User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 5:45:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 5:46:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IME the little tiny field mice are really good at stealing the peanut butter. A larger house mouse, not so much.
View Quote

Sometimes the little guys are too light to set off the trigger by themselves, but when two little guys stand on the trigger together...

I've watched it happen.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 5:49:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I caught the shrew I was after.
But then also caught a House Wren.
Discovered it within minutes of being caught.
No way in hell to have saved it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 5:53:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Glue traps are the best traps.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 5:55:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Seeing predators (especially lizards) that died stuck to glue trap makes me sad.
View Quote
Yep.  My buddy I share a shop and he put a ton of them out one summer.  Within a week it was clear he was catching more stuff that eats spiders and mice than actual spiders and mice.

Also, nothing like cleaning up a pigeon that's tuned into a maggot volcano after three days in a 90 degree garage.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 5:57:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Dang, I guess I never gave it a second thought that glue traps killing little pests like skinks and lizards is cruel/unusual punishment and so many human males would be upset over it.

Times, they are a changin'...
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 5:58:29 PM EDT
[#7]
OP good on you do not kill unless necessary.  Mice and rats destroy but the creature you saved is just to cool to kill for no reason.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 5:58:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Regular spring traps work great on mice in my experience
View Quote

They work very well.  They rarely miss.

OP is a cool guy.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 5:59:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I caught my cat with one. There was a bug on the trap, and she touched the bug to see if it would move. Her paw stuck to the paper, and she began flailing around trying to get it off. I was laughing my ass off by this time. Then the paper gets stuck to her chest with her paw still attached. She fell over, looked at me, and then let out this awful MMMMMEEEEEEOOOOOOWWWWW!!!!! I was crying by that point. I got her free and then put a new trap down. After that she wouldn't get within four feet of a glue trap.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 5:59:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I got a copperhead one time in the garage when it tripped 2 normal spring-type mouse traps.

Then there was the time one of the spring traps got a mouse literally by the balls and nothing else.  He was still dead. I felt a little bad for him.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 6:05:43 PM EDT
[#11]
If I'm using glue traps in my house, or I'm combating an infestation. I don't care if it's cruel, they are encroaching on my territory and need to go.

Just throw it in a zip lock bag and it's lights out, no mess. If you are worried about them suffering just give it a few good stomps.

Either that or it's the mouse trap bucket trick where they drown to death in water/dawn.

I don't care about fighting fair when it comes to vermin or pests imo.

It's nothing personal, but they need to stay the fuck out.

Link Posted: 8/7/2022 6:10:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If I'm using glue traps in my house, or I'm combating an infestation. I don't care if it's cruel, they are encroaching on my territory and need to go.

Just throw it in a zip lock bag and it's lights out, no mess. If you are worried about them suffering just give it a few good stomps.

Either that or it's the mouse trap bucket trick where they drown to death in water/dawn.

I don't care about fighting fair when it comes to vermin or pests imo.

It's nothing personal, but they need to stay the fuck out.

View Quote

This for my shop as well.I just grab the glue trap with the mouse with a long set of pliers and smack the mouse to the floor. One good shot they ded.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 6:12:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Dang, I guess I never gave it a second thought that glue traps killing little pests like skinks and lizards is cruel/unusual punishment and so many human males would be upset over it.

View Quote

Skinks kill their weight in bugs everyday and cause zero harm, but I guess not giving a shit makes you macho in your head.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 6:15:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Stay off the glue traps you retard.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 6:16:08 PM EDT
[#15]
i use glue traps in my house and garage to catch crickets and roaches - which they seem to do a great job of.

If you can recommend a better option to deal with the crickets and roaches I would be happy to switch to it.

The crickets in particular are just hell. The noise can drive you insane.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 6:17:50 PM EDT
[#16]
i love glue traps, i think we should use them on the border.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 6:20:32 PM EDT
[#17]
I caught a little field mouse in a glue trap once and took him outside to finish off with a shovel.  After cleaning all the blood and gore off of my legs it occurred to me that he was small and I probably didnt need to bring the shovel down on him like Gallager smashing a watermelon and that much less force would have finished him off just as quick and without the mess.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 6:21:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Scorpions plus glue traps for the win.

Pro Tip.....the more stuck on the trap the better the bait.....other scorps come to fight and get stuck.

Link Posted: 8/7/2022 6:23:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Glue traps are great and catch bugs and mice.

