BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 9:19:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

As I posted earlier, I have read the FEMA response plan for this event. It's not classified, but I can't share it to the public, except for mil, leo, first responders, etc and I will say there is a pretty detailed plan to respond to it, some of which I have posted earlier in fema links that give a vrry broad overview.

The only thing I think they have wrong is the amount of deaths, with projections I have seen from 25 to 300K, I think those numbers are low, assuming an 8+ quake with subsequent tsunami. I would project that 85% of those who are west of I5 when it occurs will perish and 25-35% of those east of I5 but west of the Cascades.

The Army organization I am assigned to is responsible for disaster relief logistics on a national scale for North America and this is one of many scenarios that we have studied. It keeps us up at night.
View Quote
I am glad your outfit is working on the logistics to begin to address a disaster of this magnitude.  I have read my small state's (NH) official "plan" for an earthquake and have been left extremely underwhelmed.

Neighboring Massachusetts has a much more detailed plan, but the problem is they leave the real underlying source of loss of life/property out of their plan.  The only subsurface modeling they have done for liquefaction is in a narrow strip down the center of the state.  The population is along the coast- Boston- and most of the city is built on fill and it is a liquefaction certainty in any significant earthquake scenario.  For instance, "Fenway" is derived from "Fens", which is an old word for a swamp.  The "Back Bay" of Boston is literal- it was a bay that was filled in.

New England has an earthquake history like the rest of the planet, but we appear woefully (perhaps willfully) ignorant.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 9:22:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
It could be four hundred years away or today.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
It could be four hundred years away or today.
Plus we had Mt. St. Helen's 40 years ago, that's gotta count for something.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 9:26:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

As I posted earlier, I have read the FEMA response plan for this event. It's not classified, but I can't share it to the public, except for mil, leo, first responders, etc and I will say there is a pretty detailed plan to respond to it, some of which I have posted earlier in fema links that give a vrry broad overview.

The only thing I think they have wrong is the amount of deaths, with projections I have seen from 25 to 300K, I think those numbers are low, assuming an 8+ quake with subsequent tsunami. I would project that 85% of those who are west of I5 when it occurs will perish and 25-35% of those east of I5 but west of the Cascades.

The Army organization I am assigned to is responsible for disaster relief logistics on a national scale for North America and this is one of many scenarios that we have studied. It keeps us up at night.
View Quote
Can you expand on why you think they'd be so high in those areas in Oregon?  Ground liquifaction part of that reason?  Survival after the quake with lack of resources part of those numbers?
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 9:33:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I live here....and my skin isn't so thin that I can't take some teasing about the political climate and the wishes these far left jokers were gone all of a sudden
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You should really read the thread before you get all butthurt. Paul originally was making reference to all the fuckers wishing that Portland and Seattle would slide of into the ocean...killing all the Americans living there. He even intimated they were retards for wishing so.
I live here....and my skin isn't so thin that I can't take some teasing about the political climate and the wishes these far left jokers were gone all of a sudden
He’d shit with what was said in the hometown forum, even in its PC version we have now. Guess you have to live here to understand?
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 9:48:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Can you expand on why you think they'd be so high in those areas in Oregon?  Ground liquifaction part of that reason?  Survival after the quake with lack of resources part of those numbers?
View Quote
If you look at this Link specifically on the slides addressing Operational Coordination, Critical Transportation and Infrastructure Systems. Those slides indicate the anticipated destruction of basic infrastructure, (Electrical grid, roads & bridges, and government building capable of operating as an emergency operations center, if it's shown in red on the slide, it's dead).

Then take the time to look at these Slides look at the Federal response, specifically the ISB's (Incident Response Bases) which are initial logistic response areas setup by FEMA, DHS, MIL as logistic response areas to respond to a disaster. These take a week to 10 days to establish. Yes some initial life saving and rescue can take place before then, but it would be limited in scope.

