Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2022 8:39:40 PM EDT
Thanks in advance.

I have a 8.5" Bison 4 jaw. I am just now after a year getting this setup. On the spindle in the taper there is zero runout and the machine runs very smooth with zero vibration.

When I install the 4 jaw, I can visually see it spin with a slight wobble and the machine has vibration. I used a gauge pin and the best I can dial is 2 tenths. I'm okay with that but suspect I'm compensating with the 4 jaw over the run out.

How do I true the 4 jaw up or is this acceptable?

I tried loosening the back plate but the is no play I can bump out and just tightened the 4 bolts back up.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 9:35:14 PM EDT
[#1]
If the back plate fits into the chuck far enough, you may be able to remove the chuck and turn the OD of the back plate smaller and add 4 set screws to the chuck that you could use to help center the chuck when you indicate it in.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 9:37:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If the back plate fits into the chuck far enough, you may be able to remove the chuck and turn the OD of the back plate smaller and add 4 set screws to the chuck that you could use to help center the chuck when you indicate it in.
View Quote
I will take it apart and look. Thanks
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 6:02:28 AM EDT
[#3]
So the chuck body isn't concentric with the spindle axis?  What does your indicator say on that?
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 7:56:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
So the chuck body isn't concentric with the spindle axis?  What does your indicator say on that?
View Quote
I did not even measure it. I can see it egg over on each rotation.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 9:04:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Is it run out or not concentric/coaxial?

The fix for each of those is different.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 9:37:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Is it run out or not concentric/coaxial?

The fix for each of those is different.
View Quote
I did not think of it that way. I guess I need to measure the back plate for that?
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 12:00:27 PM EDT
[#7]
As a rule of thumb it is a good idea to true the back plate to the machine, most are oversized a bit to allow for that. Just mount the back plate and take a light cut to bring it to size then attach it to the chuck. You may still be able to do that without starting over with a new backplate, depends on how much it is out.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 12:16:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
As a rule of thumb it is a good idea to true the back plate to the machine, most are oversized a bit to allow for that. Just mount the back plate and take a light cut to bring it to size then attach it to the chuck. You may still be able to do that without starting over with a new backplate, depends on how much it is out.
View Quote
Thanks so much. I just watched this video and plan to take it all apart and inspect and will do just as you said. The set screws seem easy enough and I have a rotary so planned that for good measure. This thing is not super heavy but hard enough to get started threading holding it up. I got one of my axis' on the DRO installed yesterday and the VFD the day before that. So finally close to getting up and going. I still have to put the tailstock back on and align it.  

HOW TO MAKE YOUR CHUCK SUPER PRECISE BY ADAPTING IT INTO SET-TRU

Link Posted: 2/28/2022 3:58:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks so much. I just watched this video and plan to take it all apart and inspect and will do just as you said. The set screws seem easy enough and I have a rotary so planned that for good measure. This thing is not super heavy but hard enough to get started threading holding it up. I got one of my axis' on the DRO installed yesterday and the VFD the day before that. So finally close to getting up and going. I still have to put the tailstock back on and align it.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts_cUeo9QjU
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts_cUeo9QjU

Even if you don't do the set screws for fine tuning, turning the back plate as shown about the 10:00 minute mark is highly recommended. There is probably enough material on it you could create a new hub for the chuck to locate on if it is out of true.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 6:19:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I spent over an hour trying to separate the back plate from the chuck to no avail.

The runout on the chuck body is .008 and the back plate is .006 so I'm sure that is the issue.

I just indicated on a gauge pin and was able to get it to zero out so I guess I live with it until I get a torch and run out of cares lol. I have been eyeballing an import 6 jaw 8" with plate for just under $300 so thinking about that.

I used this drift until I mushroomed both sides and just turned it down to fix it for grins. I also lined up the tailstock.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/4/2022 6:53:53 PM EDT
[#11]
You're worried about a collective .014" TIR on a 4-jaw?
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 6:58:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You're worried about a collective .014" TIR on a 4-jaw?
View Quote
I guess I shouldn't. I was worried the vibration would chatter but it seems fine. I'm new to lathes and have only had Mills.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 8:15:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I spent over an hour trying to separate the back plate from the chuck to no avail………………..

