BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 49
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:57:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Beltfed308:
A knock and talk where a resident gets shot just for having a firearm at his side answering the door of his home. That's it really. No witnesses so far, just whatever the front desk lady may have heard 2nd 3rd or 40th hand.

What if Mr.Fortson had just shut the door when being told to step back? Under no legal obligation right?

Do you think Acorn2 would have just walked away? Or does opening the door start the "infamous" investigation into nothing to confirm the nothing that could be confirmed before even entering the elevator?

View Quote

In hindsight we can say for sure that the cop was a deadly threat to the resident.

That will probably stay in the back of the mind for more than a few individuals there.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:59:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By OCW:
Originally Posted By MSGTUSAF:
Originally Posted By XNARC:

Here .just like the gd, understand shit half ass

https://i.imgur.com/KtquXKe.jpg

You realize the police whined to get the definition changed cause they didn't like being called civilian. The definition of civilian for the past century was basically anyone under the ucmj, cops aren't under the ucmj, they just whine alot.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/240604/69551DFC-27D9-43C7-A924-B4B7C315B0D7_jpe-3213020.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/240604/DE4F32C1-7900-4A1A-BE7C-311C5EBEE884_jpe-3213022.JPG

This is one the things that bugs me the most about modern LE. They are civilians themselves. Every single last one of them are civilians themselves. Stop referring to other people as civilians. You are one, too!!
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:00:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By TaskForce:

Not really the nature of what I meant. The use of force continuum itself, as in the policy, would be legal and if performed within the scope of employment backed by the agency. And ruled legal.

Within the continuum, there is no, "you need reasonable suspicion of a crime to use force to defend yourself."
View Quote
Now apply exactly that to the airman.

The bottom line is it is quite obvious the airman did not need to be shot.  The cop in this case simply freaked out.  Could be he should never have been a cop, could be his training sucked, could be a lot of things.  But the bottom line is most rational normal people probably would not have shot the guy.  

If the airman would have done something with the gun that was concerning, aim it, pointed it? there would be a lot more reason for him to have been shot.  

Its just not there.  The cop screwed up.  He may get it out of it legally depending how their laws are written.  But hiding behind a law favoring the cop for just in case circumstances, doesn't change this airman never needed to be shot.  Those hard core defending should really check their moral compass.  

This shooting should literally never happened.  And hindsight is not a driving force.  It's obvious without hindsight.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:04:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Lug1:

The bottom line is it is quite obvious the airman did not need to be shot.  The cop in this case simply freaked out.  Could be he should never have been a cop, could be his training sucked, could be a lot of things.  But the bottom line is most rational normal people probably would not have shot the guy.  

If the airman would have done something with the gun that was concerning, aim it, pointed it? there would be a lot more reason for him to have been shot.  

Its just not there.  The cop screwed up.  He may get it out of it legally depending how their laws are written.  But hiding behind a law favoring the cop for just in case circumstances, doesn't change this airman never needed to be shot.  Those hard core defending should really check their moral compass.  

This shooting should literally never happened.  And hindsight is not a driving force.  It's obvious without hindsight.
View Quote

I agree. I was just trying to address a specific point. Maybe I did a poor job. Maybe it's inappropriate to do so in threads like these.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:05:46 AM EDT
[#5]

View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:08:15 AM EDT
[#6]

I agree. I was just trying to address a specific point. Maybe I did a poor job. Maybe it's inappropriate to do so in threads like these.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Well we've had posters claiming that what the resident did was brandishing.  Aka threatening the officer.  So it's pretty much clown world here.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:08:41 AM EDT
[#7]

View All Quotes

Naw man its all good.  Just having a discussion in print.  You know all the issues that presents.  Its all good.  

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:09:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By haveTwo:

Well we've had posters claiming that what the resident did was brandishing.  Aka threatening the officer.  So it's pretty much clown world here.
View Quote

I can't speak for everyone.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:21:26 AM EDT
[#9]

Not really the nature of what I meant. The use of force continuum itself, as in the policy, would be legal and if performed within the scope of employment backed by the agency. And ruled legal.

