d amplification . You think they would suit my needs ?

12" class D 1000 watt

15" option

K12.2
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

12" class D 1000 watt

15" option

K12.2
The K12.2 would likely suit your needs.

I would also add a sub, but you don't have to. If you'd consider doing it now, however, you could actually go with the 10" variety and save yourself $200 on your two top cabinets (two K10.2s for $699 each plus one sub).

To be honest, I always thought the K10 sounded better than the K12 anyway.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 3:45:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I would also add a sub, but you don't have to. If you'd consider doing it now, however, you could actually go with the 10" variety and save yourself $200 on your two top cabinets (two K10.2s for $699 each plus one sub).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

12" class D 1000 watt

15" option

K12.2

Will the k10 handle vocals , kick drum and a little splash of volume from my harp amp ?
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 4:52:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Will the k10 handle vocals , kick drum and a little splash of volume from my harp amp ?
View Quote
Of course. It will handle anything. Just don't expect much low-end thump from the kick without a sub.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 5:02:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Of course. It will handle anything. Just don't expect much low-end thump from the kick without a sub.
View Quote
Thanks man , you guys have been a big help , I'll update when I pull the trigger
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 5:08:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm curious, what don't you like about the SRX? I have a pair of PRX835Ws and they sound good to my ears. But they're around $1k/each.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 5:16:33 PM EDT
[#12]
The K12s have a very nice tonal balance to them.   I'd say that they easily sound better all by themselves than the vast majority of stereo systems most people own, plus they can play louder and stay clean.    The K15s will of course have more bass to them but I'd prefer the 12s since for extra bass I'd go with a sub anyway.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 5:34:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm curious, what don't you like about the SRX? I have a pair of PRX835Ws and they sound good to my ears. But they're around $1k/each.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It isn't so much the sound quality. That is acceptable (though still not as good as QSC K Series IMO).

It's annoying stuff like the fact that they're heavy and cumbersome. Those plastic knobs/buttons are coming off the backs of ours, which pisses me off to no end. Said knobs/buttons (if they stay on) have a "squishy" feel to them when operated.

We have one (out of seven) that, after a few months, has lost some of its high-end. The horn isn't blown, it's like there's just a general reduction in the highs compared to the others. Don't know yet what's going on.

Just not living up to what I'd expect from something at that price point.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 5:40:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Full disclosure here, the QSC stuff I used was from a few years ago (K10, K12, KW153, KW181).

Haven't used any of the newer ".2" stuff that I can recall.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 10:30:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It isn't so much the sound quality. That is acceptable (though still not as good as QSC K Series IMO).

It's annoying stuff like the fact that they're heavy and cumbersome. Those plastic knobs/buttons are coming off the backs of ours, which pisses me off to no end. Said knobs/buttons (if they stay on) have a "squishy" feel to them when operated.

We have one (out of seven) that, after a few months, has lost some of its high-end. The horn isn't blown, it's like there's just a general reduction in the highs when compared to the others. Don't know yet what's going on.

Just not living up to what I'd expect from something at that price point.
View Quote
Hmm, interesting. I haven't used mine for playing out yet. My drummer is pretty adamant about using his old Peavey 8x10 cabs. So I just have been using them as a glorified home stereo.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 11:23:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Just pulled the trigger on a QSC K12.2 package , will be here thursday in time for Saturdays gig , this place has caused my wallet much pain over the years

Link Posted: 12/15/2018 11:37:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Just pulled the trigger on a QSC K12.2 package , will be here thursday in time for Saturdays gig , this place has caused my wallet much pain over the years

View Quote
If you have been using Behringer speakers (not a Behringer hater, but those PA speakers sound like shit), you are going to be FUCKING THRILLED with the QSCs.

You made the right choice. Feel no remorse.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 6:48:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
I use a power amp under my SWR Electric Blue bass amp.

After going through Mackie and Crown power amps I’m finally at QSC and it just works well all the time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top