Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/16/2021 11:58:56 AM EDT
Damn Duracell got me again.  This time it's a Smith & Wesson LED flare light.  I'm going to change every flashlight, remote control and anything else battery operated!

Duracell paid me for an Eotech battery cover, but this isn't worth the trouble and I may have salvaged it!

Don't trust Duracell!

ETA: I just checked my supply of Duracells.  It's a bulk pack from Sams Club, they're marked good until 2025 and they are leaking in the package.  Total crap!  Procter and Gamble acquired Duracell as part of the Gillette acquisition and I'm pretty sure they cut back on the quality before selling to Berkshire Hathaway in 2014.  Whoever it is now, these things are ticking time bombs for your devices!
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:04:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Damn Duracell got me again.  This time it's a Smith & Wesson LED flare light.  I'm going to change every flashlight, remote control and anything else battery operated!

Duracell paid me for an Eotech battery cover, but this isn't worth the trouble and I may have salvaged it!

Don't trust Duracell!
View Quote

I've noticed the duracells I get from Costco leak within a year.  Garbage.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:06:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I don’t trust any alkaline batteries.  They all leak.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:07:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I've started buying Energizer ultimate lithiums in bulk from Battery Junction and ditching alkalines wherever possible.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:09:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Don't trust Duracell!
View Quote

Duracell is ass-hoole.

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:26:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Energizer lithium all the things or rechargeables.

Just say no to alkaline batteries. I've had an entire pack from Costco leak in the sealed packaging...
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:31:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Energizer lithium all the things or rechargeables.

Just say no to alkaline batteries. I've had an entire pack from Costco leak in the sealed packaging...
View Quote

Exactly this.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:36:04 PM EDT
[#7]
For less important things I used to buy rayovac because I thought they were just as good and buy lithium for important things. I since been changing everything to Energizer ultimate lithium for everything as it seems the extra juice makes up for the price without the leaks.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:37:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Back when long range shooting started to pick up popularity a lot of people learned the hard way to use quality lithiums when their kestrels went poof.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:39:09 PM EDT
[#9]

All Alkaline Batteries are the same....bad!

EPA made them take out the mercury, now they don't last.

"When introduced in the late 1960s, the zinc electrode of alkaline batteries (in common with the then ubiquitous carbon-zinc cells) had a surface film of mercury amalgam. Its purpose was to control electrolytic action at impurity sites, which would reduce shelf life and promote leakage. With reductions in mercury content being mandated by various legislatures, it became necessary to greatly improve the purity and consistency of the zinc"

I guess their zinc isn't that pure.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:39:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Alkaline batteries are worthless.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:40:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Is it just me or does it seem really weird that we have intentionally degraded our ability to store energy in the name of saving the earth.
Batteries now self destruct after about a year, can't easily store fuel anymore, the war on NG/LPG is beginning.

Somewhat related: It is getting harder and harder to find replaceable battery powered small devices. A lot of stuff now no longer allows (easy) battery replacement. You recharge it for a couple of years then the battery fails and you throw the whole device out.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:43:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Eneloop. Energizer if you have to use alkaline. Duracell bit me a couple times.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:32:18 PM EDT
[#13]
When cleaning up alkaline leaks use an acid based cleaner like CLR or Limeaway. Keep away from PC boards and switches. Rinse thoroughly.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:37:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:39:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Kirkland alkaline batteries are made in the USA.

Duracell batteries used to be made here as well. They used to be excellent. They're now leaky garbage made in China.

Quoted:
Is it just me or does it seem really weird that we have intentionally degraded our ability to store energy in the name of saving the earth.
Batteries now self destruct after about a year, can't easily store fuel anymore, the war on NG/LPG is beginning.

Somewhat related: It is getting harder and harder to find replaceable battery powered small devices. A lot of stuff now no longer allows (easy) battery replacement. You recharge it for a couple of years then the battery fails and you throw the whole device out.
View Quote

I lump it in with RoHS. RoHS was supposed to be environmentally friendly by reducing lead and other heavy metal contamination in landfills.

The least expensive - most commonly used in manufacturing - RoHS compliant lead free solder tends to be very brittle and become more so as time goes by thanks to the huge portion of tin. By using lead free solder things break a lot more often and the service life is much shorter - meaning that more crap gets shoved into landfills.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:56:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Eneloop or lithium, I don't bother with alkaline batteries anymore.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:59:28 PM EDT
[#17]
There are several of these threads every month. Use Energizer (or similar) lithium batteries and stop sabotaging yourself.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:17:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've started buying Energizer ultimate lithiums in bulk from Battery Junction and ditching alkalines wherever possible.
View Quote

Ditto. Plus, lithiums weigh less and work better at lower temps.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:19:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:20:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Change all gun related batteries on your birthday, or Christmas, or New Years. Or whatever. Keep 3 years worth on hand at all times, and the day you replace all of them, order a full new set.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:47:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Eneloops haven't failed me.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:53:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Don’t use alkaline batts in anything that’s important or expensive.  This isn’t new information.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:55:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Just buy eneloop. Quit acting poor
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:58:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Don’t use alkaline batts in anything that’s important or expensive.  This isn’t new information.
View Quote

It's new to me, thanks!
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:01:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

All Alkaline Batteries are the same....bad!

EPA made them take out the mercury, now they don't last.