Within the continuum, there is no, "you need reasonable suspicion of a crime to use force to defend yourself."
View Quote

Okay, within that context I can go along with that.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:25:58 AM EDT
[#10]

View All Quotes

Yeah, context is important, and oh so easy in text. No worries
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:31:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Imzadi:

So anyone that is reasonably thought to be a threat can be killed? Because this officer was without a doubt a threat. Could the airman have justifiably shot the cop?
View Quote

According to the current anchor shot thread going on right now, yes. A pistol in your hand warrants instant execution.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:52:27 AM EDT
[#12]
The only people that I have ever encountered that really care about the word civilian are here.
View Quote

Care? Not sure what you even mean by that.

Historically the word civilian has been defined as non-military.

Now we have LE Generals taking the podium, with 4 stars on their shoulders and collars, and referring to to every non-LEO as a civilian. It’s a departure from a historical norm and when historical norms change it elicits discussion.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:22:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Jason280:
Everything you posted is entirely irrelevant, and you really are grasping at straws.  You can try to change the narrative all you want,  but this idea that the mere possession of a handgun while in your own residence justifies being shot buy an uninvited individual is just crazy in my mind.
View All Quotes
Everything you posted is entirely irrelevant, and you really are grasping at straws.  You can try to change the narrative all you want,  but this idea that the mere possession of a handgun while in your own residence justifies being shot buy an uninvited individual is just crazy in my mind.
What's crazy is I NEVER SAID THAT!  I'm going to assume that your reading comprehension and command of the English language are garbage.  Your later paragraph proves this when you confuse the definition of assumed and verified.  Another failure of comprehension can be seen here:
and ended in the death of young man who had committed no crime.
There is lots of legal shit that can kill you.  Whether or not Fortson committed a crime is irrelevant.  He completed the three elements of AOJ.  That's Ability (can aim and fire before the knocker can do anything about it), Opportunity (he's within a few feet without the knocker being securely behind cover), and Jeopardy (the choice to have the pistol in hand AND display it to the knocker instead of concealed from view or holstered instead of held.)

Originally Posted By Missilegeek:
The biggest problem with your argument is that you insist that the existence of a firearm is threatening. That is not the way the FL law reads. Even if it did, that would be unconstitutional, as we all know that RTKBA, particularly pistols in the home; is covered by the 2A and routinely affirmed by SCOTUS.

Both key elements of the FL law for improper exhibition are not met by the Airmen

1. There was no clear exhibition of a "rude, careless, angry or threatening manner"
2. It was absolutely necessary for him to keep his arms at the ready for potential attack from unknown threats. As it turns out, even doing so was clearly demonstrated as wholly inadequate.

Existence of guns is not a threat. Cops can't just shoot someone open carrying on the street, nor can they do so in your own house. The Deputy had no provocation for his attack, and has no justification for claiming it was in defense of himself or others. It is murder / manslaughter.
Yet again: I DID NOT SAY ANY OF THAT!  I did not claim that the mere existence of a weapon is threatening.  I did not say that FL law said that.

1) It is reasonable for anyone outside the door to feel threatened by the door being opened with the pistol visibly in hand.  If that wouldn't scare you then I am concerned for you.
2) He caused the effect by his choice.  It is possible to be prepared and keep the pistol out of sight so that argument is bunk too.

Open carry has nothing to do with this situation.

If I would have done what this Deputy did, in Baghdad, I would have violated the ROE. The enemy has to show hostile intent. So even if your claims that this was a legal shoot were legit (they aren't) it's a VERY sad day when our Army does better at protecting the basic rights of people in a 3rd world country we are occupying, than a Deputy can do in Florida.
I heard that the ROEs in Iraq and Afghanistan were messed up, but learning that the ROE overrode your right to self-defense is a VERY sad day.

We can't know that the victim knew it was a cop, he's dead.  Kinda hard to ask him what he knew.
Originally Posted By Plank_Spanker:
How do you know the airman knew it was a cop at his door? Lets ask him, oh wait, never mind.
We do have bodycam with the word "police" being audible a few seconds before the door is opened.  You can argue it wasn't him, it was misunderstood, or he was talking to himself about calling the police instead of answering the door if you want.  I'm going to stick with it being Fortson and he knew or knew it was likely it was the police until and unless the deputy's or a witness's statement is released and says otherwise.

Originally Posted By TAG_Match:
This right here.  This thread has seriously made me reflect upon my own thought process regarding the presence of weapons.  Is there something wrong with me?  I just assume EVERYONE is armed, and in my AO I don’t think that’s far off from reality.
There's a big difference between assuming and them showing it to you.  I've been arguing from the assumption that everyone understood this.

