Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 3/25/2024 9:35:05 AM EDT
Link

If your boss has denied your PTO request, you are not alone. It's harder than ever to get time off work, data shows.

There’s always been a gap between how much vacation employees ask for and how much they get. But lately, that gap has been getting wider.

Employee PTO requests have increased 11% on average annually since 2019, but approvals have only increased 9%,  according to a new report from BambooHR, a cloud-based HR software company.

In the first two months of this year, PTO requests jumped 9% year-over-year. Approvals rose by just 3%.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:36:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Not here.

Handle your stuff, enjoy your time.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:37:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Austin4130:
Not here.

View Quote

Yup.  If the company denies my pto I’m likely gone.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:38:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Not here.

View Quote

Same here. I post all my crap far in advance, and as long as their time off does not interfere with mine they are welcome to have at it. Tardiness is the only thing I am a real stickler for.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:39:01 AM EDT
[#4]
One of the reasons I'm glad my wife switched companies when she did. Her old bosses gave her a ton of shit and because she was the site manager, she'd still get calls even when she was off work and on vacation.

New place doesn't give a fuck. If her work is done, her vacation is approved (usually within two days, unlike my prior professional experiences where they'd make you wait 2-3 weeks so they could "check and see if your vacation didn't overlap with someone else's request," while probably hoping someone else's request came in to cover yours up so they could deny it. SMH
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:39:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Not here.

View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:39:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:39:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Like_Button] [#7]
I’ve only denied one this year. Warehouse kid is only 3 months into the job and requested Spring Gobbler opening week off. Sorry bud, hunting season is a seniority thing around here and the warehouse tech that’s been with us for 5 years requested it off Jan 1st. He tried the millennial, well it was more of a courtesy to let you know I won’t be here line than really asking. Told him we’d give him the courtesy of emptying his locker for him if he doesnt show up.

I think sometimes the millennials who work under me think I’m one of them since I’m only pushing 40 and they get too comfortable. I was raised by the old school workaholics, I was trained by “company men” and the owner and her father that I worked for when he was alive have been very good to me. Kid is about to fuck around and find out, but I wish him well in his future endeavors.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:40:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Luckily I don’t have to request time off. I just tell my manager when I’m taking it. We get about 4 weeks a year and can roll over as much as we’d like to the next year.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:41:27 AM EDT
[#9]
I tell my guys to use it....people need a break. Sometimes it sucks when something comes up and snuffy is in the woods hunting, but thems the breaks...We deal with it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:41:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By bdover:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Not here.

Yup.

Last company that denied my request got a letter of resignation as a reply.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:42:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Great boss: "Don't ask, just tell me when you're going to take some time." Always made sure nothing was hanging or had someone to cover it, no problems.

Jackass boss (Marine, lol!) "What are you going to burn me for this week?" Even though I had TONS of PTO banked.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:43:04 AM EDT
[#12]
I have never had a pto request denied. Although last year they were giving me push back, so a couple buddies worked my shifts for me and I still took pto.

But yea, with built in scheduled over time, I better get some time off when I put a request in.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:44:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Actual PTO that's earned and use it or lose it, kiss my ass if you think you can tell me no.

PTO that's not not earned, just a freebie, then employer has the right to say no.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:44:11 AM EDT
[#14]
I remember those days.

Retire ASAP and never look back.
( I retired from from full time when I was 59 & 1/2.)

The older you get the more you realize your not working, you're selling time of your life.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:44:38 AM EDT
[#15]
I don't ask for time off, just let them know when I won't be working
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:44:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:45:01 AM EDT
[#17]
My last place started pulling “tentative” approvals because they would not train anyone to handle all of my job tasks.

Hence they are a former employer
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:45:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By diesel1:
Great boss: "Don't ask, just tell me when you're going to take some time." Always made sure nothing was hanging or had someone to cover it, no problems.

Jackass boss (Marine, lol!) "What are you going to burn me for this week?" Even though I had TONS of PTO banked.
View Quote

I’m willing to work with employers. If I walked in on Friday and said I needed the following week off they’d be right to say no and I’d be a jackass for doing so barring some emergency.

In the case where I left over it I’d requested the time off nearly six months in advance. If you can’t work with me then I won’t work for you.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:45:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:46:24 AM EDT
[#20]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Not here.

My PTO request is a courtesy. It's just me giving my supervisor notice that I will not be there during those dates. They can deny it if they want, but I'll still be gone on those days.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:46:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:46:35 AM EDT
[#22]
When I submit a PTO request I’m really just letting them know I won’t be there. They can plan accordingly, or not.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:46:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Steamedliver] [#23]
Im not being edgy.  If you have a toxic work environment then it happens, best to exit if possible.  Also, if you have a job that not a lot of people can do, then it happens.  

If you have a job that anyone can fill in with a short notice, then PTO requests are easy to approve.

My time off is done 12-18 months in advance because of this.  There are some clauses for emergencies, I NEVER want to use those clauses.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:47:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Max429:
Actual PTO that's earned and use it or lose it, kiss my ass if you think you can tell me no.

