BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 7/4/2022 10:02:38 PM EDT
Camping trip planned next weekend
Us and another couple, we both have three kids under 10
I suggested steaks the first night and hot dogs for the kids. Burgers for everyone second night

Apparently that struck a nerve with the other mom, “kids should eat what the adults eat.”
Okay, but $25 worth of ribeyes and $3 worth of hotdogs per family or $60 worth of ribeyes.

My kids love steak, I’m just not sure they’d appreciate it on a camping trip. Am I the asshole? Is it weird for adults to have an occasional fancier meal?

ETA:

Met in the middle. Ribeyes for mom and dad, sirloins for kids. We’ll see what the other folks do
Thanks guys for the feedback

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 10:03:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't see a problem. Not all my kids even like steak.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 10:03:55 PM EDT
[#2]
My 8 yo loves steak.  He also loves hotdogs.    ????
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 10:04:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Kids get hotdogs
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 10:04:58 PM EDT
[#4]
How big are other mom’s boobies?
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 10:05:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Will the kids eat steak? If yes, I'd eat what the kids are eating. If steaks are too expensive, then everybody gets hotdogs. My parents never got special meals the kids didn't get (aside from booze).
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 10:05:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Get em chop steaks
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 10:05:55 PM EDT
[#7]
How about pork chops or brats for everyone on the first night?
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 10:06:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Guess other mom gets hotdogs now
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 10:07:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Guess other mom gets hotdogs now
View Quote
lol!
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 10:07:20 PM EDT
[#10]
No that happens on occasion. My boy likes hot dogs and turns his nose at ribeye. *shrug*
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 10:07:32 PM EDT
[#11]
My kids eat what we eat... That's just weird.... That being said offer both and hope they pick steak over processed shit in a tube?.. And YES my kids eat hot dogs... they are still shit compared to REAL food....
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 10:07:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Kids love cooking hotdogs with a stick on a camp fire. That will be a memory they remember for a lifetime. They won’t remember the $20 steak that dad cooked.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 10:08:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd ask the kids what they wanted. I don't ever remember my parents making us eat beggars food while they lived it up.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 10:08:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I don't see a problem. Not all my kids even like steak.
View Quote

My kid would rather have the hot dog.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 10:08:26 PM EDT
[#15]
When I was a kid, I couldnt tell you the difference between a ribeye and a salsberry steak.  To be honest, at that age, I probably would have preferred the salisbury.

I say kids eat whatever the fuck the adults tell them to.  If somebody wants to cook their 8yr old a $20 porterhouse well done and let the kid smear it with ketchup, thats their decision.  But not something I'd ever do.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 10:09:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Filet for your family, fuck the rest of them.    Or Alpo chill.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 10:09:02 PM EDT
[#17]
My kids love steak as much as I do. Teaching them to have adult palates while other kids eat chicken fingers 24/7 is priceless. Hell my 6 year old loves raw oysters; other adults are always amazed.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 10:09:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
How big are other mom’s boobies?
View Quote

Super huge
Like back problems huge

Really big
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 10:09:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I suggested steaks the first night and hot dogs for the kids. Burgers for everyone second night

Apparently that struck a nerve with the other mom, “kids should eat what the adults eat.”
Okay, but $25 worth of ribeyes and $3 worth of hotdogs per family or $60 worth of ribeyes.

My kids love steak, I’m just not sure they’d appreciate it on a camping trip. Am I the asshole? Is it weird for adults to have an occasional fancier meal?
View Quote

Meh get yourself a ribeye. Everyone else gets sirloin.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 10:09:45 PM EDT
[#20]
At under 10 my kids would have preferred hot dogs.
Also easier to cook just the amount of food they would eat and not waste a lot.
Kids may not be hungry or may be very hungry. Easy and fast to cook another hot dog but expensive to waste a good steak.
Give them a little steak with their hot dogs.

Now at age 20+ it's steak and a hot dog chaser.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 10:09:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Kids eat what parents eat unless it's too spicy or inconvenient to do so. Spicy meal night kids eat leftovers. Steak at a campout could go either way.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 10:10:03 PM EDT
[#22]
My kids won’t touch steak but eat soy hotdogs like no other meal.

Depends on the age of the kids. 8 and under ok with hotdogs. 10 and up offer them adult food.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 10:12:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'd ask the kids what they wanted. I don't ever remember my parents making us eat beggars food while they lived it up.
View Quote

This.   Ask them.  

