Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 13
Posted: 9/1/2021 1:42:50 PM EDT
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/grand-jury-elijah-mcclain-investigation-indicts-officers-medics-2019-death-n1278240

Two police officers, one former officer and two paramedics in Aurora, Colorado, will face charges in the death of Elijah McClain, a young Black man who was detained, placed in a chokehold and given a powerful sedative in a confrontation with police in 2019.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 2:31:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Four more voids created... that will soon be filled by leftists.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 2:37:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/grand-jury-elijah-mcclain-investigation-indicts-officers-medics-2019-death-n1278240

Two police officers, one former officer and two paramedics in Aurora, Colorado, will face charges in the death of Elijah McClain, a young Black man who was detained, placed in a chokehold and given a powerful sedative in a confrontation with police in 2019.
View Quote

Ketamine and other anesthetics that are not used with dedicated breathing
support have ALWAYS been some of the more dangerous types of General Anesthesia.

The easy availability of Pulse Oximeters has made their use somewhat safer.
If the PO2 of the blood starts to drop alarms go off.

The use of a Pulse Oximeter is often a requirement when these type of drugs are used.
The difference between "insensate" and "dead from not breathing" can be very narrow.

Especially if EtOH or other drugs are involved.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 4:43:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I am surprised they went after the paramedics.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 4:45:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Four more voids created... that will soon be filled by leftists.
View Quote

Is that the narrative now, all kinds of leftists just sitting around waiting for cops retire, die or go to prison so they can replace them ?

Link Posted: 9/1/2021 4:46:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I find it hard to care, in this case.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 4:46:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Coc 4 and 7, deleted~justsayin
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 4:50:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Why shoot him up with ketamine after he had been cuffed?

Why not just toss him in back and haul him off to jail?
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 4:57:24 PM EDT
[#8]
what's going  to  get them is they posed for a pic  iirc
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 5:00:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

support have ALWAYS been some of the more dangerous types of General Anesthesia.

The use of a Pulse Oximeter is often a requirement when these type of drugs are used.
The difference between "insensate" and "dead from not breathing" can be very narrow.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you give someone ketamine then you should be monitoring them.

SPO2 is not a good indicator as they are already becoming hypoxic when you start to see a drop.  

End Tidal Capnometry/Capnography is a much better metric.  You can see the breathing rate (and other things) on your monitor.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 5:01:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Coc 4 and 7, deleted~justsayin
View Quote

I don't know anything about this case, but I feel like this should be quoted before its deleted.

ETA: After reading the article the charges sound like they are politically motivated.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 5:05:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
all kinds of leftists just sitting around waiting for cops retire, die or go to prison so they can replace them ?
View Quote

Where was any such thing stated?
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 5:05:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm not.

1) They gave the Ketamine on orders from the police, not on their own judgement of medical need.
2) They gave medication to a patient who was capable of consenting, without his consent.
3) They gave him 150% of the max dose for his weight.
4) It's debatable, but likely that the ketamine was the direct cause of death.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 5:07:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'm not.

1) They gave the Ketamine on orders from the police, not on their own judgement of medical need.
2) They gave medication to a patient who was capable of consenting, without his consent.
View Quote

EMS is not going to administer any drugs, especially something as strong as Ketamine, because an officer told them to. Anything that they administered was done so out of their own judgement.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 5:14:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

EMS is not going to administer any drugs, especially something as strong as Ketamine, because an officer told them to. Anything that they administered was done so out of their own judgement.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not.

And as a corollary to that, any EMS that administers medication based solely on the command of a police officer has no business being in medicine, period.

Remember, "Just following orders" is not a valid defense.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 5:16:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not.

You may be right. I read up on the case a while back and remember someone stating that the cops asked for the shot. If that's wrong, I still think they F'd up.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 5:16:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I don't know anything about this case, but I feel like this should be quoted before its deleted.

ETA: After reading the article the charges sound like they are politically motivated.
View Quote

They had a pretty weak case for seizing him in the first place so…that’s a complication.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 5:20:41 PM EDT
[#17]
They murdered him because someone called 911 and told them he had a mask.

Minute-To-Minute Breakdown Leading Up To Elijah McClain's Deadly Stop | NBC News NOW
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 5:22:01 PM EDT
[#18]
There are really some truly hate filled people on this forum.

It must be the worst I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 5:23:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good. I hope those cops receive a swift execution.

I really don’t know how you can come to the conclusion that this is mostly political. They fucked up bigly and someone ended up dead.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 5:27:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You may be right. I read up on the case a while back and remember someone stating that the cops asked for the shot. If that's wrong, I still think they F'd up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not.

At 20:45 Firefighter says they're going to give him Ketamine when the EMS arrives. They then go on to talk about how strong he is due to "whatever he's on". So the cops set him up to be sedated to death, by assuming he was on drugs. How nice of them.

RAW: Bodycam video shows incident where man died following struggle with Aurora police
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 5:28:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 5:29:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
They murdered him because someone called 911 and told them he had a mask.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGlHMZQtO7U
View Quote

Wow...
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 5:30:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

You will blindly defend anyone with a badge, won't you?
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 5:32:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

At 20:45 Firefighter says they're going to give him Ketamine when the EMS arrives. They then go on to talk about how strong he is due to "whatever he's on". So the cops set him up to be sedated to death, by assuming he was on drugs. How nice of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uI9cBHgCS4
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uI9cBHgCS4

I hate to quote myself, but:

@ 22:40 I think the same fire fighter who said they'd give him Ketamine tells arriving EMS to give him 500.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 5:37:38 PM EDT
[#25]
According to body cam audio, these were McClain's last words as he was restrained by police officers:

I can't breathe. I have my ID right here. My name is Elijah McClain. That's my house. I was just going home. I'm an introvert. I'm just different. That's all. I'm so sorry. I have no gun. I don't do that stuff. I don't do any fighting. Why are you attacking me? I don't even kill flies! I don't eat meat! But I don't judge people, I don't judge people who do eat meat. Forgive me. All I was trying to do was become better. I will do it. I will do anything. Sacrifice my identity, I'll do it. You all are phenomenal. You are beautiful and I love you. Try to forgive me. I'm a mood Gemini. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. Ow, that really hurt! You are all very strong. Teamwork makes the dream work. Oh, I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to do that. I just can't breathe correctly.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 5:40:18 PM EDT
[#26]
What was their "reasonable articulable suspicion" to stop him?

