Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/16/2020 10:10:41 PM EDT
Planning to start a shed build.  Local code says no permit needed for 120sqft and under.  I am looking to do a 10x10x8 in the corner of my backyard.  I checked out the prefab ones from Homedepot and was not impressed for almost a grand....

I am planning to build my own for about the same price but much stronger.

Where I plan to build it currently has a stump in the way of where I wish to put the back most corner. That will be first to remove for area prep.

What I am thinking is, sinking 4x4 in concrete at each corner and attaching the floor to the 4x4 post; using a 2x4 frame. This would help me get the shed level as my ground wouldnt make sense to level with dirt vs the surrounding ground...

Framing the walls with 2x4's covering walls in siding; roof will be OSB covered in asphalt type tiles

I do not plan on power or anything like that..

You DIY guys think this can be done for a thousand dollars?  Anyone have an idea how to figure out how many of what lumber I will need?

I do have power tools and nail guns.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 10:31:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I built a couple 198 sqft sheds on the previous property ( 200 sqft is the permit threshold )

Concrete pier block and pressure treated 8' 4x6. Dug the blocks down into the dirt and leveled them so everything was the same elevation to start.

I didnt want to concrete them in a it wasnt going to be permanent. Hindsight being 20/20 I should have ran the beams length wise to allow for moving it easily- skid it or load on a trailer.

Stolen pic, way too many blocks, but there are no beams allowing for a lower floor.

Other style of pier block

Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:13:52 PM EDT
[#2]
For a 10’ span with only posts on the corners, go with 2” x 6” floor frame to reduce sagging. Or make a 5’ square grid of 4” x 4” posts for the foundation.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:37:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I think you're gonna be over $1K but the structure will be better and more stable in the long run. And that isn't factoring for what you value your time at.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:48:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't sink anything into concrete. That's the first place it will rot.

1st pic is close to ideal, I've done this many times. You should pour footings and wet set Simpson PBS44 post bases to accommodate 4x6 beams around the perimeter and hang 2x6 joists with LUS26 Simpson hangers. All of this should be pressure treated.

This is the most important part, and it's not easy. You need to use sonotube forms and make sure your forms are level.

After the floor is done the rest is easy.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 12:24:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Anyone have an idea how to figure out how many of what lumber I will need?

I do have power tools and nail guns.
View Quote
Quick sketch and a beer or 2 later, home depot.com prices

10' 2x6 floor system - 2 rim joist/9 joists on 16" layout and 4ish sheets  of 23/32" T&G OSB  = $138.03

2 side walls with 22- 2x4x8' studs ( Cali corners on both ends) on 16" layout and 6-10' plates =  $77.24 ( thats the total for 2 walls with 11 studs EACH)

1 back wall with 9 - 2x4x8' studs and 3 -10' plates = $33.72

1 wall with a header for a 36" door made out of a 2x4 box beam - 10-2x4x8' and 5-10' plates (chop up a plate for header and cripples above door) = $43.95

12'x12'  2x6 "shedroof" on 2' centers (no side overhang , add some 2x4s for barge/fascia/outriggers)  6- 2x6x12' rafters and 5 4x8 sheets of 1/2" OSB =   $92.69

10 4x8 sheets of 7/16" OSB for the walls = $104.50

or use 10 4x8 LP siding panels = $329.80

Still leaves the roofing material/door/foundation to figure out , but the basic framing is $489/$714 "sided" with LP panels.

Id cut the back wall 6" lower and , rake the 2 side walls, buy some 12' sheet metal roofing and go with a simple shed roof versus a gable roof just to simply the build.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 12:30:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Building the floor level is essential. But do you know how to make it square ? If the floor isn't square the shed will fight you all the way through. The easiest way to square it up will be taking diagonal measurements from opposite corners. The two distances should be equal otherwise you end up with a parallelogram.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 12:35:57 AM EDT
[#7]
As far as figuring out what you need? You just sit down and build it in your mind and on paper. Start with your piers. How much concrete per pier/how many piers? Next you’d be putting the joists so what spacing do you want vs the 10’ Dimension gives how many of them.  Basically take each stage and tally how many of what dimension.  When your done you’ve got your bill of materials.

If you break down each aspect properly it can help you notice where you miss something.  For example. Your doing a 10x10 shed.  Will the sheets of plywood for your floor be sufficient given your chosen joist spacing vs wastage?  If your permit limit is 120’sq ft why not design for 119 sq ft? :)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top