Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 3/28/2024 9:53:25 AM EDT
All that matters about the recent maritime disaster in Baltimore is already well known with one exception: the root cause. What could cause an engineering casualty of that magnitude? I'm no marine engineer, but I am an engineer, and curiosity is killing this cat.

MV Dali had one big ass 2-stroke diesel engine and no less than four massive generators.

And go...
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:58:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By aa777888-2:
All that matters about the recent maritime disaster in Baltimore is already well known with one exception: the root cause. What could cause an engineering casualty of that magnitude? I'm no marine engineer, but I am an engineer, and curiosity is killing this cat.

MV Dali had one big ass 2-stroke diesel engine and no less than four massive generators.

And go...
View Quote

Tag
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:01:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Blstr89] [#2]
Dirty fuel.

Ships lose power a lot more often than you think, they just don’t usually take down a bridge when it happens.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:02:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:05:21 AM EDT
[#4]

And go...
View Quote

same thoughts as you..

My hope is that even in the best laid plans things break and shit happens and it was just an accident that now forces some new triple system redundancy....but my bet is on someone bypassed/didn't service/disregarded/overrode/etc the one thing that was designed to prevent this from happening.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:05:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Imagine if the root cause is found to be bad fuel, and the ship took on fuel while in port.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:06:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Blstr89:
Dirty fuel.

Ships lose power a lot more often than you think, they just don't usually take down a bridge when it happens.
View Quote
Anyone that has watched Deadliest Catch more than a few times has seen them lose power, It's seems like it's always the fuel filter clogged up.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:10:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Usually the values on my mower.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:10:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Why is this an engineering failure?

Were the twin towers an engineering failure?

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:11:18 AM EDT
[#9]
It’s the maritime equivalent of a ‘79 Peterbilt breaking a neglected tie rod and slamming into an overpass. An old boat did an old boat thing. The resultant allision exceeded the bridge’s design parameters.

From an engineering or failure analysis perspective this is fascinating stuff. For the rest of us, ehhh, it’s another Tuesday on the high seas.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:11:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: aa777888-2] [#10]
Don't all these large vessels use "fuel polishing" systems? These are more than just filters. They are multiple filters with redundant safeguards against clogs, etc.

It's not an engineering failure per se (although it might be). It's more likely a maintenance and/or operational failure.

It's not an old ship, it was completed in 2015, which is practically brand new in the world of cargo ships.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:11:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Mojo_Jojo:
Imagine if the root cause is found to be bad fuel, and the ship took on fuel while in port.
View Quote

It will be this or poor fuel system maintenance.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:12:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Morlawn66] [#12]
Not to shift this thread but the design of the Bridge Piers is total shit .  The ship's bow impacted the Truss portion above water and took it out, it had NO mass to resist impact and had no protection supplied by Dolphins .

Probably posted this in the wrong thread .
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:12:24 AM EDT
[#13]
The 5G nanobots in the harbor pilots clot shot were hacked taking over his nervous system forcing him to ram into the bridge.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:12:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dolomite] [#14]
LEAN operating budget.

ETA - the netflix fiction series Zero Zero Zero has an awesome segment that deals with operations on a heavily automated foreign crewed shipping vessel - episodes 2 - 3 iirc.  It is worth rewatching.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:13:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: redfish86] [#15]
It was racism, pure and simple.

Trump will be indicted for it any day now.

Edit:

Dammit, this answer is better than mine

Originally Posted By 7empest:
The 5G nanobots in the harbor pilots clot shot were hacked taking over his nervous system forcing him to ram into the bridge.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:13:17 AM EDT
[#16]
If sorry fuel caused this, and bad fuel caused the jet crash in Naples, what in the hell is going on with that sector?!?

They need to get their shit together.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:15:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Lack of proper maintenance.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:17:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Unstoppable force hit an immovable object

that 1977 MD graft built bridge was going to fail in 10 years anyway
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:18:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Curious about the route those ships take getting to the port. I’ve looked at it on Google Earth and it appears that the shipping lane is under that bridge.

But that ship appears too tall to go under it at any point.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:19:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:19:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By KoolOperator:

View Quote

The boat stopped working.  That's the engineering failure OP is referring to.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:19:46 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm a bit disappointed that the conspiracy tards have already moved on from direct energy weapons as the cause for everything.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:20:10 AM EDT
[#23]
And to add to the discussion about fuel, the engine is diesel, but the fuel they run in those ships is called bunker fuel.

Very cheap and very dirty fuel.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:23:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By SuperX925:
Curious about the route those ships take getting to the port. I’ve looked at it on Google Earth and it appears that the shipping lane is under that bridge.

But that ship appears too tall to go under it at any point.
View Quote

I was thinking the same thing
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:27:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ZuoZongtang] [#25]
One abject failure was protocol.  Should have dropped anchor the second power went out.

How come the captain’s name hasn’t been released?  Why isn’t he up in front of congress?
Was any of the crew detained or arrested?  How about maintenance records?

Too many unanswered questions.  I find it striking that from the first second this happened. It was called by all news Media outlets a Bridge collapse. Not a ship hitting a bridge.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:29:15 AM EDT
[#26]
And to add to the discussion about fuel, the engine is diesel, but the fuel they run in those ships is called bunker fuel.

View Quote
They were in harbor, they were running low sulphur diesel.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:30:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Morlawn66:
Not to shift this thread but the design of the Bridge Piers is total shit .  The ship's bow impacted the Truss portion above water and took it out, it had NO mass to resist impact and had no protection supplied by Dolphins .

