Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/7/2023 11:36:05 AM EDT

https://www.kptv.com/2023/11/06/portland-metro-law-enforcement-have-new-tool-stop-criminals/?outputType=amp#amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&aoh=16993700577542&csi=0&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com
Attachment Attached File

There’s a new tool available to some police officers around the region. It’s called the BolaWrap and officers are hailing it as an important tool in their effort to de-escalate situations that might otherwise get out of control.

“It’s like being able to put handcuffs on a suspect from a distance,” says Sergeant Brant Thompson with the Columbia County Sheriff’s Office.

The device works by shooting a rope out with small hooks attached to each end. It then wraps around the target’s legs or torso and immobilizes them long enough for an officer to come in and detain them. The creators also designed the device to be loud so that, when fired, it triggers a startled response from the suspect, causing them to look down as officers try to make an arrest.
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 11:38:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Will cause lawsuits, plus people using the wrong “gun” even more now.

“I thought it was the lasso gun, I mean my taser.  Uhh I didn’t mean to shoot him anyway I promise”.
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 11:39:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Wait for the lawsuits when a person falls and gets injured from it.
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 11:39:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Some dipshit rookie afraid to do their job will bolo wrap a dude with a gun and learn a costly lesson.
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 11:39:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 11:40:50 AM EDT
[#5]
This isn't new and the device isn't shaped anything like a pistol, unlike a TASER.
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 11:42:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Some nerd made a prototype of one of Batman's gadgets and that department was dumb enough to buy it. Lol.
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 11:43:35 AM EDT
[#7]
That's going to work right up until the point people start bouncing their heads off of curbs. Hell Madison (AL) PD didn't even need one of those to do that to an older guy a few years back.
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 11:44:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Bring on the net guns.

Link Posted: 11/7/2023 11:45:49 AM EDT
[#9]
I’m betting it will stop those teens in shorts pretty quickly. Might leave a mark though. Ought to be good on naked whacked out druggies too…
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 11:48:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Fixin' to need alot more lawyers.
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 11:48:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep.  6" foot drop is a long fall for a human head, and the injuries from that can go way beyond a scratch- up to even death.  Smacking onto concrete ain't good.  Not to mention the infection issue of doing so right into homeless human shit left on the ground.

If I were a multibillionaire looking at the long play, this is great.  Destroy Portland.  Buy up the abandondond city for piss cheap.  Stop breaking the city and lead the rebound.  PROFIT!

Let's see... who has the resources and is evil enough to do that?....
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 11:49:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Or says it gives them ptsd from the plantation
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 11:49:45 AM EDT
[#13]
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/7/2023 11:51:08 AM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

I was thinking the same thing. It worked in all the old gladiator movies.
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 11:54:14 AM EDT
[#15]
cue the "we can stop so many criminals with this new tool....but we won't" meme
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 11:58:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Loop Lasso - Highlight Reel
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 12:17:05 PM EDT
[#17]
I think they also got a new tool called "honesty" in addition to the bolo
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 12:24:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Ooops it went high... Sorry it choked your xxx out and the hook ripped out an eye too.  Too bad for you I have Sovreign Immunity and can't be sued.... in 3, 2, 1...
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 12:27:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Or says it gives them ptsd from the plantation
View Quote

sad but true
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 12:31:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

If I were a multibillionaire looking at the long play, this is great.  Destroy Portland.  Buy up the abandondond city for piss cheap.  Stop breaking the city and lead the rebound.  PROFIT!

Let's see... who has the resources and is evil enough to do that?....
View Quote

That's happening in San Francisco right now. Commerical property values are plummeting.  Wait a few years when it drops more, buy it up cheap, sit on it and then when SF rebuilds in two decades, profit.  

Fineswine did that with the Haight-Ashbury which was in the toilet due to the hippies/druggies.  They bought it in the late '60s/'70s and held onto it and then profitted when it skyrocketed in value.

As to who would do it, Vanguard and Blackrock of course.  But there are smaller players (mere millionaires/billionaires) who could do it too.
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 12:35:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Ooops it went high... Sorry it choked your xxx out and the hook ripped out an eye too.  Too bad for you I have Sovreign Immunity and can't be sued.... in 3, 2, 1...
View Quote

Police do not have sovereign immunity.

As the story's piece of shit, yeah, it's an old idea that pops up every few years or so and some moron in purchasing will fall for it.
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 12:39:51 PM EDT
[#22]
wait until someone wraps it around a bad guy's neck and kills them....
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 12:47:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Cops should have big ass nets like dog catchers. Just scoop their asses up.
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 12:48:11 PM EDT
[#24]
They aren't new.