Continuing on in those slides, the Federal Government then establishes FSA's (Forward Support Area's or Federal Support Areas IIRC). Those take additional time, so by the time that you have integrated government response going door to door you're looking at 2 weeks minimum. Yes, that will have occurred earlier in more functional locales and local first responders, but it may take as long as months before every door is knocked on in the I5 corridor between Seattle WA and Medford Ore, depending on the scale of the subduction Tsunami, some of the larger scale predictions for the Cascadia Subduction magnitude 9 have it go all the way from Eureka CA to Vancouver Island BC with a tsunami wave coming inland 25 -50 miles.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 9:53:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If you look at this Link specifically on the slides addressing Operational Coordination, Critical Transportation and Infrastructure Systems. Those slides indicate the anticipated destruction of basic infrastructure, (Electrical grid, roads & bridges, and government building capable of operating as an emergency operations center, if it's shown in red on the slide, it's dead).

Then take the time to look at these Slides look at the Federal response, specifically the ISB's (Incident Response Bases) which are initial logistic response areas setup by FEMA, DHS, MIL as logistic response areas to respond to a disaster. These take a week to 10 days to establish. Yes some initial life saving and rescue can take place before then, but it would be limited in scope.

Continuing on in those slides, the Federal Government then establishes FSA's (Forward Support Area's or Federal Support Areas IIRC). Those take additional time, so by the time that you have integrated government response going door to door you're looking at 2 weeks minimum. Yes, that will have occurred earlier in more functional locales and local first responders, but it may take as long as months before every door is knocked on in the I5 corridor between Seattle WA and Medford Ore, depending on the scale of the subduction Tsunami, some of the larger scale predictions for the Cascadia Subduction magnitude 9 have it go all the way from Eureka CA to Vancouver Island BC with a tsunami wave coming inland 25 -50 miles.
View Quote
Thank you again Sir
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 10:05:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

As long as it just takes everyrhing west of I-5, I'm OK with that.
View Quote
Awesome, I’m literally a half mile east of the I5
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 10:08:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thank you again Sir
View Quote
To further clarify, we are 6 months post Hurricane Maria and 20% of PR still doesn't have electricity, and that is a microcosm of what the Cascadia Subduction 9 earthquake / Tsunami would be. It would take more than a decade to re-establish full infrastructure to the western PNW.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 10:13:41 PM EDT
[#9]
This thread is bumming me out, I need a drink. On the positive side, I have EQ insurance
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 10:29:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
To further clarify, we are 6 months post Hurricane Maria and 20% of PR still doesn't have electricity, and that is a microcosm of what the Cascadia Subduction 9 earthquake / Tsunami would be. It would take more than a decade to re-establish full infrastructure to the western PNW.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you again Sir
What will happen when the Yellowstone Supervolcano blows? I can't see much in the way of aircraft SAR support for much of western MT due to ash. It's possible ground traffic would be limited as well.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 10:38:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What will happen when the Yellowstone Supervolcano blows? I can't see much in the way of aircraft SAR support for much of western MT due to ash. It's possible ground traffic would be limited as well.
View Quote
If that caldera has a mega-eruption...it won't long matter anyway. It will put so much ash and dust into the atmosphere it will put the planet into a 'nuclear winter' type scenario and there won't be enough sunlight to grow food. Extinction level event.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 10:44:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's the plot for "Deep Winter" by Thomas Sherry, but for real. The book was written in 2007 so this has been on people's minds for a while. It wasn't a happy book.

Any discussion of the national and/or global impacts? I would have to think that a catastrophe on that scale may completely crash our economy. Between the refugees, the mountains of dead and the loss of naval bases, rail shipping and industry I could see a 30 year economic depression hitting us.

That doesn't take into account what would be happening in the Pacific, our ability to project power would be impacted because I would assume the military would be fully engaged in relief efforts. Would the Chinese go after Taiwan? Would the Norks go after the ROK?

Would the nations of the Islamic world go after Israel? This would affect the entire world.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 10:45:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Will it break off Portland to Seattle? If so, let's get this party started.
View Quote
Add Eugene to that.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 10:47:24 PM EDT
[#14]
@elcope

How would Eugene, OR fare destruction wise?

Looks like light yellow?  Is this due to elevation?
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 10:48:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Salt lake is due for a big one. Memphis and St Louis are due for big ones. Charleston, SC is due for a big one.