I don’t WANT a world where I have to second guess what I’m doing to avoid being killed in my own home/on my property because I inadvertently scared a police officer.
This was very much advertent on Fortson's part.  Well, that's not quite true -- you could argue that he accidently opened the door or that he simply forgot he was holding the pistol.

No.  In your hypothetical I would not shoot the guy.  I would move myself and my girl scout out of the fatal funnel.  If I saw what that officer ACTUALLY saw, I probably wouldn’t have done anything.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/583190/592C06B9-7C30-47EE-AD9B-72F8506CB060_jpe-3212478.JPG
Strange that you excoriate the deputy for staying to the side and shooting while simultaneously claiming you would get yourself out of the fatal funnel.  That statement demonstrates that, at least subconsciously, you know the truth.

Posting that image is dishonest as all hell.  He didn't bring his hand up until the deputy had completed his presentation and could not have stopped himself.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:23:09 AM EDT
[#14]

Now we have LE Generals taking the podium, with 4 stars on their shoulders and collars, and referring to to every non-LEO as a civilian. It’s a departure from a historical norm and when historical norms change it elicits discussion.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/240604/5C40BDAB-E48C-44C2-BEC7-DAB82F011E25_jpe-3213078.JPG

View Quote

Care as in spend their free time worrying about it. The stars on that guy's costume have no bearing on my life.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:23:16 AM EDT
[#15]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/240604/5C40BDAB-E48C-44C2-BEC7-DAB82F011E25_jpe-3213078.JPG

View Quote

That fat ass looks like a South American general with hos stupid stars and ribbons. And he’s still a civilian.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:25:35 AM EDT
[#16]

Hey that’s great… thank you your service, but to see if there is some relationship here, or the ‘same exact scenario’ , just afew questions: you’re you know tooling around Baghdad, maybe stopped for some tea at the local  Starbucks, single man unit in your humvee,  get a call about a disturbance at a house,  you roll up leave the m4 between the seat and radio, you keep your beretta on safe and holstered, and then announce yourself at the door?  You’re at the door , or in the house and then someone appears with an kalashnikov, or a pistol and…take it from there?  And, if you used deadly force, and charged, would your jury be made up of btdt soldiers, or would they draw from the citizens of Baghdad, and then you would be in some federal prison? Your branch of service sued for millions… just trying to see the similarities that’s all.
View Quote

Boy, you really hate freedom don't you.

The fact that our military is out there in a hostile nation and wait for hostile intent but our cops and cop defenders think that a police force operating in our own nation shouldn't have to wait for hostile intent and can just gun down anyone they see who has a firearm on them - that's whacked.

So before you say but he didn't have the firearm just on him, he had it in his hand.    Do you really think it takes substantially more time to pull from your holster and shoot than it does to move your hand from at your side with gun in it to up and shooting?

ALSO - it's really telling that you don't want the American Citizens to make up a jury for a cop.  What the fuck dude? You serve the citizenry. The citizenry are your peers.  No one gets a jury of people of the same profession.  You think an owner of a strip club who gets accused of overlooking a little handjob for an extra $40 should be judged only by other stripclub owners?  Of course not.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:47:04 AM EDT
[#17]

I'm pretty sure they had a lot of shootings around that time. Not somewhere I'd want to work.
View Quote

Shootings by acorns?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:49:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By mpdphil:

Shootings by acorns?
View Quote

Ever take a full power shot by an acorn? I doubt it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:57:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By KELBEAST:

You can be super scared at a carnival haunted house but that doesn’t mean you can start blasting the skeletons and ghosts
View Quote

C’mon man, this is ridiculous. Everyone knows you can’t kill ghosts and skeletons with guns. Duh.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:58:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Rebel31:

This is one the things that bugs me the most about modern LE. They are civilians themselves. Every single last one of them are civilians themselves. Stop referring to other people as civilians. You are one, too!!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MSGTUSAF:

Here .just like the gd, understand shit half ass

https://i.imgur.com/KtquXKe.jpg

You realize the police whined to get the definition changed cause they didn't like being called civilian. The definition of civilian for the past century was basically anyone under the ucmj, cops aren't under the ucmj, they just whine alot.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/240604/69551DFC-27D9-43C7-A924-B4B7C315B0D7_jpe-3213020.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/240604/DE4F32C1-7900-4A1A-BE7C-311C5EBEE884_jpe-3213022.JPG

