Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2020 1:49:57 PM EDT
I got to try a 15W Peavey Vypyr modeling amp. It's cool that it has so many sounds' effects, and variations available. But it's still a puny, cheap, solid state amp, and no matter how you spin the knobs, that's what it sounds like.

If my favorite model is the Brit, does that mean I need a Vox AC15 or 30? I've never tried those. I've used Fenders for years, and recently found joy in a Roland JC.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 4:51:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one of the Vyper 15 watt amps and it does sound puny through

the 8 inch speaker. It sounds better through my mixer board piped into

a stereo amp. Someday I'll put a jack on it so I can plug a better cabinet into it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 10:15:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I had a first generation 15 watt Peavey Vypyr for years. Did it sound like my regular amps? No, but for what it was, it sounded great. Ended up giving it to a friends daughter who was interested in playing. She's still using it.

But recently, my niece got interested in guitar (she's been playing woodwinds for a few years now). So I took the guitar I am giving her to try out practice amps. Guess what? The Peavey Vypyr VIP2 won over the other stuff. The VIP line does sound better. Does it still sound like a cheap modeling amp? Yeah. But out of all the ones I tried, with one exception, it sounded best. And I tried all the major brands.

What was that exception? A Blackstar ID:30 TVP. I didn't go with it because it's heavier and doesn't have a midrange control. The 60 has a midrange control, but it's even heavier. Blackstar's ID:Core amps sound like ass, but the TVPs sound great. Still not quite like tubes, but still pretty damn good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top