Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2022 2:26:13 PM EDT
Good afternoon.
I have always wondered why personnel/passengers on an aircraft are referred to as "Souls".
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 2:43:11 PM EDT
[#1]
It goes back hundreds of years to maritime terminology.  Can't really tell you more than that.

"Souls on board" is not anywhere in any of ICAO or FAA terminology for pilots, air traffic controllers, etc.....not that I remember at least.  Everything is "persons on board", "number aboard", etc--no reference to the words "souls."
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 3:02:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Aircraft (trains and ships) occasionally will transport corpses- usually in a casket or other container.

"Souls" refer to the LIVING people aboard and are mentioned that way so rescuers know the number of (hopefully) living people that need rescue.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 3:30:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Spent 20 years as an AF navigator.  First in flight emergency in the T-29 trainer, declaring an emergency landing, the pilot stated "# of Souls on Board".  Was rather sobering to hear that.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 4:11:13 PM EDT
[#4]
"Souls on board" is quick to say and easily heard/understood over the radio.  Radio communications in aircraft (particularly non-airline) can be noisy, although less so nowadays, and hard to understand.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 4:43:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Spent 20 years as an AF navigator.  First in flight emergency in the T-29 trainer, declaring an emergency landing, the pilot stated "# of Souls on Board".  Was rather sobering to hear that.
View Quote

It’s really sobering when you’re the meatbag saying it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 11:16:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Aircraft (trains and ships) occasionally will transport corpses- usually in a casket or other container.

"Souls" refer to the LIVING people aboard and are mentioned that way so rescuers know the number of (hopefully) living people that need rescue.
View Quote

This is how I understood it as well. Could have fresh dead on board and need to know the number that were casualties. Not that big of a deal if you're in an RV8, but if you're flying a C130 out of a warzone, it could be completely different.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 12:34:10 PM EDT
[#7]
It also provides a way to differentiate normal people from any gingers who might be on board.   Or so I'm told.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 3:17:58 AM EDT
[#8]
50 odd years ago I stepped into my first USAF fire station.  Shortly there after and inflight emergency was announced.  Now when they blow the horn (horn for aircraft, bells for everything else) they announce the type of aircraft, emergency, SOB's and other pertinent info.

I looked at Tech Seargent Bridges and he just sort of chuckled and explained that it meant "Souls on Board".  Now, not that big of deal on a Phantom, unless of course the rear seater had already punched out, but if it were something like a C-141 it was significant.

For the next five years I heard that term almost every shift.  With aircraft from civilian sail planes to BUFF'S.  And everytime I made darned sure I paid attention to that information.  Heck, it was really more important that things like external fuel and weapons loads.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top