Pro tip: everyone is. Unless you're active duty, or can be recalled, you're not special.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:59:37 AM EDT
[#21]

Obviously I meant scared of someone with a gun. Or knife. Within a set of circumstances.
View Quote

I would be more scared of a ghost than a guy with a gun or knife. A gun can dispatch an armed bad guy, how do you dispatch a ghost or other monster?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:08:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By mpdphil:

I would be more scared of a ghost than a guy with a gun or knife. A gun can dispatch an armed bad guy, how do you dispatch a ghost or other monster?
View Quote

That's classified.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:09:28 AM EDT
[#23]

Ever take a full power shot by an acorn? I doubt it.
View Quote

I never have and hope I never do. They must be pretty vicious judging by how some react to them.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:13:39 AM EDT
[#24]

That's classified.
View Quote

That contraption from the Ghostbusters movie! We’ll never get them from the government through the 1033 program I bet.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:16:50 AM EDT
[#25]
https://bencrump.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/05/Roger-Fortson-girlfriend-FT-video.mp4
Ben Crump released part of the FaceTime video from the girlfriend.  Conveniently the shooting and everything before it is cut.

Police Activity on Youtube has the body cam video and it is much clearer than the video in the OP.
Okaloosa County Deputy Shoots Airman Who Opened His Apartment's Door Holding a Gun
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:18:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Francisco_dAnconia:
What's crazy is I NEVER SAID THAT!  I'm going to assume that your reading comprehension and command of the English language are garbage.  Your later paragraph proves this when you confuse the definition of assumed and verified.  Another failure of comprehension can be seen here:There is lots of legal shit that can kill you.  Whether or not Fortson committed a crime is irrelevant.  He completed the three elements of AOJ.  That's Ability (can aim and fire before the knocker can do anything about it), Opportunity (he's within a few feet without the knocker being securely behind cover), and Jeopardy (the choice to have the pistol in hand AND display it to the knocker instead of concealed from view or holstered instead of held.)

Yet again: I DID NOT SAY ANY OF THAT!  I did not claim that the mere existence of a weapon is threatening.  I did not say that FL law said that.

1) It is reasonable for anyone outside the door to feel threatened by the door being opened with the pistol visibly in hand.  If that wouldn't scare you then I am concerned for you.
2) He caused the effect by his choice.  It is possible to be prepared and keep the pistol out of sight so that argument is bunk too.

I heard that the ROEs in Iraq and Afghanistan were messed up, but learning that the ROE overrode your right to self-defense is a VERY sad day.

We do have bodycam with the word "police" being audible a few seconds before the door is opened.  You can argue it wasn't him, it was misunderstood, or he was talking to himself about calling the police instead of answering the door if you want.  I'm going to stick with it being Fortson and he knew or knew it was likely it was the police until and unless the deputy's or a witness's statement is released and says otherwise.

There's a big difference between assuming and them showing it to you.  I've been arguing from the assumption that everyone understood this.

This was very much advertent on Fortson's part.  Well, that's not quite true -- you could argue that he accidently opened the door or that he simply forgot he was holding the pistol.

Strange that you excoriate the deputy for staying to the side and shooting while simultaneously claiming you would get yourself out of the fatal funnel.  That statement demonstrates that, at least subconsciously, you know the truth.

Posting that image is dishonest as all hell.  He didn't bring his hand up until the deputy had completed his presentation and could not have stopped himself.
https://i.ibb.co/yN0R6t3/Okaloosa-Shooting4.png
View All Quotes
What's crazy is I NEVER SAID THAT!  I'm going to assume that your reading comprehension and command of the English language are garbage.  Your later paragraph proves this when you confuse the definition of assumed and verified.  Another failure of comprehension can be seen here:
and ended in the death of young man who had committed no crime.
There is lots of legal shit that can kill you.  Whether or not Fortson committed a crime is irrelevant.  He completed the three elements of AOJ.  That's Ability (can aim and fire before the knocker can do anything about it), Opportunity (he's within a few feet without the knocker being securely behind cover), and Jeopardy (the choice to have the pistol in hand AND display it to the knocker instead of concealed from view or holstered instead of held.)

The biggest problem with your argument is that you insist that the existence of a firearm is threatening. That is not the way the FL law reads. Even if it did, that would be unconstitutional, as we all know that RTKBA, particularly pistols in the home; is covered by the 2A and routinely affirmed by SCOTUS.