What crime did they suspect he had committed?
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 5:43:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 5:43:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

The cops that killed a guy for wearing a mask?
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 5:47:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
which posts? i can't find them
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 5:55:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Lost here, why give Ketamine?

He was handcuffed. Hog tie him 4 point restraints, something else.
the dying  it was not the cops fault,  but the paramedics
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 5:55:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

These assholes protected and served the shit out of him!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 5:55:50 PM EDT
[#32]
I remember this case, very tragic what happened to this poor guy, I hope his family gets some closure and some justice.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 5:56:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

You will blindly damn anyone who does not share your hate, won't you?
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 5:57:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I'm not.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not.

That’s the part that was missing.  Cops don’t have the legal or medical authority to order anyone give any medication.  This is a prime example of why, when at the intersection of medicine and policing, you tell the officer to kindly piss off if you’re EMS, a nurse or a doctor.  Wait for a judge to order you to do something and then do it under protest no matter how innocuous it may seem.  let them take the blame.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 5:58:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Who hates who here?
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 5:59:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

The police wanted him drugged, in their expert opinion, he was too strong for them to handle while alive.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 5:59:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What hate?  These assholes killed a man for wearing a mask and you think that is ok?  
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 6:01:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Even if the paramedics were correct in the excited delirium assessment, they got the Ketamine dose way wrong.

Based on what I could find, the dose of Ketamine for ED is 4-5mg/kg

Elijah weighed 140lbs or 63kg

Dose should have been 250-320mg. They gave him 500mg

This dose was 156%-200% of the recommended dose.

Ketamine is used by some vets for euthanasia. It's not something to fuck around with.

This was depraved indifference to Elijah's life, at best. At worst, they put him down like a dog.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 6:02:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not.

There's no way that a Medical Director would allow the administration of Ketamine in the prehospital setting based solely on the Paramedic's judgement. There has to be some type of Protocol that dictates when, why and under what clinical circumstances (i.e. excited delirium) Ketamine may be administered. If Ketamine is ,based on the Paramedics judgement, warranted but the situation doesn't fit within the protocol, then they should call their Medical Command for a consult and obtain permission to administer Ketamine...
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 6:03:02 PM EDT
[#40]
40p
Quoted:

The police wanted him drugged, in their expert opinion, he was too strong for them to handle while alive.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The paramedic was a dumbass if that is why Ketamine was given
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 6:03:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

This guy?
Attachment Attached File

The coroner's report states that McClain was 5 feet 6 inches (1.68 m) tall and weighed 140 pounds (64 kg).
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 6:03:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Ketamine has a really low risk of respiratory depression and wears off pretty quickly.

I’m no medical examiner but I doubt the dude died from the Ketamine… more likely the “excited delirium” w/ heart condition.

The paramedics likely did the Special K because they were tasked w/ getting the guy under control and transported to a hospital. I’d seriously doubt they did it at the direction of a cop.

Bottom line is that if people don’t want cops killing people when taking them into custody for bullshit stuff, perhaps cops shouldn’t be expected to use violence to enforce stupid nanny-state laws and run every aspect of peoples’ lives.

(All that said, is there a problem with wearing a ski mask or balaclava in Colorado even if it’s not winter?)
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 6:05:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

What hate are you talking about? Please use your words like an adult and explain.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 6:06:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What hate have I shown in this thread?

Please feel free to point it out to me.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 6:08:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

What hate?  These assholes killed a man for wearing a mask and you think that is ok?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He seems like the kind of guy that would have helped hold the victim down, if he could.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 6:08:19 PM EDT
[#46]
why cops continue to show up for work baffles me.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 6:08:38 PM EDT
[#47]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

These assholes protected and served the shit out of him!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1874/6F8B2963-C587-4CEF-99A7-246983AD628C_jpe-2074721.JPG

They look like the office copier got jammed.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 6:09:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

If you give someone ketamine then you should be monitoring them.

SPO2 is not a good indicator as they are already becoming hypoxic when you start to see a drop.  

End Tidal Capnometry/Capnography is a much better metric.  You can see the breathing rate (and other things) on your monitor.
View Quote

It is, of course, hard to know from the article what level of care was being provided during the transport. I would consider, at a minimum, SpO2 and a cardiac monitor to be indicated.  Capnography would of course be the gold standard here.

Link Posted: 9/1/2021 6:09:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
ALL of those people should go directly to fucking jail.... Wow flat out fucking murder.... What was he guilty of? Seriously? Did he do something to warrant that?
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 6:12:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

This guy?
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1874/20999EF8-373A-4BD7-8002-0127C8D3E6B9_jpe-2074725.JPG

The coroner's report states that McClain was 5 feet 6 inches (1.68 m) tall and weighed 140 pounds (64 kg).
View Quote

"Whatever he's on, he has incredible strength!"

"Yeah, crazy strength!"

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top