I used this drift until I mushroomed both sides
View Quote

Are you sure you had all the bolts out?  Something doesn’t sound right.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 8:16:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Are you sure you had all the bolts out?  Something doesn't sound right.
View Quote
Very sure. Removed the jaws and the 4 bolts. None on the back and it hit like Thor all around the perimeter.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 7:24:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Ya, that TIR is fine, IMO.  

You can also try indexing the back plate into different orientations to reduce runout.  I do this for all my chucks.  It's not fancy, just some T&E.  A hash mark on the spindle matched to a mark on the chuck to make sure they go back together in the best possible arrangement.  

It would also be helpful for you to post pics of what you're actually working on.  It may be an integral chuck, with no removable mount option.   That's how my 4j chucks have been.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 10:47:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Ya, that TIR is fine, IMO.  

You can also try indexing the back plate into different orientations to reduce runout.  I do this for all my chucks.  It's not fancy, just some T&E.  A hash mark on the spindle matched to a mark on the chuck to make sure they go back together in the best possible arrangement.  

It would also be helpful for you to post pics of what you're actually working on.  It may be an integral chuck, with no removable mount option.   That's how my 4j chucks have been.
View Quote
Thank you. I will snap some pics.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 9:16:00 AM EDT
[#18]
To me it appears you could remove the chuck from the back plate, as you suspected.  

If I was going to do something, and I probably wouldn't, here's what I'd do.

Secure the back plate and chuck on the spindle, then separate the two leaving the back plate in situ.  Face the backplate and skim the OD to bring it true.  Reinstall the chuck with the 4 screws snug.  Bump it around with delicate blows until it indicates the lowest TIR your patience will permit.  Lock it down tight.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 2:08:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
To me it appears you could remove the chuck from the back plate, as you suspected.  

If I was going to do something, and I probably wouldn't, here's what I'd do.

Secure the back plate and chuck on the spindle, then separate the two leaving the back plate in situ.  Face the backplate and skim the OD to bring it true.  Reinstall the chuck with the 4 screws snug.  Bump it around with delicate blows until it indicates the lowest TIR your patience will permit.  Lock it down tight.
View Quote
I beat on that thing like it touched my wife and could not get it off. After thinking about I am going to just leave it. I only have the one chuck so I ordered a 3 Jaw and backplate that way I have two and will leave the 3 jaw in until I need the 4. I was enamored by a 6 jaw but really don't see a need for it for what I do.

I appreciate all the input y'all.
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 10:58:23 AM EDT
[#20]

That is definitely a flat back chuck. Did you try loosening the bolts a few turns and tapping on the heads? You would need the chuck off the lathe to do that, obviously. Probably some oil or coolant seeped in and dried into a residue that is holding the parts together.
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 11:24:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That is definitely a flat back chuck. Did you try loosening the bolts a few turns and tapping on the heads? You would need the chuck off the lathe to do that, obviously. Probably some oil or coolant seeped in and dried into a residue that is holding the parts together.
View Quote
You are a freaking genius or I am a dummy one lol. I did not think of that. I have plenty of spare bolts so I will try that. Thank you!
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 3:50:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You are a freaking genius or I am a dummy one lol. I did not think of that. I have plenty of spare bolts so I will try that. Thank you!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We can skip the labels and just call it experience. Hope it works!
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 12:58:04 AM EDT
[#23]
I found the issue lol. The backplate and the chuck was threaded. The spindle is long. As soon as I removed it from the lathe it just fell off.

I cleaned it up and put it back together. I found there was no lip, not sure if that matters. I need experience on this so I ordered an unmachined back plate to fit it. And holy cow that cast iron goes everywhere.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/12/2022 9:42:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Yes it does!  Thoroughly clean your machine afterward.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top