"When introduced in the late 1960s, the zinc electrode of alkaline batteries (in common with the then ubiquitous carbon-zinc cells) had a surface film of mercury amalgam. Its purpose was to control electrolytic action at impurity sites, which would reduce shelf life and promote leakage. With reductions in mercury content being mandated by various legislatures, it became necessary to greatly improve the purity and consistency of the zinc"

I guess their zinc isn't that pure.
View Quote

I wouldn't be surprised if the battery companies pushed the EPA for that mercury ban.  Just like the ban on lead paint.  With the new regulations, those companies sell 5x as much product.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:08:01 AM EDT
[#26]
I feel your pain. Something has changed. I've been burned by duracell on all sorts of things in the past three years. Blow outs well before their time even in the original packaging kept under my bed. I've gone so far as to switch to all energizer lithium. It is pricey but doesn't disappoint.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:33:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Duracell has cost me enough that I would buy crap first.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:11:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
When cleaning up alkaline leaks use an acid based cleaner like CLR or Limeaway. Keep away from PC boards and switches. Rinse thoroughly.
View Quote

I actually got my light working again by pouring vinegar through the head and soaking the other parts.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:14:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Don't trust Duracell!

ETA: I just checked my supply of Duracells.  It's a bulk pack from Sams Club, they're marked good until 2025 and they are leaking in the package.  Total crap!  Procter and Gamble acquired Duracell as part of the Gillette acquisition and I'm pretty sure they cut back on the quality before selling to Berkshire Hathaway in 2014.  Whoever it is now, these things are ticking time bombs for your devices!
View Quote

Yes! let's boycott Duracell! Then when someone has a bad Energizer we'll boycott them! Boycott everything! It's the GD way!
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:18:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Eneloop. Energizer if you have to use alkaline. Duracell bit me a couple times.
View Quote

I was a die-hard(horrible pun) Energizer fan for years until I started losing flashlights to leaks (four). I switched to Duracell about 3-4 years ago and only seen a semi-leaky one in a mouse .

I want to try a batch of Enloop AA's sometime, I just keep forgetting to add them to an order
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:22:03 PM EDT
[#31]
I have had Duracells leak in my closet before I ever even used them. They are total trash.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:26:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Yes! let's boycott Duracell! Then when someone has a bad Energizer we'll boycott them! Boycott everything! It's the GD way!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't trust Duracell!

You can keep using Duracell. Since I stopped using them I have tried Panasonic and Energizer batteries. Panasonics didn't last as long but neither brand leaked.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:33:01 PM EDT
[#33]
I've been buying Rayovac for the last 10 years or so.  They're (the ones I buy, anyway) made in the U.S.A., and they're less expensive and last longer than the Duracell/Energizer batteries I used to always buy.

What sucks is - Energizer just bought them!
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:36:12 PM EDT
[#34]
I keep a few packs of Anker brand "leak proof" batteries for when I need disposables rather than rechargeable or lithium.  Oldest pack is 2 years old now with no leaks.

Anything with a value of more than $20 gets lithium or eneloops.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:41:02 PM EDT
[#35]
I stopped buying Duracells because of this years ago.
Energizer in everything and energizer lithium in expensive things.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:01:33 PM EDT
[#36]
I recently purchased a home and yesterday I found a toy gun from 1991 that was new in the package in one of the sheds. Came with batteries already installed. I pulled it out of the sealed package expecting the no name chinese batteries to be leaked. Not only did they not leak, the gun actually made noise when I pulled the trigger. Not much. But a split second of static noise each time I pulled it.

30 year old cheap Chinese batteries still had some juice and didn't leak. I was blown away.

I use energizer lithium. Energizer claims they will replace the device if the lithium battery leaks. I still pull them out of expensive devices like night vision. But lights? I leave em in.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:13:26 PM EDT
[#37]
I've lost a few remotes and a few flashlights over the last 10 years.  I finally decided Energizer Lithiums is the answer.

I run some surefire lithiums i catch on sale for my EDC flashlight.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:18:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

This, serious.  I won't ever buy alkaline batteries ever agan.

NiMH (Eneloop, LSDs) for AA and AAA
NiMH (Tenergy) for C, D and 9V

Lithium for CR123, some AA and AAA

Li-Ion (18650, et al) for lights

I throw away alkaline batteries if they come with a product...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:23:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is good advice.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:23:04 PM EDT
[#40]
I’ve had good luck with Duracell pro cell, haven’t had one leak yet, but I still check them and rotate them out. I too have been burned by alkaline.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:25:47 PM EDT
[#41]
I stopped using dur-cell 2yrs ago when a new pack died way too soon compared to an Energizer.

I am using more Li batts these days, from AA on up.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:28:36 PM EDT
[#42]
I've moved to lithium and nimh in everything I care about.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:34:06 PM EDT
[#43]
I quit using Duracell a while ago.
They went from being the best battery in the world to Chinese crap.
They ruined several of my devices before I threw them all away.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:34:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Wifes dildo is running ok in the background.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:39:39 PM EDT
[#45]
I just had a Panasonic plasma TV from 2010 die on me.  

The original panasonic batteries are still in the remote and are in perfect condition.  

Duracell or Energizer?  I've had both ruin things far more quickly than they should have.  

Also recently opened up a lego thing with a battery in it.  Got it Christmas 1990 and the Rayovac battery had only a tiny leak and didn't destroy anything.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:48:00 PM EDT
[#46]
19 out of 20 times, if I find a leaky battery it's a Duracell.

YMMV
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:56:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Are enerloops better than ebl?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:56:51 PM EDT
[#48]
I used to love duracell. Screw them.

Lithium Energizers or enloops. No problems with either in 5-10 years.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:58:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agreed. Lithium batteries are all I use.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:19:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Guess I have been living under a rock. First I heard of Eneloop. Got some on order. The Eneloop Pro looks like it has more capacity. Is it worth the extra money? Anyone have any input?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top