Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2023 9:38:36 PM EDT
I will be installing a new home server rack with all new components so I need to get the data off of my TrueNAS server. I will be reinstalling TrueNAS once everything back up.

I have a 5TB external HDD and 3.4TB of data to move.

Can I, plug my external HDD into my server, login to TrueNAS, select external drive, then copy data to the external HDD?

I have searched but now I am asking here.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 9:51:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes.

Just copy the data to the single external HDD and copy it back to the new server once RAID is configured.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 8:14:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes.

Just copy the data to the single external HDD and copy it back to the new server once RAID is configured.
View Quote

Thanks.

I plugged my external HDD into a USB port on my TrueNAS server. In TrueNAS, I created a new pool using the external HDD then I setup a replication task.

I thought all was good but

The replication was done in like 5 min, 3.5 TB of data to copy. I plugged the external HDD into my comp to see what was on it but it cannot mount, unknown file type (ZFS).

Link Posted: 5/22/2023 8:57:03 AM EDT
[#3]
You don’t want to do any replication or anything. A simple copy/paste on the data is what you want. You don’t want any RAID info lingering on the new disk.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 10:43:24 AM EDT
[#4]
The disk is formatted for zfs, which is the native filesystem of truenas.  Your computer can't read zfs, so that doesn't indicate any problem.

HOWEVER.

That external drive most certainly does NOT contain a copy of the data from the NAS.

You can't transfer 3.5 TB of data to an external drive in 5 minutes.  The fastest USB 3.2 connection would take around 20 minutes to transfer that much data, and only an NVMe drive could accept data at that speed - SATA SSDs top out at about a third of that speed due to the SATA interface.

Mike
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 11:02:42 AM EDT
[#5]
I have my nas shares mounted on my PC via nfs for access. Wrote a little script that just rsyncs the important bits to an external drive. I run it before updates to the nas or drive swaps.

You should be able to do a simple copy paste from your nas UI to the drive. Don't over think it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 9:35:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys. I gave up and I started to copy everything by folder to my external HDD connected to my comp. It will take days to copy everything.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 9:44:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The disk is formatted for zfs, which is the native filesystem of truenas.  Your computer can't read zfs, so that doesn't indicate any problem.

HOWEVER.

That external drive most certainly does NOT contain a copy of the data from the NAS.

You can't transfer 3.5 TB of data to an external drive in 5 minutes.  The fastest USB 3.2 connection would take around 20 minutes to transfer that much data, and only an NVMe drive could accept data at that speed - SATA SSDs top out at about a third of that speed due to the SATA interface.

Mike
View Quote

The external drive is formatted with ext4 (I use linux). I still do not understand what a snapshot is. Maybe it copies your settings, not your data. I am not sure.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 12:48:58 AM EDT
[#8]
If your reusing the disks that make up your current pool just export em then import em once you have your new server set up.  
That said if you have all new components then migrate the data once you have the new nas set up..

this seems like theres missing info here tbh
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top