Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 10:07:30 AM EDT
[#1]
ATV are not toys

they are powerful machines that can be deadly.

Having said that, I grew up riding 3 wheelers in the woods of east Texas and was a blast!!!
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 10:07:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Off topic somewhat.  I see many references in this thread to ATVs and UTVs and SxS.  I don't know the difference and googling pictures of each they all look the same.  Failure on my part, I know.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 10:10:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I rode them when I was younger.   Got into an accident which was kind of unavoidable.

We were racing through some pretty overgrown trails and there was a tree branch which had fallen down and beside a trail where it was just at chest height.

I came speeding down through there on the trailhead and the branch went right into my chest, under my arm and took a big chunk of flesh out at the same time.

Learned my lesson on that one!
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 10:15:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What makes ATVs so dangerous compared to motorcycles?

Is it the lack of riding techniques, Lack of safety gear? Are they inherently unstable? Seems like at lower speeds, they should be fine but I can see them getting out of control at higher speeds.
View Quote

I did some looking into this, as I’m kicking around getting something for my 7 year old.

I’ve got extensive atv riding experience and 20 years of road bike experience, but no dirt bike experience.

What I gather, in general, is kids atv injuries are more severe than kids dirt bike injuries, though dirt bike injures may happen more often, they tend to be less severe.

This is due to atv weight and tendency for kids to roll them over and get crushed, they are more likely to have passengers, parents are usually more comfortable turning kids loose on 4 wheels vs 2, and the skill level required to ride an atv is much less, so it’s way easier to throw a beginner or newbie on an atv.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 10:18:30 AM EDT
[#5]
It’s all about training and being a responsible parent.

The first day my son got his atv he learned how to lean into turns and almost put his chin on the inside handlebar in a turn.

He fucked around and found out a couple times what happens when you lean the wrong way.  This was in our yard and I was standing right there watching him.

He used to sit in front of me on mine and we’d ride around the yard. I explained to him how to grip with your legs, lean into turns, and how/when to punch the throttle.   All with proper safety gear of course.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 10:21:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It’s all about training and being a responsible parent.
View Quote

This, there is no age limit on teaching your kids to ride. Some people in here

Teach your kids the basics, ride with them, use the limiter and have them ride in open spaces for the first year. Never take your eyes off them and if you're on a trail they follow you.

I feel terrible for the family of the 6 year old
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 10:23:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 10:26:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
They can afford ATVs but can't afford a funeral for their kid?  
View Quote

This it amazes me the things people do go fund me for
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 10:26:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
This Go Fund Me Page is for a recent accident in our area involving a six year old boy who was killed. You can't let small children ride unsupervised.

I removed the GFM link for the 6 year old boy
View Quote

Probably no helmet, and not gear on either....right?  

Link Posted: 7/22/2021 10:27:56 AM EDT
[#10]
A friends older brother flipped an ATV several years ago while out of state with his family and messed himself up pretty badly.  He had to stay in the hospital for quite a while before they could finally make the trek back home, stopping at her place for a few days on the drive back.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 10:31:14 AM EDT
[#11]
I had a Honda 110 trike when I was six. Rode it for years unsupervised and never got hurt.

Sold it to buy a horse and the kid who bought it totalled it within a week. I fell off the horse that week too.

My kids are 11 and 13 and they have a cheap quad to run around the property on, yes it's dangerous but it's mostly about the kid not being an idiot.

I've seen young kids riding quads on the street like lunatics, parents don't care, statistics don't capture the differences.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 10:37:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

This, it amazes me how many people are putting up gofundme pages looking for money to bury family. One woman I know put one up looking for help to bury her sister yet the parents have money.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 10:41:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This, it amazes me how many people are putting up gofundme pages looking for money to bury family. One woman I know put one up looking for help to bury her sister yet the parents have money.
View Quote
It's a new form of grifting.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 10:43:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Welcome to America.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 10:46:15 AM EDT
[#15]
13 year old near one of my brothers flipped a lawn mower and died recently.
Cut too close to the bank, rolled into.the water and it pinned him under.
Drowned.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 11:01:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Is it the lack of riding techniques, Lack of safety gear? Are they inherently unstable? Seems like at lower speeds, they should be fine but I can see them getting out of control at higher speeds.
View Quote

