User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 8:49:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I once had a 1971 Jaguar XJ6 (happily upgraded with a built-up Corvette 350). I shit you not, the shop manual's instruction for replacing the heater core began "Using a cold chisel and a two- or three-pound sledge . . . ." The heater core was sealed in between the steel exterior firewall and the steel interior firewall. You were supposed to cut a hole in the interior firewall large enough to allow removal and replacement of the core. No instructions for what to do about the hole afterward.

Fortunately, the headers/exhaust ran directly beneath the floorboards, keeping the driver's and front passenger's foot wells at a balmy 194 degrees fahrenheit year 'round so I just took a piece of heater hose and hooked the hot water outlet directly to the return.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Changing the Heater Core in most modern vehicles... You have to remove the dashboard completely to get to it unless they include the maintenance hatch.

I once had a 1971 Jaguar XJ6 (happily upgraded with a built-up Corvette 350). I shit you not, the shop manual's instruction for replacing the heater core began "Using a cold chisel and a two- or three-pound sledge . . . ." The heater core was sealed in between the steel exterior firewall and the steel interior firewall. You were supposed to cut a hole in the interior firewall large enough to allow removal and replacement of the core. No instructions for what to do about the hole afterward.

Fortunately, the headers/exhaust ran directly beneath the floorboards, keeping the driver's and front passenger's foot wells at a balmy 194 degrees fahrenheit year 'round so I just took a piece of heater hose and hooked the hot water outlet directly to the return.
LOL. That's crazy.

Reminds me of most fire engines. The engine is usually by the two rear jump seats. It is "insulated" but if you go back to the station and forget to roll down the windows, on your next call you'll be getting into your bunker gear in a 110 degree environment because the engine heat has cooked the interior. Have I mentioned it is really loud too?
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 9:18:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Damn it...

(in the market for a used Sub )
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
'02 Suburban, have to drop the gas tank to replace the notoriously failure-prone fuel pump.

Damn it...

(in the market for a used Sub )

Nah, don't let that stop you.  Nothing's perfect.  This beastie was our main family ride for over a decade, and went above and beyond many times.  Retired from active duty a few years back, but we still keep it around as a backup, grocery hauler, and general farm truck.  Used it a few weeks ago to skid firewood logs out of the woods.

Another thing to watch out for on them, though, is the brake lines.  For a while there the lines they were using had corrosion problems.  Still wouldn't be a deal-breaker though, IMO.  I think it cost me $300 to get the brake lines replaced (small local shop, could be more expensive elsewhere), and the fuel pump replacement was like 600.  Other than that the only problems we ever had with it were just normal wear and tear stuff. Would buy again (if the new ones weren't so fugly and $$$).
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 9:24:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Countertop ice makers have a built in design flaw after just 3-5 years of use when the water tray will not totally refill. The spinning plastic coated pot metal proximity sensor trigger in the water refill tube rusts out and blocks the water flow. Fix, remove proximity sensor and connect the two wires to it together a wire nut, remove rusted out exploded trigger blocking the water refill tube. There is a built in pump timer fail safe without the water flow proximity sensor/trigger. The pump will just run a little longer.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 9:26:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Frigidaire refrigerator.  

I have custom cabinets in my kitchen.  Frigidare was the ONLY fridge I could find that was short enough to fit in the opening.

Of course, it is taller than listed on the spec sheet, so I had to cut my cabinets anyway.  By then, the old fridge was gone so I just kept it rather than buying a good refigerator.

Anyway, the really great design feature of a Frigidaire refrigerator is that if there is a power interruption, it emits a barely audible ding every minute to let you know that you should turn it back on.  Very thoughtful of them to put some kind of warning device on there like that.  Of course, every other refrigerator is the fucking universe just turns back on when there is power.  This one?  Nope.  OFF.  Off until you open the door and push the reset button for 5 or 10 seconds.    Not a day goes by that I don't think someone needs to be shot, but the guy that designed that actually does need to be shot.  Many times.  Starting at the ankles.
View Quote

So, you leave town for a week, and a 5 minute power disruption the second day you're gone keeps the refrigerator off until you get back?

Hook that sucker up to a UPS. That would drive me batty.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 9:31:05 AM EDT
[#5]
There is a type of piece of fucking garbage VAV controller that when they go bad it puts out ghost voltage onto the communication bus, taking down the entire network.

