Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/26/2024 1:58:26 PM EDT
I watched it in the past and thought it was hilarious. When I realized it was a documentary I didn't think it was so funny anymore.

I've cut the cord so in the mornings I watch the few channels I get and whatever is on Samsung plus TV. There is a portlandia channel and I started watching it.

Now I'm back to laughing about it again. I don't know if it's well known but the bookstore that was featured in one of the skits banned them from being in the store, basically recreating the skit in real life, and went out of business.

Anyway, this is some funny shit.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:33:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I know of Portlandia, but have never seen it.

I've found Fred Armisen to be amusing in other stuff.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:40:25 PM EDT
[#2]
It's a funny show, not for everybody though that's for sure.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:43:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I have only watched a few episodes. The fixed-gear/hipster/cyclist stuff is pretty much spot on.

Aimee Mann as the maid was funny.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:44:08 PM EDT
[#4]
It's funny until you actually spend some time in Portland.  Then it's just triggering
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:44:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By gitarmac:
I watched it in the past and thought it was hilarious. When I realized it was a documentary I didn't think it was so funny anymore.

I've cut the cord so in the mornings I watch the few channels I get and whatever is on Samsung plus TV. There is a portlandia channel and I started watching it.

Now I'm back to laughing about it again. I don't know if it's well known but the bookstore that was featured in one of the skits banned them from being in the store, basically recreating the skit in real life, and went out of business.

Anyway, this is some funny shit.
View Quote

Antifa was holding nighttime meetings at that bookstore during the period that Portlandia was filming.  I"m not sure how you can watch that show, it really is quite stupid.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:45:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Switchback_Arms:
It's funny until you actually spend some time in Portland.  Then it's just triggering
View Quote

Ayup, spent my teenage years in Eugene. Visited Portland many times. It really be like that.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:47:18 PM EDT
[#7]
It's the prequel to Idiocracy
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:51:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: texasjohn] [#8]
Combining finances is the best skit

Portlandia: Sharing Finances Proposal
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:55:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:55:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Hesperus:

Ayup, spent my teenage years in Eugene. Visited Portland many times. It really be like that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Hesperus:

We stayed with a local that lived outside Portland when we attended US Cyclocross Nationals at PIR years ago. Anyway, she wouldn't let us go downtown out of shame for how bad it was. This was early 2000's before it became really bad.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:00:36 PM EDT
[#11]

only been there twice -- but i can understand

Asheville NC is a little like Portland in the weird / worst ways

Dream of the '90s | Portlandia | IFC
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:09:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Ozgur:

Antifa was holding nighttime meetings at that bookstore during the period that Portlandia was filming.  I"m not sure how you can watch that show, it really is quite stupid.
View Quote

I stopped at one point because it seemed too real. But I'm not always done with my coffee when Ironside is over and I don't care for Texas ranger or mcgiver. That's my pre-errand go to for now.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:11:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Danzig was on one episode about Goths going to the beach.............it was fairly amusing
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:13:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Watched a few episodes, never found it funny
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:15:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Ozgur:

View Quote

The show is accurate and stupid. I've only seen a couple episodes and that was enough.

Portland is largely just as retarded as you think it is. Few good folks stuck in that shit hole but the majority belong there.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:16:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By MFP_4073:

only been there twice -- but i can understand

Asheville NC is a little like Portland in the weird / worst ways

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4hShMEk1Ew
View Quote

"Where young people go to retire."

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:18:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By BB:
Watched a few episodes, never found it funny
View Quote

its one of those shows -- you kinda have to be 'in on the joke'.   its not 'bust a gut' hilarious -- more subtle.

i've seen 6 or 8 episodes -- never felt the need to see any more than that.   mainly because liberals - even parodied - make me want to punch someone.  in minecraft.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:24:00 PM EDT
[#18]
I think it’s a really funny and well done show that was making fun of woke BS when you could still get away with that.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:29:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BobP] [#19]
View Quote

When the series was on, I read multiple reviews about how accurate it was. Apparently the motto of a lot of residents it, "Keep Portland Weird".
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:32:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By BobP:

... Apparently the motto of a lot of residents it. "Keep Portland Weird".
View Quote

popular bumper sticker as i recall
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:34:45 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BobP:

... Apparently the motto of a lot of residents it. "Keep Portland Weird".

It even has a wiki page
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keep_Portland_Weird
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:46:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Deerhurst:

The show is accurate and stupid. I've only seen a couple episodes and that was enough.

Portland is largely just as retarded as you think it is. Few good folks stuck in that shit hole but the majority belong there.
View Quote

Oh there really are some winners in Portland.  I was at a free speech rally/prayer meeting in June of 2017 sponsored by Patriot Prayer and we were surrounded by insane people.  On one side was City Hall with hundreds of screaming leftists, on the other side were trade unionists flying communist flags, on another side was Antifa throwing shit filled water balloons, and on the last side was Homeland Security threating the peaceful protesters who were defending against Antifa.  The hate directed at Republican Trump supporters was a little overwhelming and it was obvious to me that something had changed in America.  Now if I go to downtown Portland I am usually packing.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:57:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:04:52 PM EDT
[#24]
I found it hilarious.

I'm shocked it was allowed to be made and the lunatic left didn't kill them.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:06:09 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a friend who lives there, she said its basically the truth of what its like to live there.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:08:59 PM EDT
[#26]
The best part was Kyle MacLachlan as the mayor.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:46:54 PM EDT
[#27]
the dream of the 1890s is alive, in Portland
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top