Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2023 12:09:46 PM EDT
I've never had pet insurance and we've been lucky.

I'm terrified of my dog eating something or getting injured and needing surgery. I hear it's really expensive, like a couple grand.

How does pet insurance work and how easy are companies to work with to file a claim after surgery?

We don't have any immediate problems, this would just be insurance.

Any recommended companies in Colorado?
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 12:19:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Lemonade was the cheapest we found for our Frenchie. I think the more expensive ones covered regular visits and things like the spaying whereas this is for big items only.

I'm debating cancelling it and just putting the money into a savings account. $50/month adds up and I wouldn't spend more than a couple grand to save her anyways. Especially when it's more likely to be an issue after we've been paying for 6 years. Great, the bill is $5k, they pay 80%, and I've paid $3k already. Did I really win?
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 1:23:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Trupanion has been good to me.  Had a few big claims and they dumped the cash into my bank account in a matter of days.  Really good customer service.

Link Posted: 9/16/2023 1:57:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By rainmaker9:

I'm terrified of my dog eating something or getting injured and needing surgery. I hear it's really expensive, like a couple grand.

How does pet insurance work and how easy are companies to work with to file a claim after surgery?

View Quote
Nationwide
I get it as a work benefit
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 7:41:19 AM EDT
[#4]
The way Trupanion works is, first, pre existing conditions are excluded.  After that, you set your own deductible.  The higher the deductible, the lower the monthly premium.  After you meet the deductible for any one condition, then they pay 90% of all subsequent claims or medication for that condition for the life of the dog.

Claims are submitted on line along with supporting documentation.  They immediately acknowledge receipt of claim, sometimes they call the vet, and usually they directly credit my checking account within a few days.

My dog has had a couple of issues, one of which required a CT scan, which they paid for.  Last time I did the math, I had recovered about as much in benefits as I had paid in over the years.   So it has been break even.  However, it's nice to know that if I do have a problem, I can make a decision regarding what's best for the dog instead of "is she worth the money."

Link Posted: 9/17/2023 8:10:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By rainmaker9:

View Quote

Only a couple?

Knee surgery for one of mine was $4,500.
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 10:28:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I've used Healthy Paws, Trupanion, and am currently with Pets Best. I've heard good things about Nationwide, but have no personal experience. Healthy Paws was the fastest to pay claims. I don't believe I ever filed a claim while with Trupanion. Pets Best is for sure the slowest to process claims, but everything else checks the boxes. I wanted a 90/10 policy on my dog (working GSD) and I think Pets Best is the only one of the three mentioned to still offer that. I currently pay about $42/mo. for a 90/10 policy with a $250 deductible.
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 11:24:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I went with trupanion for my gsd.  I think I went with them because I got tired of looking at all of the options and just finally picked one that seemed to have the best customer service and covered breed specific issues.  

I got insurance on this dog because of how much I spent on my last two bostons.  One had two mast cell tumors removed at different times and the other had cushings so their vet bills really added up over the years.
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 9:36:14 PM EDT
[#8]
For me it was a toss up between progressive, Lemonaid, and Animalia for our Great Dane. Ultimately, we chose Animalia as they had the best rates and the most items covered. Trupanion quote was almost double everything else.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 10:35:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By LibertyShip:
Trupanion has been good to me.  Had a few big claims and they dumped the cash into my bank account in a matter of days.  Really good customer service.
View Quote

Concur. I got my Trupanion via Veterans Affairs for a real Service Dog. They pay claims for all prescriptions and Office visits immediately. GTG
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top