PTO that's not not earned, just a freebie, then employer has the right to say no.
View Quote

Define freebie?

If I’m granted 160 hours per year of PTO in my position regardless of hours worked I consider the PTO part of my compensation package same as insurance or sick leave.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:47:38 AM EDT
[#25]
I don't request it, I just tell them when Im taking it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:47:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Deerhurst] [#26]
My boss gets ulcers from how much time I have banked. I'm frequently asked when I'll be taking time off. Answer is generally the same "no clue".

I'll need it in the future but I do not need it now. It's money in the bank.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:48:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By ricko1:
I don't request it, I just tell them when Im taking it.
View Quote
Ayup
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:48:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By 7255:
Link

If your boss has denied your PTO request, you are not alone. It's harder than ever to get time off work, data shows.

There’s always been a gap between how much vacation employees ask for and how much they get. But lately, that gap has been getting wider.

Employee PTO requests have increased 11% on average annually since 2019, but approvals have only increased 9%,  according to a new report from BambooHR, a cloud-based HR software company.

In the first two months of this year, PTO requests jumped 9% year-over-year. Approvals rose by just 3%.
View Quote
View Quote

I only have annecdotal evidence, but where I work, PTO is encouraged.  We have had internal audits of performance done.  Performance increases after PTO, and performance drops the longer between breaks.  

We don't like PTO that's more than 14d consecutive unless it's planned well in advance as that impacts operations.  But I've had 3 people in my division take 30d blocks without concern as they planned it out for the preceeding 6-9mo and worked with the business during that.  

I need to take more PTO, that's one of my goals for this year is to actually use all my allotment.  I've never done that before.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:49:21 AM EDT
[#29]
When I give PTO notice it is a curtesy to let them know I will be out.

I am not asking to take the time off.

I have never been questioned
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:49:25 AM EDT
[#30]
I guess I'm lucky. I don't have to be a badass "I take my time if they like it or not".

We are encouraged to take advantage of our benefits, time off being one of those benefits.  It is never an issue for me.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:50:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Link

View Quote
View Quote

feel bad for the NPC  plebs that still have to work.  factor in  20 min travel time 5x a week, plus 50-60 bucks 5x a week, then taxes, all said n done 10-13 an hour take home after all.  sucks....
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:50:40 AM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

Are you suggesting that if all the employees took their earned PTO for the same week (or two) that would be acceptable?
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:51:01 AM EDT
[#33]
LOL.  I can take the rest of the week off with just one email.  30 days on the books right now.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:51:03 AM EDT
[#34]
"Asking" for PTO is a courtesy.

What I'm saying is "I'm not going to be here on __________"
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:52:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Had a manager who got slapped by HR for denying a PTO request. I’ve never had one denied.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:53:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:53:27 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Steamedliver:

Are you suggesting that if all the employees took their earned PTO for the same week (or two) that would be acceptable?
View Quote
It would be up to the employer to try and navigate that situation and negotiate with employees to cover
tasks and assignments. It's called "management" and it's what they are paid to do.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:55:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Steamedliver] [#38]

View Quote

Originally Posted By tifosi:
It would be up to the employer to try and navigate that situation and negotiate with employees to cover
tasks and assignments. It's called "management" and it's what they are paid to do.
View Quote

no shit.  That is what I am saying, I responded to the post quoted first.

Thats why there is an approval process at most places.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:55:58 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By dyezak:

I only have annecdotal evidence, but where I work, PTO is encouraged.  We have had internal audits of performance done.  Performance increases after PTO, and performance drops the longer between breaks.  

We don't like PTO that's more than 14d consecutive unless it's planned well in advance as that impacts operations.  But I've had 3 people in my division take 30d blocks without concern as they planned it out for the preceeding 6-9mo and worked with the business during that.  

I need to take more PTO, that's one of my goals for this year is to actually use all my allotment.  I've never done that before.
View Quote

I have also never taken my full allotment.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:56:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Where my wife works, the clinic manager will deny your time off request if you don't have enough PTO time on the books or you choose not to use your PTO.  I never had to deal with that shit, I just looked at the training calendar and put a leave request in.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:56:58 AM EDT
[#41]
Be me.

Boomiest of Boomers.

Hate wife.

Work same Union job that I got out of High school.

Drive 1 of 55,000 Limited Edition Mustang Convertible in Raving Yellow with 6 Cylinders of THROBBING American horsepower.

Drive in to work at 6 am to rearrange paperwork from alphabetical order into historical order.

See fellow Boomer Robert "Bob" Hopkins and proceed to spent hour chatting about how Sports are so much worse than were in our day.  

8 am the first millenial FINALLY makes it in.  "Good to see you part timer!"  Bob laughs so hard he farts.  Millenial rolls his eyes like they all do.  

9 am and it's time to start the line up.  Line starts moving and spend a SOLID 45 MINUTES inspecting the parts as they go on by.  Not a single out of spec part makes it past me. Record is so good that the last out of spec part I found was in 1994.

