Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/29/2023 8:34:45 PM EDT
I decided to finally petition the Scottish Rite in 2024 so I was looking up information. Back in the day when Dad joined you had to get a paper petition and fill it out and mail it in. Today you can do it online so I went that route. The speed at which they responded was scary fast. If everything goes well I'll attend the Reunion in March. Dad really enjoyed the degrees and I always wanted to join but never got around to it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 2:16:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Congradulations!  
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 9:21:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ButchA61] [#2]
I wish you the best of luck with becoming a 32° Scottish Rite Mason!
A few of us younger Brethren from my own lodge, petitioned the Scottish Rite Valley here in town.  We all went through the ceremony, etc... and became 32° Scottish Rite Masons.  It was amazing and really opened your eyes.  It was an experience that I will never forget!

But.. With all that said in a wonderous, caring, Masonic tone....  You have to be aware of "age factor" within the Scottish Rite -- the average age is around 72 yrs old.  80% of those old guys aren't going to know you from Adam.  Only members of your own Blue Lodge will know you.  It takes quite some time to get acclimated to that type of realm, I guess you could say.

Not being all nasty or un-Masonic (especially as a Past Master - 2015), but I sensed a lot of hoity toity, upper-crust, arrogance, within the Scottish Rite Valley.  "Who are you?" "What are you doing here?" type of (unspoken) attitudes were sensed immediately.  Within about 8 months, 10 months, 1 year later.... I had enough.  I am sorry my Brothers.  But I chose to Demit from the Scottish Rite.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 9:52:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 12:21:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ButchA61:
I wish you the best of luck with becoming a 32  Scottish Rite Mason!
A few of us younger Brethren from my own lodge, petitioned the Scottish Rite Valley here in town.  We all went through the ceremony, etc... and became 32  Scottish Rite Masons.  It was amazing and really opened your eyes.  It was an experience that I will never forget!

But.. With all that said in a wonderous, caring, Masonic tone....  You have to be aware of "age factor" within the Scottish Rite -- the average age is around 72 yrs old.  80% of those old guys aren't going to know you from Adam.  Only members of your own Blue Lodge will know you.  It takes quite some time to get acclimated to that type of realm, I guess you could say.

Not being all nasty or un-Masonic (especially as a Past Master - 2015), but I sensed a lot of hoity toity, upper-crust, arrogance, within the Scottish Rite Valley.  "Who are you?" "What are you doing here?" type of (unspoken) attitudes were sensed immediately.  Within about 8 months, 10 months, 1 year later.... I had enough.  I am sorry my Brothers.  But I chose to Demit from the Scottish Rite.
View Quote
Oh I have a built in defense to that since I stutter. When I answer it makes everyone "uneasy" for a moment before they figure it out. Not that I've used that to my advantage at times LOL.

I'm good with much older than me because most of the members of the lodge when I was young and super active were much older. Of course most had known me or of me my whole life and were a very happy to see me go through. I don't remember Dad going to but one meeting after he got his but then we raised tobacco and he worked 2nd shift back then. I was raised in 1994 but we were demitted out for several years. We got back in 2 years ago with every intention of going regularly but Dad was pretty worn out by mid afternoon so we didn't make it.  He was a lot sicker than any of us knew and passed this June. My New Year's Resolution is attend regularly and get my Scottish Rite, might get the York rite too, and then at some point top it off with the Shrine. Dad had his Blue lodge, 32nd, and Shrine and I want to see what he saw in a fashion.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 8:52:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Congratulations! The Scottish Rite is my favorite we have a beautiful temple and I love being in a building with so much history. I mean Harry S Truman was in our temple. His petition is in our library. I also like that my wife can attend the dinner meeting and we look forward to some time out every month
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 12:44:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Spiffums:
Oh I have a built in defense to that since I stutter. When I answer it makes everyone "uneasy" for a moment before they figure it out. Not that I've used that to my advantage at times LOL.

I'm good with much older than me because most of the members of the lodge when I was young and super active were much older. Of course most had known me or of me my whole life and were a very happy to see me go through. I don't remember Dad going to but one meeting after he got his but then we raised tobacco and he worked 2nd shift back then. I was raised in 1994 but we were demitted out for several years. We got back in 2 years ago with every intention of going regularly but Dad was pretty worn out by mid afternoon so we didn't make it.  He was a lot sicker than any of us knew and passed this June. My New Year's Resolution is attend regularly and get my Scottish Rite, might get the York rite too, and then at some point top it off with the Shrine. Dad had his Blue lodge, 32nd, and Shrine and I want to see what he saw in a fashion.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ButchA61:
I wish you the best of luck with becoming a 32  Scottish Rite Mason!
A few of us younger Brethren from my own lodge, petitioned the Scottish Rite Valley here in town.  We all went through the ceremony, etc... and became 32  Scottish Rite Masons.  It was amazing and really opened your eyes.  It was an experience that I will never forget!

Which section of Tennessee? I see a memory about raising tobacco in Tennessee in the 90s and I get a little nostalgic. That was my first job, grading, setting, etc.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 2:47:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Ironically I cam to this sub forum to see about this I was just digging through my grandpas old stuff and all of his Scottish Rite stuff is there.   He was a 32nd degree and has some memorable stuff.  Super old school like back in the 40's.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 1:35:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By AR15thur:

Which section of Tennessee? I see a memory about raising tobacco in Tennessee in the 90s and I get a little nostalgic. That was my first job, grading, setting, etc.
View Quote
@AR15thur
East Tennessee. Did Day 1 yesterday still processing the firehose of information.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 6:29:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 10:06:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By medicmandan:

The Master Craftsman Ritual and History course is great to help you digest those.

https://www.mastercraftsmancollege.org/courses
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By medicmandan:
@AR15thur
East Tennessee. Did Day 1 yesterday still processing the firehose of information.

The Master Craftsman Ritual and History course is great to help you digest those.

https://www.mastercraftsmancollege.org/courses
Yeah they told us if we sign up after the degrees it's cheaper and you save shipping on the book(s) if  you buy them at the temple.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 1:11:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I now officially know the Royal Secret.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 1:40:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 3:40:57 PM EDT
[#13]
@AR15thur
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AR15thur:

@AR15thur

Just now saw this after we actually met at day 2! Yeah it’s a bunch. It’s one reason I try to make it out to the reunions to see the degrees and see what I pick up on each time. (Or what you might see, I stepped out to call my wife and a PGM and current SGIG were setting up for a cigar smoking session. We chatted for a minute about which side of Tennessee was better).

Great to meet you, hard to find a lot of time talk much on such a busy day but hope to talk again in the near future.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top