Probably posted this in the wrong thread .
View Quote
It was opened in 1977, so designed way earlier.  Taking a header from a few hundred thousand tons of container ship likely wasn't considered by the middle aged engineers in the smokey drafting studios playing Sinatra.  

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:34:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LowBeta] [#28]
I'm going with incompetent watch standing,  grossly inadequate training, and failure to maintain minimum physical plant standards.
tldr: it was most likely a decision that lead to the failure.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:34:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Coming from a power plant, I'm shocked that a vessel that size doesn't have battery backup for critical systems, such as steering and navigation. I'm also ignorant to the abilities of a vessel that size, so maybe there is no steering without thrust?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:38:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By webtaz99:

View Quote

Who is responsible for that?

Obviously the company, but more specifically is it the crew? Do they hire port side people to do inspections?

Does anyone in the port authority assess seaworthiness?

What's the role of the captain on maintenance?

Somebody let this ship get underway when it wasn't ready, I'm wondering who all has responsibility for maintenance and who gives it a thumbs up to sail.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:38:02 AM EDT
[#31]

I suppose I’ll be called a pansy for saying this but an “IN” gif of an incident where 6 people died seems kind of fucked up
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:38:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By BillythePoet:
Coming from a power plant, I'm shocked that a vessel that size doesn't have battery backup for critical systems, such as steering and navigation. I'm also ignorant to the abilities of a vessel that size, so maybe there is no steering without thrust?
View Quote

If it has a propeller and a rudder, the rudder works, for better or worse, regardless of whether the propeller is turning.

Contrast that with something like a JetSki where the impeller assembly essentially vectors the thrust to turn. Lose power and it will always go in a straight line, whether you want it to or not. I almost killed someone 20 years ago while learning that fact the hard way.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:41:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By sirbordsalot311:

I suppose I’ll be called a pansy for saying this but an “IN” gif of an incident where 6 people died seems kind of fucked up
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sirbordsalot311:

Agreed.

Really bad idea.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:42:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By webtaz99:

View Quote

I'm going with this.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:44:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: highstepper] [#35]
Prolly bad fuel or poor maintenance…

However…

Could it have been a hack?  
A hostile state actor couldn’t plan a more convenient way to cripple one of our busiest ports IF, it indeed was a hack.

Just a thought…
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:46:16 AM EDT
[#36]

And go...
View Quote
It sure looks to be that a power outage caused the problem. That said when they lost power they lost steering. It was most likely a case of bad timing if they had been at sea or at dock it would have been a short note in the captains log. Why they lost power could be any of a thousand reasons some of which but not all could have had a workaround.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:47:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Most likely dirty fuel.

But mains and generators should have different running tanks.

Poor maintenance and training probably played a big factor.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:48:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By KoolOperator:

View Quote

"Engineering" in the context used here refers to the mechanical systems on a ship, not design "Engineering".
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:48:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Nobody should have a ship of that large a capacity!

Container ships have gotten lots bigger since that bridge was built.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:49:55 AM EDT
[#40]
I think it was all part of Trump's dastardy plan to destroy democracy and take over the world.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:50:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7empest] [#41]
Originally Posted By highstepper:
Prolly bad fuel or poor maintenance…

However…

Could it have been a hack?  
A hostile state actor couldn’t plan a more convenient way to cripple one of our busiest ports via a hack.

Just a thought…
View Quote

Or aliens. Maybe even hyper-intelligent tomatoes.

Just a thought.....
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:51:06 AM EDT
[#42]
In the video you can see all the lights on the vessel go off, come back on, and then go off again just a few seconds before the bridge strike.

Going to guess it ends up being some type of electrical system failure that inhibited the pilot’s ability to control the ship.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:51:19 AM EDT
[#43]
@goatboy can we please get a bridge sub forum?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:51:56 AM EDT
[#44]
Two of my buddies did some type of barge recovery operations out in Cali for a long time.  They said it pretty much happens all the time.  Mostly from fuel or improper fuel changeover.  I mean the loss of power happens all the time, not the bridge hitting part.

They said they keep fuel samples and obviously there is fuel in the ship still, so they should be able to figure it out whether it was incompetence or shitty fuel pretty easily.  I don't know shit myself, just relaying their thoughts.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:52:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By flyhack72:
If sorry fuel caused this, and bad fuel caused the jet crash in Naples, what in the hell is going on with that sector?!?

They need to get their shit together.
View Quote

That jet flew from OH to FL and crashed on approach. Unlikely that it was bad fuel. Posters in that thread showed how the engine shutdowns could have been accidentally engaged.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:52:11 AM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

The Heavy Fuel Oil is intended for use on open ocean.  The ship should have been burning distillate while maneuvering from pier to sea.  Having said that, there’s a process to follow when shifting fuel types underway and deviating from the process can put your lights out.

If a company wanted to save a few dollars, maybe they tried changing from distillate to HFO early?

Distillates are things like MGO, #2 diesel, etc.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:53:49 AM EDT
[#47]
Indian maintenance crew.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:55:05 AM EDT
[#48]
I wonder what the extent of repairs had to be made when it stern hit the dock in Antwerp in 2016. You can bet all of the logs are being peeled thru with extreme scrutiny. Any discrepancies should result in jail time and fines.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:55:19 AM EDT
[#49]
Is everything run off the ship's main engines? Propulsion, lighting, refrigeration of the containers, etc.?

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:56:33 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By 7empest:
View Quote

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top