Whoever designed this can fuck off and die a horrible death.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 9:55:00 AM EDT
[#6]
When job-hunting, firms ask you to upload your resume. The good firms (one with IT guys with a brain) have the web-service/software auto-populate the address/work experience/education fields from your uploaded resume.
Other places, with systems designed by monkeys, ask you to upload your resume and then want you to hand-enter all of the fields that are exactly what is contained in the resume. If you want my resume, then why in the f$^$ do I have to input all of the exact data??
View Quote

that's how usajobs.com was for the longest time.  Typical govt work.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 10:13:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Spash guards (mud flaps)  on new Dodge Ram that have a pocket the captures and holds about a quart of water and everything else on the road, and pisses it out slowly on the garage floor over the course of days.  YThHRU
View Quote

That sounds really annoying. Can't you get underneath and drill a larger hole in each one? Or handful of holes?
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 9:11:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Here's one. My windows wouldn't go down on my Toyota... so, since my Toyota was recalled earlier this year, I decided to go in for the recall and to have them "fix" this problem. Of course, nothing was wrong -- there is a button which turns-off the power to the passenger side window and two rear windows. Who knows when I hit this button... I would have never dreamed such a button was necessary. I've never seen such a thing. I guess my old age is showing.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 9:24:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Anything marked “Dodge”
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 9:35:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
When job-hunting, firms ask you to upload your resume. The good firms (one with IT guys with a brain) have the web-service/software auto-populate the address/work experience/education fields from your uploaded resume.
Other places, with systems designed by monkeys, ask you to upload your resume and then want you to hand-enter all of the fields that are exactly what is contained in the resume. If you want my resume, then why in the f$^$ do I have to input all of the exact data??

You think that's bad, my company's internal website is like that.

When you're applying with the company you already fucking work for lol.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 9:47:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Here's one. My windows wouldn't go down on my Toyota... so, since my Toyota was recalled earlier this year, I decided to go in for the recall and to have them "fix" this problem. Of course, nothing was wrong -- there is a button which turns-off the power to the passenger side window and two rear windows. Who knows when I hit this button... I would have never dreamed such a button was necessary. I've never seen such a thing. I guess my old age is showing.
View Quote

They’ve had that for years.
Allows the driver to disable those windows to keep the kids from rolling them down when they aren’t supposed to.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 11:54:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

My grandfather's Lincoln did this back in the 70's, back when power windows were not on most cars. You are not older than he would be if he was still alive and he knew it was there and how to operate it.  (he passed away in 1983 so...)
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 11:58:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 12:33:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Windows 10 I hate it.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 6:14:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Who knows when I hit this button... I would have never dreamed such a button was necessary.
View Quote
Yeah, these window lockouts have been around for quite a while....our '03, '07, and '08 vehicles all have them.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 12:14:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yeah, these window lockouts have been around for quite a while....our '03, '07, and '08 vehicles all have them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Who knows when I hit this button... I would have never dreamed such a button was necessary.

Wait until someone hits the child power doorlock disable on his vehicle, and he thinks the back doorlocks are malfunctioning
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 12:59:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

We won’t even talk about how that resume system is fucked up.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 1:08:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
There is a type of piece of fucking garbage VAV controller that when they go bad it puts out ghost voltage onto the communication bus, taking down the entire network.

Whoever designed this can fuck off and die a horrible death.
View Quote

Which brand? @Burnka871
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 1:10:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Which brand? @Burnka871
View Quote

Microflo II
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 1:25:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Brings to mind a 50's Nash Rambler my uncle had when I was a kid.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 4:47:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Microflo II
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which brand? @Burnka871

Microflo II

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 4:51:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
3rd gen 4Runner lower ball joints

View Quote

Yup.

Winner - Maserati BiTurbo.  /thread
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 4:54:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
1. This forum's multiple choice response set-up is poorly designed.

2. Tacos
View Quote

Tacos are burritos that are rolled by an amateur.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 4:59:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Dominion election software?
View Quote

It works exactly as designed.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 5:00:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Those "zero spill" EPA gas nozzles.
View Quote

Wow right off the bat.  Going to go with this clusterfuck of a device, never spilled so much fuel in my life until these came around.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 5:00:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Reminded me of one

Late 90s explorer, if you put the child lock on the rear door and someone tried to open it from the inside, not even aggressively, the inside of the handle would snap and the door wouldn't open from the inside anymore.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 5:23:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Keepright equipment.

Why would you clearly label a switch “pump down switch” with on/off functions and the off function be for pump down?
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top