Both key elements of the FL law for improper exhibition are not met by the Airmen

1. There was no clear exhibition of a "rude, careless, angry or threatening manner"
2. It was absolutely necessary for him to keep his arms at the ready for potential attack from unknown threats. As it turns out, even doing so was clearly demonstrated as wholly inadequate.

Existence of guns is not a threat. Cops can't just shoot someone open carrying on the street, nor can they do so in your own house. The Deputy had no provocation for his attack, and has no justification for claiming it was in defense of himself or others. It is murder / manslaughter.

If I would have done what this Deputy did, in Baghdad, I would have violated the ROE. The enemy has to show hostile intent. So even if your claims that this was a legal shoot were legit (they aren't) it's a VERY sad day when our Army does better at protecting the basic rights of people in a 3rd world country we are occupying, than a Deputy can do in Florida.

We can't know that the victim knew it was a cop, he's dead.  Kinda hard to ask him what he knew.
Originally Posted By Plank_Spanker:
How do you know the airman knew it was a cop at his door? Lets ask him, oh wait, never mind.

Originally Posted By TAG_Match:
This right here.  This thread has seriously made me reflect upon my own thought process regarding the presence of weapons.  Is there something wrong with me?  I just assume EVERYONE is armed, and in my AO I don’t think that’s far off from reality.

I don’t WANT a world where I have to second guess what I’m doing to avoid being killed in my own home/on my property because I inadvertently scared a police officer.

No.  In your hypothetical I would not shoot the guy.  I would move myself and my girl scout out of the fatal funnel.  If I saw what that officer ACTUALLY saw, I probably wouldn’t have done anything.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/583190/592C06B9-7C30-47EE-AD9B-72F8506CB060_jpe-3212478.JPG

https://i.ibb.co/yN0R6t3/Okaloosa-Shooting4.png

I appreciate your input.  I will call on you again should I require your unique perspective of reality.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:53:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By BCPVP:
I can't think of any tactical/safety benefit to opening your door with a gun in hand but at your side. If you're concerned, why are you opening the door in the first place? If you're not concerned, why are you answering with a gun in hand on full display?

The only reasons that make any sense are if you plan to shoot the person on the other side of the door or you want to make them think you will/might.

Don't really understand the pushback on this. WI is an open carry state but that doesn't mean I can walk around town with a gun in my hand, even if I don't point it at anyone. Likewise, being on my property doesn't mean it's impossible for me to brandish a gun.
View Quote
Maybe because we're always told to just comply when police bark orders, such as  I don't know, maybe "open the door!"
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:11:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Be fucking honest for a moment: if you saw it was a cop at your door, you're still going to answer it with a gun in your hand, on the off chance it's actually an criminal posing as a cop?
View Quote

The one time that happened to me, I did go to my door with my weapon in hand. Once I clearly saw a deputy through the large window in my door, I placed my weapon on my workstation adjacent to the foyer. Then answered the door. Roger's apartment doesn't have a large window to observe visitors, and did not appear to have anywhere to immediately place the weapon once ordered to open the door. Y'all are doing some serious mental gymnastics to convince yourselves he brought it on himself, or had ill intent.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:14:18 AM EDT
[#29]
No. There's no indication from your scenario that the guy is carrying in a manner meant to intimidate others. Answering a door with a gun in hand and visible means you intend for it to be noticed by the person at the door.

My turn:

Suppose a man lives in an open carry state. He's driving down the road and is pulled over by police. The officer asks the man to step out of the car. He steps out with a gun in his hand.

What do you think happens to the guy? What do you think (legally) happens to the cop?
View Quote
That you're even attempting to compare one's posture in their own residence with that during a traffic stop tells me you are not a serious person.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:20:46 AM EDT
[#30]

Here's how the peep hole works, deputy wasn't outside the view, announced himself as from the sheriffs office, and there was someone inside heard loud enough to be picked up by the deputy's bwc saying 'police' .