Most tend to hang on tightly when they roll, thus squashing the rider.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 11:03:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
someone is buried every other damn day in this state due to ATV accidents ... on a monday it will be some 65 year old, 3 days latter it will be a teenaged boy, week later it will be a 30 year old female

it's a serious issue here and rampant

ETA - we have many MANY small towns that you can drive through and up on the local fast-food place's sign it will say ATVs welcome in the drive through lol
View Quote

Cool.  Now do auto accidents.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 11:05:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Same here, there have been a dozen accidents here the past year, in some cases the parents should have been charged when really young children were injured.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
someone is buried every other damn day in this state due to ATV accidents ... on a monday it will be some 65 year old, 3 days latter it will be a teenaged boy, week later it will be a 30 year old female

Same here, there have been a dozen accidents here the past year, in some cases the parents should have been charged when really young children were injured.

Charge the parents?  The fuck is wrong with you?  You honestly think some bullshit fine or jail time is worse than losing a child?

I'm 38 and we did shit all the time that could have killed us.  SOMEFUCKINGHOW, I survived without any major injuries.  This world has become way too soft thanks to people like you.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 11:07:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have worked at a Level 1 trauma center.

ATVs are flat out dangerous, especially for children. Use with extreme caution.
View Quote

Guns are flat out dangerous if you use them improperly.

A little bit of respect goes a long way.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 11:07:42 AM EDT
[#20]
If someone needs a PSA to understand this they probably can’t read anyway.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 11:15:52 AM EDT
[#21]
I had a 4 wheeler as a kid. 92-93ish 4wd Suzuki Quardunner.
My grandparents thought getting me a working style quad instead of a racing style would keep me out of more trouble.
It didn’t. I beat that thing mercilessly and in the process ended up in casts twice.
I had an uncle decapitated in the 80s when he ran a 3 wheeler under the back of a semi trailer.
I don’t let my kids have them.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 11:18:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I did some looking into this, as I'm kicking around getting something for my 7 year old.

I've got extensive atv riding experience and 20 years of road bike experience, but no dirt bike experience.

What I gather, in general, is kids atv injuries are more severe than kids dirt bike injuries, though dirt bike injures may happen more often, they tend to be less severe.

This is due to atv weight and tendency for kids to roll them over and get crushed, they are more likely to have passengers, parents are usually more comfortable turning kids loose on 4 wheels vs 2, and the skill level required to ride an atv is much less, so it's way easier to throw a beginner or newbie on an atv.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did some looking into this, as I'm kicking around getting something for my 7 year old.

I've got extensive atv riding experience and 20 years of road bike experience, but no dirt bike experience.

This is due to atv weight and tendency for kids to roll them over and get crushed, they are more likely to have passengers, parents are usually more comfortable turning kids loose on 4 wheels vs 2, and the skill level required to ride an atv is much less, so it's way easier to throw a beginner or newbie on an atv.
All of this, plus as others have stated too many people that treat ATVs as toys or golf carts.

I grew up riding and me and all my dirt bike buddies were always in full gear (helmet, MX boots, chest protector).  The ATV kids would show up in street clothes and almost never wore helmets.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 11:24:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't grow up with dirtbikes/atvs and the like.  I did learn to ride on streetbikes, and remember the first time someone told me about ATVs being more dangerous than dirtbikes.  Was an interesting lightbulb.

I also figure there's a hefty amount of "huh, I should pay attention to how to handle the bike" vs. "ehh, it's got four wheel, lets just pin the throttle and have some fun." attitude difference.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 11:25:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It does, but that doesn't change the inherent danger of something.  I know three people who will never walk again due to ATV crashes.  These were experienced riders in full gear.  Contrast that with decades of riding & racing dirt bikes where I saw some broken bones and some concussions, but no lives ended or ruined.  Maybe a small sample and maybe I'm biased but that's been my experience.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 11:27:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Most people don’t set aside money for future funerals when they buy sport vehicles.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 11:27:26 AM EDT
[#26]
My neighbor was an experienced motocross competitor. Went fucking in the dunes on his ATV. Paralyzed from the chest down.

Fuck that
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 11:38:03 AM EDT
[#27]
I've been riding dirt bikes, three wheels and quads since I was 5. I don't think my parents bought me a helmet until I was 11. I definitely had my share of wrecks and spill, but nothing major until recently when I broke my arm about 3 months ago on a dirt bike.