Hug your loved ones as often as you can
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 10:50:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Is there where commiefornia finally falls off?
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 10:54:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Maybe the whole west side of OR and WA will slide into the ocean and get rid of all the libs from kali.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 10:57:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Looks like I'll be electing for the cash option when I win this year's HGTV dream home in Gig Harbor
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 10:58:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Awesome, I’m literally a half mile east of the I5
View Quote
this is how we spot the transplants...
I'm about 5-6 miles east of I5
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 11:02:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
When I lived on the west coast, it was just referred to as 'the 5'. No 'I' required.

You're about 5-6 miles east of 'the 5'.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 11:09:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
@elcope

https://thebridge.agu.org/files/2014/05/OR-CSZ-damage-potential-map-842x1024.jpg

View Quote
That looks odd to me. The Willamette Valley from Eugene to Portland has very little elevation change. I don't know much geology. Is that distinct eugene/springfield unique geology-wise compared to the surrounding areas?
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 11:09:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'm not sure that's how log scales work.
View Quote
The chart I looked at was showing a drop of 1/2 of the Richter scale or more.  And there was a chart specifically for the type of rock around the Cascadia.

All I'm saying is that people keep showing that tsunamis can happen in Puget Sound IF THE EARTHQUAKE OCCURS IN PUGET SOUND.  I also reviewed several charts of Pacific Ocean tsunamis in originating in various locations and none of them "turned the corner" down into Puget Sound.

Could a large earthquake in the Cascadia trigger an earthquake or slide in Puget Sound, sure it could happen.  Guess I'd need to hear from an expert how likely that is.  Hell, it COULD be some major linked event that causes volcanoes and all sorts of stuff.  California MIGHT move 200' into the ocean.

I think most likely there would be a large quake in one location with the devastation directly caused by ONE event.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 11:11:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That looks odd to me. The Willamette Valley from Eugene to Portland has very little elevation change. I don't know much geology. Is that distinct eugene/springfield unique geology-wise compared to the surrounding areas?
View Quote
Honestly not sure. Was hoping someone could give me some insight on it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 11:12:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
When I lived on the west coast, it was just referred to as 'the 5'. No 'I' required.

View Quote
That's CA jargon.  It's I-5 up here or just "5".  We don't take "The 90" to Snoqualmie Pass, which is however referred to as "The Pass" distinguishing if from "Stevens" and other passes.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 11:23:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
@elcope

https://thebridge.agu.org/files/2014/05/OR-CSZ-damage-potential-map-842x1024.jpg

View Quote
If I had to guess, yes. Probably elevation.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 11:24:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I was growing up and through early adulhood in Eugene we just called it '5'.

"You want to head up 5, or take the coast highway?
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 11:27:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s pretty flat from Eugene to Portland low elevation.

Link Posted: 2/12/2018 11:28:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Found this. Looks like Eugene could be sitting on millions of years old rock with just a thin layer of sediment. I used to climb at the basalt columns in downtown Eugene.

http://www.vanessasalvia.com/exposing-lane-countys-geology/

ETA looking closer at the map in that link most of Eugene is sitting on extremely old rock.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 11:29:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

It’s pretty flat from Eugene to Portland low elevation.

http://www.orwild.org/sites/default/files/pdf-files/Oregon_topo_map.jpg
View Quote
Hmm, why do you think it has Eugene listed as yellow on that tsunami inundation projection?

The topo it does look pretty flat.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 11:31:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Found this. Looks like Eugene could be sitting on millions of years old rock with just a thin layer of sediment. I used to climb at the basalt columns in downtown Eugene.

View Quote
So only that thin layer of sediment would be prone to shifting and the rock would likely remain in place?
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 11:32:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The chart I looked at was showing a drop of 1/2 of the Richter scale or more.  And there was a chart specifically for the type of rock around the Cascadia.

All I'm saying is that people keep showing that tsunamis can happen in Puget Sound IF THE EARTHQUAKE OCCURS IN PUGET SOUND.  I also reviewed several charts of Pacific Ocean tsunamis in originating in various locations and none of them "turned the corner" down into Puget Sound.

Could a large earthquake in the Cascadia trigger an earthquake or slide in Puget Sound, sure it could happen.  Guess I'd need to hear from an expert how likely that is.  Hell, it COULD be some major linked event that causes volcanoes and all sorts of stuff.  California MIGHT move 200' into the ocean.