My daughter would choose the hot dog on a stick (camping skewer) over a steak.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 10:12:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Super huge
Like back problems huge

Really big
View Quote

She’s probably not guilty, but…
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 10:12:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Only if the kids eat steak..... and can appreciate it. If they cant  tell the diff and would eat a hotdog with no care in the world? Get them hotdogs. Get the good ones tho.

Link Posted: 7/4/2022 10:12:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Hot Dogs ARE steak. TUBE STEAK.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 10:13:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Tell the other mom to stop being a fucking libtard and pay for her own food. Kid usually prefer hot dogs and mac and cheese anyway.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 10:14:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Super huge
Like back problems huge

Really big
View Quote

Hmmm... This makes me suspicious that she might have a really big gut to match... OP's lack of photos is likely proof of a giant gut.

Post pics to prove me wrong.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 10:15:44 PM EDT
[#29]
I'd have a steak to cut up for the kids in case they did want it, and so they don't grow up to be picky eaters.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 10:15:46 PM EDT
[#30]
give the kids the cheap meat, they probley like it more any way
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 10:16:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Seems reasonable to me.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 10:17:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Is there not a compromise in the middle?

Ribeye vs ground up buttholes? Steak tips for the kids. I know they're not $3. But I imagine you can splurge and cover the difference. I love ribeyes personally, but they're not really a kid cut generally speaking.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 10:17:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Kids eat the same as the parents IF it's a matter of them being picky eaters. Don't put up with that.

If it's a matter of meat they probably don't appreciate or a situation like this where there's a significant price difference, I see no problem.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 10:18:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 10:18:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Kids love cooking hotdogs with a stick on a camp fire. That will be a memory they remember for a lifetime. They won’t remember the $20 steak that dad cooked.
View Quote

This, it's a camping trip, not a fine dining experience. I'm a couple decades past my Boy Scout years now and while I very rarely eat hot dogs I still enjoy sticking a brat or quality sausage on a stick and cooking it over a fire sometimes.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 10:19:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Will the kids eat steak? If yes, I'd eat what the kids are eating. If steaks are too expensive, then everybody gets hotdogs. My parents never got special meals the kids didn't get (aside from booze).
View Quote

This

OP cooking mouth watering steak on camp fire which I know smells so good cooking and then giving the kids hot dogs

That just ain't right
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 10:19:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Preteen kids can eat hot dogs. I'm not cooking a steak for my 7 year old to decide she suddenly isn't hungry.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 10:19:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Don’t know.

Time to choose a different park.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 10:19:52 PM EDT
[#39]
I would give my kids steak too, but they.are 5, 3, & 3… I can cut up half a steak and give it to all 3, wife eats other half and I get a full one
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 10:20:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Everyone gets hotdogs and not beef kind. The hotdogs will be cheapest mechanically separated pork and chicken dogs available. I’d be sure to let everyone know Karen was behind the menu change.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 10:21:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Meet in the middle and get a flank steak or two. Cut into 1”x1” strips and marinade in Kikkoman soy sauce, some crushed garlic (or garlic powder), a pinch of sugar. A little black pepper if you want but I do not consider it a good addition. Let set for maybe 30 to 40 minutes. Wet all sides of the beef but avoid drenching, you’ll just make it too salty.

I’ve been doing this as an appetizer when I grill and the family loves it.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 10:21:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Fine then everyone gets hot dogs.  

This is why we don't vacation with other people.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 10:22:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

You articulated it better than I
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 10:22:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Okay, fair
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 10:22:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
My kids love steak
View Quote

Well than yes, that makes you an asshole. If you genuinely can't afford to feed your kids the steak you're planning on having, then you should all probably have hotdogs. If you're just doing it to save money even though your kids love it, we're right back to asshole territory.

Link Posted: 7/4/2022 10:23:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Generally my kids eat what we do.  But that mom is being stupid.  Kids don’t eat as well at events like this.  It would be a waste for kids to have their own steaks.
If it is a huge issue and the moms want steak for the kids go with a cheaper cut and kids can share.  1 sirloin feeds my 3 kids.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 10:23:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

I caused my families fight with our neighbors when I was very young.
Same situation as the op. I wanted steak the fight ensued.

I voted no let the little boogers eat hot dogs. Kids would waste the steak.
Better yet cook up a few tri tips. Costco has 2 to a package for around $40 mine from the other day was $38.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 10:24:05 PM EDT
[#48]
There is a reason why the kids menu is not filet mignon.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 10:24:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Well than yes, that makes you an asshole. If you genuinely can't afford to feed your kids the steak you're planning on having, then you should all probably have hotdogs. If you're just doing it to save money even though your kids love it, we're right back to asshole territory.

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/4/2022 10:24:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top