Page / 12
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:26:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Rodney Reese

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:26:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't get the outrage here. A person walking out in at or near record cold in north Texas with a T-shirt on will get talked to. If he had rolled back the attitude he would have gone home.
View Quote

If I'm not committing a crime and I tell you to eff off, then eff off.     You can talk to me all you'd like.  I don't have to answer.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:28:20 AM EDT
[#3]
That isn't a difficult choice at all. It's always easier to explain why you did nothing, than it is to explain why you did something that went terribly wrong.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:28:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Initiated a terry stop because a guy is walking in the street after a snowfall when the sidewalks aren't cleared in a t shirt.

Were these cops in suspended animation somewhere for the past decade? "Excuse me black man, i'd like to get your name and destination to understand what business you have in the white part of town? We've gotten calls..."
View Quote

Childish Gambino - This Is America (Official Video)
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:28:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

If I'm not committing a crime and I tell you to eff off, then eff off.     You can talk to me all you'd like.  I don't have to answer.
View Quote
You aright you don't have to talk. I don't see why telling people to eff off is a polite thing to do. Much of the time if you are polite to people things will go much better.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:30:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Stupid cops.

Guy looked like the typical ''walking in snow'' person. Did the cops cite all the house owners who didn't have their sidewalks shoveled? [if there were sidewalks]

If they didn't, and there were sidewalks then I'd consider the cops were under the influence of ''RMA.'' They HAD to know why the guy was walking in the tire tracks and if he wasn't actually impeding traffic, what was the big deal?
View Quote

I don't think any Plano resident is going to shovel their walk unless it is to get out their Range Rover Sport or Porsche Cayenne.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:32:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:33:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you are walking in the middle of the street and impeding traffic flow, you may be committing a crime. I don't know if that was what happened. Seemed they were more going with the welfare check approach, which most states have laws which allow police to detain or arrest you if they have PC to believe you are a harm to yourself or others, even absent a crime.  

Of course the kid could always have stopped for 30 sec and say "yeah, I am all set, I don't want any help, I am walking home which is about 5 min from here, I don't want to talk to you anymore than that, thanks". But that would have been too easy.

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:34:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I don't get the outrage here. A person walking out in at or near record cold in north Texas with a T-shirt on will get talked to. If he had rolled back the attitude he would have gone home.
View Quote

Unreal.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:34:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You aright you don't have to talk. I don't see why telling people to eff off is a polite thing to do. Much of the time if you are polite to people things will go much better.
View Quote

He was polite.  He said he had no interest in talking to them and didn't need their help.  They continued to harass him, then assaulted and kidnapped him.   They should all be fired and sending him money.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:36:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Unreal.
View Quote
So being a dick is the correct way to talk to people?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:36:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Much of the time, but not this time.  The man who was arrested responded politely and kept moving, until the police blocked his way.  The more confrontational they got the less polite he got.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:37:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If you are walking in the middle of the street and impeding traffic flow, you may be committing a crime. I don't know if that was what happened. Seemed they were more going with the welfare check approach, which most states have laws which allow police to detain or arrest you if they have PC to believe you are a harm to yourself or others, even absent a crime.  

Of course the kid could always have stopped for 30 sec and say "yeah, I am all set, I don't want any help, I am walking home which is about 5 min from here, I don't want to talk to you anymore than that, thanks". But that would have been too easy.

View Quote

So not watching the video you don't know if he was the only person there and the police were the only car(s). Did he give any indication that he was going to harm himself or others?

This isn't that hard when you don't have to contort yourself to justify police interaction when none is wanted or needed or required.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:37:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

How was he being a dick?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:37:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I get what you're saying, and attitude rarely helps, but you could replace wearing a T-shirt with any Karen type complaint that you like to justify an interaction. Wearing a T-shirt is a pretty weak reason to justify stopping someone.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:37:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

He was polite.  He said he had no interest in talking to them and didn't need their help.  They continued to harass him, then assaulted and kidnapped him.   They should all be fired and sending him money.
View Quote
Do you often talk to people by keeping your back to them?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:37:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Stupid cops.

Guy looked like the typical ''walking in snow'' person. Did the cops cite all the house owners who didn't have their sidewalks shoveled? [if there were sidewalks]

If they didn't, and there were sidewalks then I'd consider the cops were under the influence of ''RMA.'' They HAD to know why the guy was walking in the tire tracks and if he wasn't actually impeding traffic, what was the big deal?
View Quote

The T-shirt in cold weather can be a factor in citing someone for public intoxication. You see “not dressed appropriate for the cold weather” all the time in those citations, at least locally, this time of year. My guess without looking at the video is that LE sees or gets a call about a guy in a T-shirt out on the street in the cold and they wonder if it’s a render aid or PI situation. So they make contact and the situation then escalates because one or both sides of the equation get chippy and make poor decisions.

But what I can almost certainly guarantee you is that the guy wasn’t arrested for wearing a T-shirt in the snow. He was arrested because of what went down during the citizen/LEO exchange. I hate misleading thread titles.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:38:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

They didn't even mention the street until well into the harassment and after he had already gotten out of it.  He then apologized.   He did say he was all set, he was walking home, and he didn't want to talk to them anymore.  Did you even watch the video?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:39:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Do you often talk to people by keeping your back to them?
View Quote

People that I don't want to talk to and are continuing to harass me?   Yes.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:40:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

How was he being a dick?
View Quote
Stop, turn around and address the person. It wasn't like the kid was on his way to say the planet.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:40:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unreal.