945 and it's time for a 15 minute smoke break.  See millenial again and start playing ACE OF SPADES at full blast on my phone.  

"BETCHA WISH YOUR GENERATION HAD REAL MUSIC LIKE THIS"

Millenial again rolls his eyes and heads back in.

10:30 and its time to check my hours for this week. Check hours and sure enough it's Tuesday and I already have 12 hours from yesterday and 4 and half hours from today at $40 per hour.  Well on my way to another PRODUCTIVE 60 hour week.  God damn millenials can't be bothered to show up fro more than 40 hours.

11:00 and the lines going at full blast. A huge amount of parts are sitting there waiting to be inspected.

The fuckin millenial didn't shut down and now I have to shut down everything down and inspect the parts.

Berate the dumb mother fucker at full volume since he knows that the line should have been slowed down when the parts started to build up.

Responds "Ok boomer".

Not In My Fucking Shop.

Absolutely tear into him and call him an entitled little shit.  Tell him I've been on this line for 40 years and have never heard such disrespect in my life. Get Bob the supervisor who fires him on the spot.

Go to lunch at noon and pull lunch pail out with Ham Tomato and cheese sandwich.  Bob comes in and we talk about how lazy this generation is and how without us the would be completely helpless. Bob says he was so glad to be rid of that "renter" since he kept throwing the line off with all his bad timing and this was the last straw.

Ha. "Renter".  That's hilarious.  I'm going to call my son that when I get home.

2:30 hits and we have to clean up the mess the Renter made and it's going to take the rest of the day to get all the parts out.

3:15 hits and I pop into Bob's office for a drink and we reminisce about the time when we had to fight for our pensions and the union was able to guarantee 75% of salary after retirement.  He pulls out a bottle of whiskey and we share it celebrating our hard fought win.

Finally it's 530 and about time to wrap up the shop.  Leave Bob's office and the Renter fucked up do bad we won't be able to finish it today.

5:45 and some corporate suit walks in. Looks like another one of those renters.

Gathers all of us in the room and says they are closing the plant because it's not productive or profitable enough to keep open.

Doesn't matter because I've got a full pension and social security.

Leave and head to favorite restaurant Applebee's with horrible wife.

Call the waiter a Renter and laugh so hard I pee a little. Tip 5% and leave a note about how the harder you work the more you earn.

Put the top down in Convertible and drive home with Crazy Train going full blast.

Get home at 8 and hit the hay.

Another great day of the greatest Generation.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:57:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Not here.

View Quote

Yup.
When I first started, I told my manager that I was not submitting a time off request. I was letting him know I wouldn't be here during that time.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:57:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Steamedliver:

View Quote
Let's also think about this.  Leadership didn't replace the only guy that could cover me on PTO.  That leaves me on call 24/7.  If what you are inferring is true, I wouldn't be allowed to take PTO, ever.  

Last time on PTO it was clear that I would not be on call for the extended weekend.  Sometimes I allow it, sometimes it is not possible.  There was a major fire, like with flames kind of fire, and over a million in damages kind of fire....and a text made its way to me.  It affected me for the rest of the time off.  I now have two phones and it will be even more clear, when I am on PTO, there will be no calls or texts.  Nobody I work with will have my personal cell number.

If you need three people for mandatory coverage, you best hire three, or reap it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:57:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Denied?

Request?

Bitch, it’s a notice of absence, not a goddamn request. Deny my PTO, part of my compensation for my labor, and I’m leaving. And if all that PTO isn’t cashed out on my last check, I’m getting it the hard way, with interest.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:58:45 AM EDT
[#45]

I have also never taken my full allotment.
View Quote

I did that until I banked enough to be in use or lose starting Jan 1 every year. I take every hour I earn and all it takes is a text if I dont know ahead of time.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:59:36 AM EDT
[#46]
there has been only one time i ended up denying a vacation request.  

Dude requested 2 weeks off during the absolute biggest project launch of the year where it was going to be all hands on deck.   the project had been known about for months.  I guess he figured the whole "all hands" didnt really apply to him.  

I was actually kind of amazed he had the balls to ask for it.  

I didn't even straight up deny it.  I just told him to either take it a few weeks earlier or a few weeks later.   just not right fucking then.  

otherwise, as long as you have the accruals, and get your shit handled,  take the time
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:59:40 AM EDT
[#47]
UnIimited FTO.

Took 4 weeks year. On track for same.  No issues.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:59:47 AM EDT
[#48]
I treat my employees like adults.  Need a day off? Take it.  Going on vacation? enjoy it.  I offer unlimited PTO and when my staff are done with their task they get to go home.  My production lead has gotten his work day down to about 4 hours, but he still gets paid for 40 and his production bonus.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:00:07 AM EDT
[#49]
One of the best things about switching jobs 3 years ago is I can ask at 1130 if I can take the afternoon off and the answer is always yes.  But I always also answer my phone to help with after hours stuff too.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:00:43 AM EDT
[#50]
Not here.

View Quote

Same
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top