Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2024 4:10:01 PM EDT
I have a buddy who lives all alone.  He could really use a dog for companionship.  He lives in Arizona so it gets hot outside - he keeps the inside temperate.  He works four ten hour days a week.  His home is in the middle of a fenced three acre lot.

He thinks that it would not work to have a dog and lock it in all day.

I think he should install a dog door and let the lad come and go as he needs to.

One specific question:  How likely is it that other animals will get in the house through the pet door?

Generally I welcome suggestions on the situation and solutions.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 4:13:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 5:53:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jsg7162] [#2]
We have 3 dogs and two cats. We have  had a regular dog door for 9 years. 3/4 acre wooded lot.  No issues at all for me. I have had one mouse come in the door. It was a bad choice for the mouse. Now the dog's and cats have brought many presents in the house including squirrels. The husky mix dropped a squirrel in the wifes lap when she was sleeping.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 6:15:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Where I live I have 1K acres of forest behind me.  I have a 'doggie' door for my dog.  I have coyotes, deer, moose, turkeys, skunks, squirrels and chickmunks that I've seen on my property, never has anything tried to use my doggie door except my dog.

This is the door I use.  They make a number of doors for different applications.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 8:39:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Fox:
RFID doors.
View Quote

This

My son has an RFID door and it’s slick!  It’s worth the $$$$.  It acts fast and opens/closes promptly.  Was visiting with our dog.  Our dog got locked out a coupl of time ‘cause she wasn’t quick/close enough.  Ain’t no vermin coming in the house unless it’s smelling your pets butt
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 10:04:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 50-140:
Where I live I have 1K acres of forest behind me.  I have a 'doggie' door for my dog.  I have coyotes, deer, moose, turkeys, skunks, squirrels and chickmunks that I've seen on my property, never has anything tried to use my doggie door except my dog.

This is the door I use.  They make a number of doors for different applications.
View Quote

Interesting.

I've had neighbor's cat, raccoons, and even an armadillo use my dog door.  I live in Houston.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top