Nope.
Being polite will get you a long way in this world.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:41:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I let them walk around in the cold. Wait long enough and one way or another it won’t be anyone’s problem anymore. Don’t want to ID? Cool Ill be back when you get hit by a car or freeze to death. We can get prints off a frozen corpse pretty easy or the hospital tag will have his info. If he makes it home, awesome.
View Quote

You “let” people walk around in the cold?  Well no fucking shit you do, this is a free country and you’re not their mom.

“Let”. Pfft. GTFO.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:42:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Stop, turn around and address the person. It wasn't like the kid was on his way to say the planet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How was he being a dick?

It seems your hangup is how he addressed the police. So that justifies harrassing him, tackling him and arresting him on BS charges that the chief has to walk back later? He didn't respect their authority so he got what was coming to him?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:43:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I get what you're saying, and attitude rarely helps, but you could replace wearing a T-shirt with any Karen type complaint that you like to justify an interaction. Wearing a T-shirt is a pretty weak reason to justify stopping someone.
View Quote
It was well below freezing. That might be t-shirt weather in the rest of the country but damn sure isn't in North Texas. Its not a Karen type comment.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:43:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It seems your hangup is how he addressed the police. So that justifies harrassing him, tackling him and arresting him on BS charges that the chief has to walk back later? He didn't respect their authority so he got what was coming to him?
View Quote

Worship mah badge!
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:43:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Cliff notes:

Dude was walking down the middle of the street.
View Quote

This was covered in the video, and as a Northerner I can confirm.  After a snowstorm, when the streets are plowed and the sidewalks haven't been shoveled, you walk in the street.  Because there's really no other option.  Not sure why anyone would think this was a big deal unless they were looking for any excuse to defend cops.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:44:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

^^^^ This..................
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:45:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know, it's his fault all this happened, right?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:45:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You guys would be better suited living over in the UK. You give freedom loving Americans a bad name.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:46:12 AM EDT
[#30]
"We just trying to figure our where you going."

How about fuck you, leave me alone.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:47:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm saying he did not help himself out.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:48:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unreal.

You are correct, the cops should have been much less confrontational. They are the dicks in this story.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:48:21 AM EDT
[#33]

Good, fire them next.  I work for a big company and if I bring negative publicity to my employer, even if it's not work related or I didn't violate a policy, I get fired.  Police officers need to possess good judgement, these two had terrible.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:48:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why does he need to help himself out?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:49:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:50:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
"We just trying to figure our where you going."

How about fuck you, leave me alone.
View Quote
How about "Why?"
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:50:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:51:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
Perhaps he should have whipped his dick out and started pissing on them to establish dominance?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:51:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
He was in no danger, there was no justification for a stop. The cops violated his rights
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't get the outrage here. A person walking out in at or near record cold in north Texas with a T-shirt on will get talked to. he had rolled back the attitude he would have gone home.
He was in no danger, there was no justification for a stop. The cops violated his rights
But, but but... he had an attitude.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:51:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

You “let” people walk around in the cold?  Well no fucking shit you do, this is a free country and you’re not their mom.

“Let”. Pfft. GTFO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I let them walk around in the cold. Wait long enough and one way or another it won’t be anyone’s problem anymore. Don’t want to ID? Cool Ill be back when you get hit by a car or freeze to death. We can get prints off a frozen corpse pretty easy or the hospital tag will have his info. If he makes it home, awesome.

“Let”. Pfft. GTFO.

Maybe switch to decaf.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:51:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:52:42 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Perhaps he should have whipped his dick out and started pissing on them to establish dominance?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would be a crime. He committed no crime. What crime was being investigated by the police?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:53:08 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

They didn't even mention the street until well into the harassment and after he had already gotten out of it.  He then apologized.   He did say he was all set, he was walking home, and he didn't want to talk to them anymore.  Did you even watch the video?
View Quote

I did. Apologizing for doing something does not erase that something from happening. You said he wasn't breaking any laws. It appears he may have. In which case they (the police) can detain and ID him.

I am NOT saying that would be the best course of action, but I am saying it is legal to do so and refusing to stop when ordered to do so.

I wonder if those particular cops will ever check on someone walking in the street in the snow wearing a T shirt in 10 degree Texas again.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:53:14 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
"Uppity"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
But, but but... he had an attitude.
"Uppity"

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:53:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Apparently in the Navy they used to have a punishment called Bread and Water. Basically you were locked in a cell and only given bread and water, as much as you could eat for three days. No permanent harm done, just a few unpleasant shits and boredom.

That should be the punishment for officers who violate citizens' rights like this. I don't want million dollar lawsuits paid out by the taxpayers. Just smack the officers on the nose, and shit like this will stop quick.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:53:38 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
"Hey man it's pretty cold out to be walking in just a t-shirt, are you ok? Would you like a ride?"
View Quote
Mine's better. "Central, we're at the location. There's nobody here. Mark it 90-X."
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:53:40 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perhaps they should have left him alone. I hope the kid’s lawsuit judgement includes the firing & shaming of the officers, as well.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:53:45 AM EDT
[#48]
Never talk to the police.  I thought was the rule.  

I’m find can I go?

I’m fine can I go?

Stand there for 5 minutes in silence.

I’m fine can I go?

Myself I’d probably have just stopped an talked to them but I understand why people wouldn’t want to and for the most part they do t have to talk.  Cops aren’t you friends.  It would be annoying. They like to try to be but assume they are always investing.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:54:19 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

You guys would be better suited living over in the UK. You give freedom loving Americans a bad name.
View Quote

Cry me a river, yankee girl...................
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:54:37 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top