Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2022 11:00:21 AM EDT
I'm fairly new to pipe smoking.  I've done it off and on for 20 years, smoking Half & Half or other commercial tobacco.  

I bought a few blends from pipesandcigars.com and some taste like soap.  Am I better off sticking to H&H or Cherokee from the convenience store?
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 11:54:26 AM EDT
[#1]
What P&C blends did you get?

Some aromatic blends smell amazing but taste like crap.

Link Posted: 1/22/2022 12:00:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Peter Stokkebye 80 Norwegian Blend

Sutliff Heavy English

Larry's Blend Bulk

Anniversary Kake Bulk

Newminster No. 400 Superior Navy Flake

Sutliff Vanilla Custard

Larry's and the Heavy English taste like soap, but also seem too wet.  I can't keep them lit, so I'm letting them dry before trying the rest.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 4:19:30 PM EDT
[#3]
My go to is Blue Note by Sutliff.  Mild aromatic with a good room note so the wife doesn't complain.

I also like Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake.  I keep that and Blue Note around most all of the time.  

You may want to also look at some VaPers.  Escudo or Bayou Morning by C&D are go-to.  

If you are still experimenting you may want to buy a bundle of cheap seconds from Missouri Meerschaum to test different tobaccos.  I keep a few (dozen) around especially in the garage and in the car since they are not so precious if one gets damaged.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 8:14:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm fairly new to pipe smoking.  I've done it off and on for 20 years, smoking Half & Half or other commercial tobacco.  

I bought a few blends from pipesandcigars.com and some taste like soap.  Am I better off sticking to H&H or Cherokee from the convenience store?
View Quote

What flavors are you after? More on the pure tobacco side, more smoky like a campfire, or artificial flavored? A good Burley blend is probably close to the Cherokee you’ve smoked, Cornell and Diehl Big n Burley is a good one that I enjoy. If your anywhere near Gwinnett, I’ve got a ton of Virginia, English, Periques and Burleys your welcome to sample. I try to avoid anything with flavored casings.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top