My spring traps are just for looks, the glue traps produce all day long.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 6:32:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I put them on my countertop to train my cat to not jump up there when he thinks I'm not looking. Surprise you little shit, humans win every time.
View Quote
You'll sleep eventually...

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/7/2022 6:36:17 PM EDT
[#21]
My cats take out any of those lizards that get in the house.  If I catch them first or can get them away from the cats, I toss them back outside.

The cats know I’ll take them away, so they grab them and run off to a different part of the house to keep playing with them.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 6:39:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Why?
View Quote

They're effective.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 6:44:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/7/2022 6:51:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I put them on my countertop to train my cat to not jump up there when he thinks I'm not looking. Surprise you little shit, humans win every time.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 6:56:55 PM EDT
[#25]
I'll hang the old Shell pest strips in the garage to catch flies and other things. Have put down glue traps as the cat rarely comes into the garage. But to be on the safe side I put the traps inside and empty peanut butter jar and keep the opening where the cat can't get to it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 7:07:39 PM EDT
[#26]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/476-342.gif

Holy crap that is funny!!! When we had a cat it got one stuck to it. And it woke me up and I asked the wife what's that noise. Here it was the cat freaking out it had a glue trap stuck to its paw.

Off topic but one Christmas we were unwrapping presents and the cat was being well a nosey cat. So I tied a long piece of ribbon to its tail. The cat freaked the fuck out!!! Seriously never laughed that hard in my life!! Then I had to get it off without being shredded
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 7:14:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Glue traps are just cruelty for convenience.  There are lots of good ways to kill mice and rats. Glue traps aren't one of them.
View Quote

Counterpoint:  cats are about as natural as it gets for rodent control.  You ever watch a cat play with a catch while slowly eating it alive?  Nature is cruel.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 7:19:21 PM EDT
[#28]
I use glue traps inside my house for scorpions.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 7:21:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Can they come over and train my cat? She seems to be broken.
I was holding her and pointing her at a mouse on my shop shelves and she did nothing. Got the bastard that night with a spring trap and then
she wanted to bat it around! WTF Kitty. You have one job!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just use cats.  Our four outdoor cats have the rodent population around the house firmly under control.
Can they come over and train my cat? She seems to be broken.
I was holding her and pointing her at a mouse on my shop shelves and she did nothing. Got the bastard that night with a spring trap and then
she wanted to bat it around! WTF Kitty. You have one job!

We got our first cat from a local farmer.  He had been bullied by the other barn cats and driven away from the food, so he had to be a good hunter to survive.  Another was a stray, again a hunter out of necessity.  The other two we got as kittens.  They are just natural born killers I guess.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 7:22:56 PM EDT
[#30]
I don't like glue traps because they're unnecessarily cruel.

Snap traps are quicker by comparison.

I remember at work years ago, (in my early 20s) lady supervisor freaked out over a mouse in a glue trap.  Told me to go dispose of it.   So I started by stepping on its head to kill it.   She flipped out on me and looked at me like I was a psychopath.   Apparently, I was supposed to throw it in a dumpster and let it suffer for a day or two, instead.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 7:23:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Dumping cooking oil on the subject usually allows them to self extract in short order.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 7:26:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Today OP was a pretty cool guy.

Skinks are cool.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 7:28:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Skinks/lizards are pests now?  Times changin' indeed.

Must suck to be afraid and ignorant of everything.  

Link Posted: 8/7/2022 7:29:33 PM EDT
[#34]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Regular spring traps work great on mice in my experience
Fo sho
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/5874/IMG017_jpg-2480674.JPG

Always had shit luck with the regular spring traps, but those newer jaw style ones are the shit.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 7:30:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Well your alternatives are not much better. Snap traps miss some times and only get a limb or tail. Slow death. Rodenticides are even nastier, imagine your insides bleeding out internally. You'll commonly find them dead near a water source from internal bleeding. Also slow painful death. Cats, greatest predators on earth next to us....and they commonly wound their prey and play with it until dead.

So in reality, dealing with mice in any form is going to suck for the mice
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 7:31:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Holy crap that is funny!!! When we had a cat it got one stuck to it. And it woke me up and I asked the wife what's that noise. Here it was the cat freaking out it had a glue trap stuck to its paw.