I think most likely there would be a large quake in one location with the devastation directly caused by ONE event.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not sure that's how log scales work.

Did you even read the article posted?

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/07/20/the-really-big-one

People don't think Tsunami be like it is, but it Do.    

Perhaps it would help, if you visualize it like an an incoming tide that doesn't stop.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 11:33:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It's pretty flat from Eugene to Portland low elevation.

http://www.orwild.org/sites/default/files/pdf-files/Oregon_topo_map.jpg
View Quote
Well, if the Columbia was to get plugged downstream of Portland...all that water would have to go somewhere I reckon. Maybe they'd try to shut down all the dams upstream until they could clear the blockage, but a major slide might take a while to clear. There are also a number of rivers that flow through the coast range.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 11:36:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
So only that thin layer of sediment would be prone to shifting and the rock would likely remain in place?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I zoomed in on the map in the link and pretty much all of Eugene from Skinner Butte south to Spencer Butte is sitting on solid rock.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 11:38:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
This thread is bumming me out, I need a drink. On the positive side, I have EQ insurance
View Quote
I'm reasonably sure that if an 8+ event happened most insurance companies would declare bankruptcy.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 11:40:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@elcope

It's hippies.
Lack of washing, smooshed hippies acting like glue holds the Eugene/Springfield area together.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 11:52:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

It's hippies.
Lack of washing, smooshed hippies acting like glue holds the Eugene/Springfield area together.
View Quote
Lmao probably.

Wtfboombrb thanks for looking.  Looks like it'll at least be survivable in Eugene area.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 11:56:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
Well.....I've been here for 55 years....and the only ones I ever hear say the 5....Are usually Californicators.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 12:03:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Death to Americans!

(retarded sons-of-bitches)
View Quote
Word.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 12:04:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you again Sir
LoL.    Turbine aircraft cannot ingest volcanic ash.   It's not good for recips either, but it's murder on jet engines.

If the prevailing upper level winds are strong from the NW, you might be OK, if you start driving NW as fast as possible.    Leave everything behind and plan on never returning.   Throw extra engine air filters, and some dust particulate masks into the trunk of your car.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 12:05:40 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 12:09:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Well.....I've been here for 55 years....and the only ones I ever hear say the 5....Are usually Californicators.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's unfortunate Oregon's campaign to turn them back failed.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 12:11:10 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I'm reasonably sure that if an 8+ event happened most insurance companies would declare bankruptcy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's an interesting question.  An earthquake like that would throw our economy into a tailspin, and the FED/Government would (hopefully?) jump in with Trillions of borrowed dollars to prop up and re-inflate everything.   I believe the insurance companies would be bailed out or Nationalized.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 12:13:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yellowstone Caldera eruption similar to the past 2-3 eruptions (like 600k y ago) would be a planet killer.

Not really, but likely kill 85-95% of all life on earth.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 12:15:37 AM EDT
[#44]
Long overdue since '89 and that was nothing compared to '06.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 12:27:27 AM EDT
[#45]
West coast guys send your ammo forts to NC for safe keeping
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 12:29:46 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

The least of your worries will be the actual kill zone from the volcano. The real issue will be the amount of sunlight that the ash blocks out and causes very low yield harvests in addition to some of the most fertile land in the world being buried.

It will result in a good chunk of the human population dying, more or less.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 12:33:13 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
A Chinook and an extra house 900 miles inland??
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 12:35:53 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
I can't swing a dead dog without hitting a transplanted douche from Washington or Oregon.
Good to hear they're going home after fucking things up here.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 12:38:23 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
So much for my retirement plan A.
I have been looking at Tahsis BC, I've been there a few times and loved it.

Maybe not so much now.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 12:42:17 AM EDT
[#50]
I live on zero bank waterfront on the puget sound on dyes inlet and my neighbor grew up and has been/lived in his house and on property for 60 years and remembers seeing the bay rise a few feet post one of the earthquakes, A buddy thats in the excavation business when he was developing property had a civil engineer that had enough liberal college tuition spent that he had clout when there was a issue with wetlands in deveolopment of property that was pretty successful when he came up against the epa,dnr etc...stating things like the orphan quake was the reason for certain wetlands and therefore not held to certain regs that others would be for developing.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top