So, then if  the airman did hear the deputy announce himself, look out the peep hole,  see the deputy in uniform, acknowledge the deputy's presence  by saying something to the effect of  'police'  and yet opened that door with gun in hand, what would you make of that?

https://i.imgur.com/aPQKjMg.gif
View Quote
He was complying with orders. Just like everyone says to do.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:24:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By AZ_Mike:

You are completely wrong about "sympathetic fire".  He told his partner he was shot and she asked for clarification that the shots were comming from the car before firing.  The first cop is an idiot and should be charged not just fired but the second was doing her job.
View Quote
I seem to recall her asking clarification after firing off a few rounds...but that's just from memory. It raised my eyebrows at the time.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:31:57 AM EDT
[#32]
What the thin blue line is failing to understand is that since st floyd of fentanyl and BLM, half the country hates you. And many of you have displayed an absolute fear of apprehending actual criminals. So you resort to harassing the easy targets, you know so you can all go home at night. But those easy targets are the only ones left that support you. Well that support is dwindling. I guess you can say your family has your back, but the rate of DV within LEO is staggering, so do they?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:41:44 AM EDT
[#33]
"He's displaying a firearm, while answering the door, while knowing it was a cop." is one complete sentence.  You don't get to ignore the bits that contradict your narrative.  It's called the TOTALITY of the circumstances.  Oh, wait, I already said that and you conveniently ignored and clipped it.
View Quote
I could have saved you a lot of typing. Answering a door and opening a door are not the same thing. Answering a door is a series of steps, one of which might be opening the door, if one is so inclined. While answering the door, one can gather additional information from the senses to make a decision on a) opening the door, b) telling the visitor to pound sand, c) ignoring the visitor, d) taking cover and returning fire. At any point from A to C, new information can come to light and alter one's decision. Your perception of the threat can change from red to green pretty quickly, especially once you realize it's buddy cop ordering you to open the door.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:45:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:

Thanks for providing the New England cop perspective.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:49:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:

Your second sentence points out how little hearing police from the other side of the door means, but you keep yammering on about it.

And your final sentence is nothing more than trying to tarnish the image of a special forces Airman.  The sheriff's office has given no evidence to support any position that he was involved in criminal activity, so your saying he was likely involved in criminal activity is slanderous.  You should be ashamed for your actions and withdraw your statement.
View Quote
I read his last sentence to mean that if he was, in fact, a criminal he'd have been UN-likely to answer (and open) the door in the manner he did. But I may have misread it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:54:07 AM EDT
[#36]

IIRC it was reported that the suspect, or someone, was armed with a suppressed weapon. So when he heard the acorn that's where his mind went. Either way I wouldn't want to work with him after hearing that story.
View Quote
Man, I want THAT GUY's prison wallet. Mine will only hold a toothbrush.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:59:17 AM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:07:17 AM EDT
[#38]
I'm going to stick with it being Fortson and he knew or knew it was likely it was the police until and unless the deputy's or a witness's statement is released and says otherwise.
View Quote
I think it's fair to say he likely knew, or at least was somewhat confident it was police at the time he OPENED the door. That doesn't mean this was the case when he retrieved the firearm, or even while walking to the door. He managed to de-escalate from "I wish a MF'er would" to "oh hey, officer" pretty quickly - which is more than we can say for the officer.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:23:22 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By UncleRemis:
What the thin blue line is failing to understand is that since st floyd of fentanyl and BLM, half the country hates you. And many of you have displayed an absolute fear of apprehending actual criminals. So you resort to harassing the easy targets, you know so you can all go home at night. But those easy targets are the only ones left that support you. Well that support is dwindling. I guess you can say your family has your back, but the rate of DV within LEO is staggering, so do they?
View Quote

Evidently you and your “half the country” have plenty in common with BLM.  You take one, two - hell, a dozen highly emotional incidents over the years - to be proof positive of all cops are bastards.  The whole time ignoring that there are millions of absolutely boring police/citizen contacts a year.  

I suggest getting your emotions under control.  Not doing so inevitably leads to citing the same, single bullshit DV study of some a couple hundred random PD officers.  Does the family of an over emotional liar have his back, do they?  

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:05:42 AM EDT
[#40]
I have a gun in my night stand.
It's not in a holster, just in the drawer, 92fs with a thumb safety.

If I hear something weird it's going to be in my hand and I can imagine opening the door still holding it.

It would be pointed at the ground just like this guy and it would never occur to me in a million years that anyone would think that's a threat.

Cop is simply a murderer.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:08:04 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By SekFan:

Evidently you and your “half the country” have plenty in common with BLM.  You take one, two - hell, a dozen highly emotional incidents over the years - to be proof positive of all cops are bastards.  The whole time ignoring that there are millions of absolutely boring police/citizen contacts a year.  

I suggest getting your emotions under control.  Not doing so inevitably leads to citing the same, single bullshit DV study of some a couple hundred random PD officers.  Does the family of an over emotional liar have his back, do they?  