Off topic but one Christmas we were unwrapping presents and the cat was being well a nosey cat. So I tied a long piece of ribbon to its tail. The cat freaked the fuck out!!! Seriously never laughed that hard in my life!! Then I had to get it off without being shredded
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/476-342.gif

Before I learned to use the thin paper ones, I put one of those thick tub-like ones for rats on top of my refrigerator because #1Asshole kept jumping up there and knocking shit off. Next morning, the cat is huddled in a corner with the glue trap stuck to its ass. Glue trap is covered in fur like it took an around the world journey over the cat's body. Cat has a thousand yard stare. I pulled it off and the cat stumbled to the couch and went to sleep. Never went on top of the frig again. As it should be.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 7:34:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Never thought about catching a good guy with a trap before. Only ever caught unwanted rodents...
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 7:35:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I don't like glue traps because they're unnecessarily cruel.

Snap traps are quicker by comparison.

I remember at work years ago, (in my early 20s) lady supervisor freaked out over a mouse in a glue trap.  Told me to go dispose of it.   So I started by stepping on its head to kill it.   She flipped out on me and looked at me like I was a psychopath.   Apparently, I was supposed to throw it in a dumpster and let it suffer for a day or two, instead.
View Quote
When we used them at work I would dust pan it into a plastic grocery bag and then wind up and slam it as hard as I could into the parking lot.  People looked at me like I was a psycho until I explained the whole rotting alive in a dumpster for a week thing to them.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 7:39:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Never thought about catching a good guy with a trap before. Only ever caught unwanted rodents...
View Quote
In a fairly well sealed garage/basement, they generally catch bad stuff.  In out buildings I've seen them catch more good things than bad things.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 7:42:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Well your alternatives are not much better. Snap traps miss some times and only get a limb or tail. Slow death. Rodenticides are even nastier, imagine your insides bleeding out internally. You'll commonly find them dead near a water source from internal bleeding. Also slow painful death. Cats, greatest predators on earth next to us....and they commonly wound their prey and play with it until dead.

So in reality, dealing with mice in any form is going to suck for the mice
View Quote

IME snap traps effectively kill them DRT at least 95% of the time.

A glue trap is only relatively quick a minute fraction of the time, when they suffocate themselves by glueing their mouth and nose shut.

Snap traps are cheap and reusable.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 7:49:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Glue traps are the best traps.
View Quote

I use masterline glue traps in my line of work, which are the best, stickiest, commercial grade traps you can get. Even still some large rats are able to escape out of them. And here in FL the rats are pretty huge and they get big quick. Smaller ones that get caught usually end up getting their faces stuck and suffocate pretty quickly. For large rats I recommend the T-Rex jaws with a dab of peanut butter smothered in thr trap. The T-rex traps have a larger surface area to trigger the trap and it also has a hair trigger. A little nibble of the red Final Rodent Blox is enough to kill any rat within 24 hours but there's the risk that it will die within your walls.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 7:55:27 PM EDT
[#42]
I like glue traps, you can pull the mice off with a pair of pliers and reuse them a bunch of times.  I hate mice, their suffering is well deserved.  It's not like getting eaten alive by an owl or something is that much better.

Link Posted: 8/7/2022 7:59:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Bucket traps are way.

Link Posted: 8/7/2022 8:03:49 PM EDT
[#44]
This is my rat loadout. His name's Ollie and he's almost as fast as these bullets. No rat has ever escaped from his clutches.

Link Posted: 8/7/2022 8:04:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Yep.  My buddy I share a shop and he put a ton of them out one summer.  Within a week it was clear he was catching more stuff that eats spiders and mice than actual spiders and mice.

Also, nothing like cleaning up a pigeon that's tuned into a maggot volcano after three days in a 90 degree garage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Seeing predators (especially lizards) that died stuck to glue trap makes me sad.

If you have chickens, maggot generators are great.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 8:10:34 PM EDT
[#46]
The lizard overlords have recognized your compassion citizen.

You shall be spared.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 8:23:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

If you have chickens, maggot generators are great.
View Quote
Under my truck when I go to change the oil, not so great.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 8:23:41 PM EDT
[#48]
When we were in AZ I used glue traps to catch scorpions ans spiders. Unforunately, it also caught a few geckos. I used oil to loosen them from the board and it worked pretty well. I hated the fact that they got caught, though, as I thought they were pretty cool. I eventually stopped using them.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 8:25:34 PM EDT
[#49]
they're awesome for the garage against wolf spiders.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 8:29:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I'll use the ones that take vegetable oil as a solvent as a release aid in the event of a wrong capture.
View Quote

+1

OP, did you try vegetable oil to release it??  I used it on a toad once and it released it easily.

However, I don’t use it for mice anymore and prefer the traditional traps.
Page / 3
Top Top