They are dumb.
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 12:49:50 PM EDT
[#25]
It's actually kind of cool, but I would stick to more traditional methods. Officers need to train Jiu Jitsu and kickboxing if they really want methods outside of their tools. It seems like most officers don't have enough abilities when shit goes hands on. Deescalation tactics is obviously the first course of action though.

BolaWrap Slow Motion
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 12:56:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Always the technical solution to a human problem (that being an unwillingness to accept much violence when arresting someone)
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 12:57:00 PM EDT
[#27]
We got a demo, and we tested it on each other quite a few times. It works to some extent. The metal hooks hurt when they finish swinging around. Then they tug at what ever they find.

It will slow people down for sure.
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 1:00:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Keep a wide stance and hands elevated.
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 1:06:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Keep a wide stance and hands elevated.
View Quote

Yeah, where's the video of this thing being shot at a dude running towards, away from, or laterally to the person using it?

Other than getting some gnarly looking hooks in their leg or arm, I'm guessing a single loop might not really slow down a bad guy much. And I've never seen an episode of Cops where the bad guy stands still like he's doing a totem pole impersonation
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 1:14:21 PM EDT
[#30]
I could see it being useful in some situations.

Should make for some good videos as people crash to the ground.
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 1:14:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
It's actually kind of cool, but I would stick to more traditional methods. Officers need to train Jiu Jitsu and kickboxing if they really want methods outside of their tools. It seems like most officers don't have enough abilities when shit goes hands on. Deescalation tactics is obviously the first course of action though.

View Quote

Have you seen how fat a lot of these LEOs are? You can't expect them run much less train in any type of unarmed techniques.
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 1:15:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Don’t their pants do the same thing?
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 1:19:35 PM EDT
[#33]
I just want the old style Portland cops back when there was a cop shooting they would call their buddies to join them and bring extra ammo
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 1:23:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
That's going to work right up until the point people start bouncing their heads off of curbs. Hell Madison (AL) PD didn't even need one of those to do that to an older guy a few years back.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/7/2023 1:24:14 PM EDT
[#35]
I thought the pic was of work boots at first.

That's a sure way to get to get shitbrains to unass the area
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 1:27:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

As the story's piece of shit, yeah, it's an old idea that pops up every few years or so and some moron in purchasing will fall for it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Come on, give him some credit- he got one word out of two correct!
(The word you are looking for is “qualified” - ie immunity if they qualify, which is a troublingly difficult thing for some here to understand).

Anyhow - yeah these have been around forever, another kind of gimmicky thing that has failed to see widespread adoption for good reason.  One of the reasons is indeed that nobody wants the liability of someone face planting into concrete if it can be avoided.  

Also- Columbia County isn’t Portland, and generally isn’t even considered part of the strict “metro” counties (Multnomah, Washington, Clackamas).  It is part of the outlying region, but it is more red and redneck than Portland by a long ways.  Commit crime there and the locals just might take care of business themselves at times, or help you strip the stolen car, depending who it is...  One crazy incident that occurred there was when an armed/dangerous felon on the run broke into the house or barn of what turned out to be a retired police chief.  There was some kind of shootout between the two, and unfortunately both were killed, so they had to kind of piece together what happened from the scene…
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 1:31:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Do Portland cops wear the same uniform as Wonderwoman? I mean WonderNonbinaryHumanoid.
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 1:32:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Does it use the treble grapple hooks to really cinch up into your leg meat?
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 1:38:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Have you seen how fat a lot of these LEOs are? You can't expect them run much less train in any type of unarmed techniques.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In a lot of areas I travel, yes. I don't see as much of it where I live in SE FL for whatever reason.
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 1:39:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Portland cops will use it to immobilize conservatives so the antifa can beat on them more easily.
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 1:41:32 PM EDT
[#41]
lol, I can't wait for the wailing and gnashing of teeth when someone falls and cracks their melon on a cement curb and dies from a TBI after this gets deployed around someones legs
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 1:44:51 PM EDT
[#42]
wonder how this works on a pitbull.
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 1:46:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Like Spider-Man
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 1:49:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
wonder how this works on a pitbull.
View Quote
You mean Golden Retriever with it's tail wagging? I think they just shoot those.
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 1:51:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Or wraps around their neck.
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 2:27:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 2:47:38 PM EDT
[#47]
They work great on people just standing there out in the open.   Other than that, not so much.
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 3:03:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

BolaWrap Slow Motion
View Quote

My dept had at one point, 1800 officers.  How are you going to find the time and money for that ongoing practice and training? They already blow two weeks a year on bullshit PC crap as it is.
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 3:34:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Just shoot them in the leg already…

Link Posted: 11/7/2023 4:24:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Anyone know what the device looks like?

ETA: nvm watched video from a post above. Looks a lot different from a firearm. Pretty cool.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top