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SekFan:
Originally Posted By UncleRemis:

I haven’t invoked any emotion. I’m presenting you with societal facts. I know you’re dying to tell me to pick up the can, you can do that yourself civilian
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:19:49 AM EDT
[#42]

View Quote

The internet disagreed with you… but maybe a stern letter to them may correct the definition?

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:21:18 AM EDT
[#43]

View All Quotes

Maybe bozo can check state law that defines branding… just a thought
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:26:14 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By 219Zipper:

Boy, you really hate freedom don't you.

The fact that our military is out there in a hostile nation and wait for hostile intent but our cops and cop defenders think that a police force operating in our own nation shouldn't have to wait for hostile intent and can just gun down anyone they see who has a firearm on them - that's whacked.

So before you say but he didn't have the firearm just on him, he had it in his hand.    Do you really think it takes substantially more time to pull from your holster and shoot than it does to move your hand from at your side with gun in it to up and shooting?

ALSO - it's really telling that you don't want the American Citizens to make up a jury for a cop.  What the fuck dude? You serve the citizenry. The citizenry are your peers.  No one gets a jury of people of the same profession.  You think an owner of a strip club who gets accused of overlooking a little handjob for an extra $40 should be judged only by other stripclub owners?  Of course not.
View Quote

Uh… the post was about someone comparing the deputy actions to combat operations clearing a house. It is not! Not even close. Then went on to say the soldier would face a court martial… as you know the soldiers jury would be made up of soldiers, all which have had combat training, most of which would have been deployed.  The deputy would not have jurors with the same base… but continue to be outraged
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:58:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Low_Country:

Decision making skills?

Like calling “shots fired, officer down” because you heard an acorn fall from a tree?
View All Quotes
Apparently so. It seems I've massively overestimated people's decision making skills on this forum.

Decision making skills?

Like calling “shots fired, officer down” because you heard an acorn fall from a tree?

The acorn slayer was West Point grad, in special ops, beeed deployed to Afghanistan twice…from what I read. But continue on.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:19:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: haveTwo] [#46]

View All Quotes

Brandishing?  I've posted it several times.  Requires the multiple factors that aren't met by holding straight down in a non threatening manner.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:30:30 AM EDT
[#47]

The acorn slayer was West Point grad, in special ops, beeed deployed to Afghanistan twice from what I read. But continue on.
View All Quotes
Apparently so. It seems I've massively overestimated people's decision making skills on this forum.

Decision making skills?

Like calling "shots fired, officer down" because you heard an acorn fall from a tree?

The acorn slayer was West Point grad, in special ops, beeed deployed to Afghanistan twice from what I read. But continue on.
Just curious.  Why do you continue to engage obviously ignorant civilians (emphasis mine since you ensured we knew our caste) and prolonging this pointless thread?  Because it should be obvious by now that all non-cops are just too stupid to get what you are saying.

I can only surmise that you continuing to engage all us ignoramuses only serves to further stroke your ego and reinforce in your mind just how much better you are than the civilians you lord over.  The whole sheepdog thing, amirite?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:42:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Middlelength:

I give a lot of people the benefit of the doubt in these circumstances because what happened is obviously a tragedy. But it is clear that lots of people don't have any ability to think critically about these types of incidents.

Lets say YOU, not a police officer, were walking door to door in this apartment complex, with your daughter, because she wanted to sell Girl Scout cookies. So you knocked on each door, yelled "Girl Scout Cookies", and waited. At this particular door, after knocking and announcing your purpose, the door swings open and our young Airman is standing there, holding a pistol. You draw your concealed pistol and shoot him.

Was that murder? Was that first degree murder? Using your logic, he is in his house with a firearm. He has brought that firearm to his door. Using your logic, no one at the other side of the door has any right to feel threatened, because a gun in a hand isn't threatening.

But of course the truth is that it is complicated and really boils down to how you, as the shooter, understood the facts presented to you. And if you thought the gun was MEANT to be threatening, you would have made a reasonable conclusion and even the most progressive anti-gun DAs office would have a hard time convincing anyone to the contrary. And a jury in most states, especially Florida, would have a hard time convicting you of any type of murder in the scenario presented above. And that is the standard that the sheriff will be held to, "what facts did he reasonably understand at the time of the shooting". And it is why when police show up at my door, or people I believe to be the police, I make sure that my hands are clear and visible. And it is also why I generally NEVER have a firearm in my hand when I am interacting with strangers. Which is very different from saying I am ever unarmed.

