Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2023 4:30:41 PM EDT
I inherited my father's small collection of pipes many years ago when he passed.  My father wasn't a very talktative guy so I have no background on the pipes but one has to have been my grandfathers as it has his initials on the stem.  Cool!

Anyhow, a few years ago I had them refurbed/cleaned up and bought some tobacco.  I smoke them very rarely but I enjoy them when I do. I may light one up tonight and it got me thinking about a pipe lighter.

Worth it or just stick with matches?  Matches can be a pain to keep going outside where I smoke.  If worth it, have any suggestions?

pic of pipes b/c arfcom!

Link Posted: 5/12/2023 4:58:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Ask hunter
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 5:05:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Just get a good refillable lighter because you'll burn through bics.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 5:22:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ask hunter
View Quote

Who is hunter?  I may be missing something lol.

I was thinking a nice-ish lighter, something more than a cheapy disposable.  I know cigar folks say certain lighters are no-go b/c of flavor I guess i figured same may apply here.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 5:23:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Just get a good refillable lighter because you'll burn through bics.
View Quote

so it doesnt really matter what kind or type of fuel?  i have a "torch" type lighter for cigars but didnt think that would translate well to pipes, maybe i'm wrong?
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 9:12:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah,  a torch may burn the wood.  I just don't like to taste zippo fuel when I light a bowl.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 11:01:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I use an Old Boy. Made in Japan, fuel efficient, properly setup to light pipes.

Attachment Attached File

https://www.pipesandcigars.com/mobile/p/im-corona-old-boy-pipe-lighter/2008693/
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 7:52:48 AM EDT
[#7]

that's a nice option, thanks!
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 8:43:25 AM EDT
[#8]
The IM Corona Old Boy tends to be the pipe lighter gold standard. There are cheap Chinese clones of them now on ebay and Amazon. The clones work well, but their longevity is doubtful. Maybe buy a clone for now, then if you like the form/function of it, invest in the Old Boy down the road?
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 10:28:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Dissim inverted lighter
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 3:15:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Vertigo Puffer, Amazon has them for like $18

Even has some simple pipe tools built in
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 8:45:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The IM Corona Old Boy tends to be the pipe lighter gold standard. There are cheap Chinese clones of them now on ebay and Amazon. The clones work well, but their longevity is doubtful. Maybe buy a clone for now, then if you like the form/function of it, invest in the Old Boy down the road?
View Quote

this might be a good idea, will check them out!
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 8:46:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Dissim inverted lighter
View Quote

that thing looks pretty cool, will check prices.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 8:55:15 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm going to go with suggestion from Parke1 for now then maybe ask for a ncie one as a gift at Christmas orsomething.  Trying this cheap one for now: Urgrette Lighter
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top