My kids have been riding since they were four/six. The started on a LT50 and moved up from there, currently on a CR85r and CRF150rb. The always have proper riding gear on, no exceptions. There has been some bumps, bruises and blood along the way, but nothing major. Riding with my kids is my absolute favorite way to spend time with them.

Not sure why we need a PSA for this, everyone know they can be dangerous. Next thing you know there will be a PSA about smoking and pit bulls.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 12:06:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I did some looking into this, as I’m kicking around getting something for my 7 year old.

I’ve got extensive atv riding experience and 20 years of road bike experience, but no dirt bike experience.

This is due to atv weight and tendency for kids to roll them over and get crushed, they are more likely to have passengers, parents are usually more comfortable turning kids loose on 4 wheels vs 2, and the skill level required to ride an atv is much less, so it’s way easier to throw a beginner or newbie on an atv.
View Quote

That is it more or less. The bike just can’t crush you the same way an atv can. Usually in a bad bike crash you are not anywhere near your bike once everything stops moving. The atv winds up on top of you. I have read about kids getting pinned under the atv or against a tree and getting suffocated by the weight. That just doesn’t happen on bikes. Not only that but a 6 year old can climb on a full size atv and maybe get it moving. No way he could get on a full size bike. You will see warning stickers on atvs with age limits. I don’t think they even put an age limit sticker on a 450 Mx bike.

Bikes are scarier too so they instill more respect. They have to be balanced so you are more in tune with how precarious the situation is. You can’t just twist the handlebars on a bike. The fact that you can even go 50 feet in a straight line without falling over means your brain instinctively understands this. I think this limits how much trouble you can get into especially for smaller kids.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 12:12:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Don't they put a governor on the smaller ones so the kids can only go slow?  

I remember a Mini bike I had. It had a centrifigal clutch. My Dad adjusted the throttle to keep it around 20 mph max

I wore a hockey helmet  when I rode it.  That was in the mid 1970's
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 12:24:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Charge the parents?  The fuck is wrong with you?  You honestly think some bullshit fine or jail time is worse than losing a child?

I'm 38 and we did shit all the time that could have killed us.  SOMEFUCKINGHOW, I survived without any major injuries.  This world has become way too soft thanks to people like you.
View Quote

@Cypher214
Hush with your soon to be written off "anecdote experience", suburbanites are busy feigning outrage over Muh childrenz.

Don't you dare tell them 4 5 6 year olds not only ride quads, they shoot 22s too... You'll have child protective services crawling up your ass for not thinking of the childrenz.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 12:24:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Me too, I am lucky to be alive. Back when I was growing up natural selection weeded out the dumb or unlucky kids.
View Quote

Based on the OP, it still is.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 12:26:55 PM EDT
[#32]
This site is becoming a hangout for Karens.  Wtf.  Charge the parents?  They lost a kid.  Let's ban ATVs!
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 12:28:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Don't they put a governor on the smaller ones so the kids can only go slow?  

I remember a Mini bike I had. It had a centrifigal clutch. My Dad adjusted the throttle to keep it around 20 mph max

I wore a hockey helmet  when I rode it.  That was in the mid 1970's
View Quote

Yes. There's different ways they do it. Used to be a screw that limited throttle travel. Then there was that goofy assed washer/baffle thing in the exhaust, that choked it up some. So it not only limited top speed, it also limited engine output.
That was on the small stuff, 50-90cc
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 12:31:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Working the ED one day. A 14 year old had flipped his 4 wheeler and was not wearing a helmet. Not a pretty site. It was about noon on a school day, and I wondered why he was not in school.

Well,
It seems he was home on a suspension for fighting at school.
His parents let him ride without a helmet unsupervised while on a suspension.

I was not happy on many levels. Called CPS.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 12:36:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Gotta get your 6 year old on a dirtbike atvs are wack

Link Posted: 7/22/2021 12:40:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Age warnings and supervision advisories on a machine are there for a reason.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 12:46:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

I wouldn’t consider turning a young child loose with a firearm unsupervised and/or untrained. Recipe for disaster. Wouldn’t turn them loose unsupervised and/or untrained with dogs or horses either. We have all 4, and you’re spot on. A little respect goes a long way.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 12:49:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Age warnings and supervision advisories on a machine are there for a reason.
View Quote
For the same reason that irons have warning labels not to iron clothes while you are wearing them?
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 12:51:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
It does, but that doesn't change the inherent danger of something.  I know three people who will never walk again due to ATV crashes.  These were experienced riders in full gear.  Contrast that with decades of riding & racing dirt bikes where I saw some broken bones and some concussions, but no lives ended or ruined.  Maybe a small sample and maybe I'm biased but that's been my experience.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have thousands of miles on 3 and 4 wheelers since I was 7.  I've ridden carefully and I've ridden like a fucking banshee.