None of this is saying that the officer had to shoot the young man. But the mental dynamics so many people, including you, are applying to why he COULDN'T LEGALLY have shot him misses that there isn't a law enforcement agency that I know of in this country, and most other countries, where this shooting would be against law or policy. And that is what makes it a tragedy. No one loved this kid enough to tell him answering the door this way was a bad idea, or he had done it for long enough he thought it was good idea, and the exception proved it all wrong.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Middlelength:

I give a lot of people the benefit of the doubt in these circumstances because what happened is obviously a tragedy. But it is clear that lots of people don't have any ability to think critically about these types of incidents.

Lets say YOU, not a police officer, were walking door to door in this apartment complex, with your daughter, because she wanted to sell Girl Scout cookies. So you knocked on each door, yelled "Girl Scout Cookies", and waited. At this particular door, after knocking and announcing your purpose, the door swings open and our young Airman is standing there, holding a pistol. You draw your concealed pistol and shoot him.

Was that murder? Was that first degree murder? Using your logic, he is in his house with a firearm. He has brought that firearm to his door. Using your logic, no one at the other side of the door has any right to feel threatened, because a gun in a hand isn't threatening.

But of course the truth is that it is complicated and really boils down to how you, as the shooter, understood the facts presented to you. And if you thought the gun was MEANT to be threatening, you would have made a reasonable conclusion and even the most progressive anti-gun DAs office would have a hard time convincing anyone to the contrary. And a jury in most states, especially Florida, would have a hard time convicting you of any type of murder in the scenario presented above. And that is the standard that the sheriff will be held to, "what facts did he reasonably understand at the time of the shooting". And it is why when police show up at my door, or people I believe to be the police, I make sure that my hands are clear and visible. And it is also why I generally NEVER have a firearm in my hand when I am interacting with strangers. Which is very different from saying I am ever unarmed.

None of this is saying that the officer had to shoot the young man. But the mental dynamics so many people, including you, are applying to why he COULDN'T LEGALLY have shot him misses that there isn't a law enforcement agency that I know of in this country, and most other countries, where this shooting would be against law or policy. And that is what makes it a tragedy. No one loved this kid enough to tell him answering the door this way was a bad idea, or he had done it for long enough he thought it was good idea, and the exception proved it all wrong.

Why the hell would I shoot him?

Jesus some of you are terrified at the thought of people carrying a weapon.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:50:20 AM EDT
[#49]
https://bencrump.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/05/Roger-Fortson-girlfriend-FT-video.mp4
Ben Crump released part of the FaceTime video from the girlfriend.  Conveniently the shooting and everything before it is cut.

Police Activity on Youtube has the body cam video and it is much clearer than the video in the OP.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYC7IQMBK5s
View Quote

While I get Crump is a shitbag of the highest order, there's not much suspicious about that.

A FaceTime call is still a phone call, and are not normally recorded. It stands to reason the recording was by the person on the other side and they only began recording when there was a reason to do so (the person on the other side of the call getting shot).
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:53:11 AM EDT
[#50]

Hey that’s great… thank you your service, but to see if there is some relationship here, or the ‘same exact scenario’ , just afew questions: you’re you know tooling around Baghdad, maybe stopped for some tea at the local  Starbucks, single man unit in your humvee,  get a call about a disturbance at a house,  you roll up leave the m4 between the seat and radio, you keep your beretta on safe and holstered, and then announce yourself at the door?  You’re at the door , or in the house and then someone appears with an kalashnikov, or a pistol and…take it from there?  And, if you used deadly force, and charged, would your jury be made up of btdt soldiers, or would they draw from the citizens of Baghdad, and then you would be in some federal prison? Your branch of service sued for millions… just trying to see the similarities that’s all.
View All Quotes

If he doesn't show hostile intent, I don't shoot him. This isn't theoretical to me. I cleared houses in Baghdad and Talafar for 2 years. I've been in this exact scenario, more than a few times. Lots of people with guns in houses, on the street...If they aren't making a move, you don't have to get it on.  

The Deputy fucked up. He murdered a guy.

Thanks for playing

You do understand that the ROE eventually ended up with us only being able to RETURN fire, right? He's not shooting at you? You don't get to pop his grape.
Page / 49
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top