I never even wore a helmet and not once did I have a serious accident because I knew how to ride within the limits of the machine.  Sure, my experience is anecdotal but I rode with a lot of buddies and family who have never been seriously hurt either.  The only offroader I know who has been seriously hurt was on a dirt bike.

Fun is usually dangerous.  Trampolines are probably responsible for more injuries than ATV's.  I had one of those too growing up and never got hurt.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 12:59:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I totally agree. My 4 and 8 year old both ride dirt bikes. ATV's and UTV's are a no-go. If you don't make a hill climb on a dirtbike you lay it down, turn it around and ride down. If you don't make it with 4 wheels there's a good chance you're rolling down the hill.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My son races dirt bikes and I will not let him ride on an ATV. Those things are dangerous.

This^^

Dirt bikes don't have a natural tendency to roll.
Dirt bikes weight 1/3 - 1/4 - 1/5 as much as an ATV.
Most people have a fear and respect for dirt bikes, but think of ATV's as toys.

I totally agree. My 4 and 8 year old both ride dirt bikes. ATV's and UTV's are a no-go. If you don't make a hill climb on a dirtbike you lay it down, turn it around and ride down. If you don't make it with 4 wheels there's a good chance you're rolling down the hill.

Agree 110% my 5yo rides a Honda 50 next to me on my 250r. Way safer than a quad or utv. He also rides a kitty kat in the snow.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 1:05:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

The solid straight rear axle makes them push straight instead of turning.  Riders have to learn to unweight one rear tire
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 1:08:46 PM EDT
[#42]
When we go Elk hunting this year my 10 year old son will be driving a side by side with his 8 year old brother.   There is a roll cage and they will wear helmets.  

My 12 year old will be driving an ATV.  

My 12 year old drives the jeep around the farm and I have him drive when we go get gas so he can learn to use it.

6 is a bit much but, Teach your children and empower them.  ATVs can be a great part of giving kids more responsibility and letting them develop confidence in themselves.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 1:11:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lack of fear. People know they will fall over on a motorcycle, you need some skill to ride at all.
If you can sit on a ATV, push start and work throttle you're all set, for a crash if that is all you know.

Got my son a dirt bike when he was 4.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 1:13:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
How I survived my youth on an ATC250R is a mystery to me.

Never let your kids ride unsupervised.
View Quote

In my case it was a 200SX and a 200E. I only died twice. Pops beat me back to life.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 1:14:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Went to the funeral of a 10 year old that broke his neck
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 1:20:43 PM EDT
[#46]
135,000 people are injured every year due to ATV accidents.
Over 700 people are killed in these accidents every year.
Approximately 1/3 of the people killed in ATV accidents each year are under the age of 16.
View Quote
Source

700 deaths, roughly 233 of which are kids.

Link Posted: 7/22/2021 1:23:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Meh, would assume it’s pretty typical. Surprised funeral homes aren’t offering financing.
View Quote

In a situation such as this, for how long after the burial do you believe the payments would continue being made?
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 1:29:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Too stable, if anything.

Even adults here kill themselves frequently when riding on paved roads or even unpaved ones with too much traction; it contributes to flipping the things.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 1:31:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

ETA - we have many MANY small towns that you can drive through and up on the local fast-food place's sign it will say ATVs welcome in the drive through lol
View Quote

I've personally witnessed so many ATV injuries in WV. Broken arms and legs, broken collarbone, broken neck (fatality), broken back, broken ribs, severed foot and way too many painful, but minor I juries to even count. I love riding quads, but I would only use one now for hunting or work. No crazy fun rides with a train of quads. People get crazy and try to outdo the next guy. Machines get broken and people get broken. I won't be buying one for my boy.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 1:34:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Pretty much a monthly event in my neck of the woods. Last week it was a kid under 10yrs old attempting to drive an ATV across a road, got hit by somebody, DRT.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top