Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2020 10:01:15 AM EDT
There are a lot of issues with this update.  Most significantly IMO are the "improvements" to the task bar search that essentially break it.  You know when you open up the start menu, type what you want, it finds things on your computer, and you pick them?  They broke it.  There are registry hacks to disable the "new" search that restore it, but apparently there are other issues as well.  It really screwed up my laptop.  Fortunately it failed to install on my desktop, which turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

MS really needs to get their heads out of their asses and work on their QA game if they are going to keep forcing "more better features" on people that haven't asked for them.  And stop trying to push everything onto the damn cloud.  I don't need a Microsoft server to find the remote desktop shortcut on my own damn machine.

In before "it's working fine on my computer".  Great.  You win 0.5 Internets.  Go buy something nice.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 12:13:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
There are a lot of issues with this update.  Most significantly IMO are the "improvements" to the task bar search that essentially break it.  You know when you open up the start menu, type what you want, it finds things on your computer, and you pick them?  They broke it.  There are registry hacks to disable the "new" search that restore it, but apparently there are other issues as well.  It really screwed up my laptop.  Fortunately it failed to install on my desktop, which turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

MS really needs to get their heads out of their asses and work on their QA game if they are going to keep forcing "more better features" on people that haven't asked for them.  And stop trying to push everything onto the damn cloud.  I don't need a Microsoft server to find the remote desktop shortcut on my own damn machine.

In before "it's working fine on my computer".  Great.  You win 0.5 Internets.  Go buy something nice.
View Quote
I want a release of Windows 10 directed entirely by software engineers. No corporate cloud-pushing agenda or marketing, just good principle deciding how things get done and what the priorities are.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 12:20:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Running 10 1909, yea, it seems like a pig, glitchy as hell.

All kinds of weird annoying things.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 5:09:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I have an all in one HP19 that resides in a closet. It comes out from time to time when I'm working from home. Is there a way I can "intercept" that update and keep it from installing the next time I boot the machine up?
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 5:22:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Microsoft has reportedly issued a fix for this problem, so probably no need.  Alternatively, you can boot it up without network access and then go into windows update settings and set it to delay updates before hooking it up to the network.

Mike
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 5:37:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah 19H2 is kind of borked
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 5:43:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I've not encountered any problems yet. It's been good to me so far.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 6:23:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have an all in one HP19 that resides in a closet. It comes out from time to time when I'm working from home. Is there a way I can "intercept" that update and keep it from installing the next time I boot the machine up?
View Quote
PC Settings -> Updates -> Advanced Options
There you can defer major updates for 270 days, I think.

Just don't tell Arfcom's Nick Burns. He'll be here shortly to tell us if we have Win 10 problems, it's because we're not competent to use a computer.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 6:43:29 PM EDT
[#8]
@Mak_380 and @Mike_c130

Thanks for the info. I sorta knew it could be done, just don't remember things like this unless I'm using them often.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 6:48:39 PM EDT
[#9]
yep, broke my taskbar search.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 7:03:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Risks of devops strategy of software revision and release.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 7:07:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah I had to mess with workstations here that had "cortana" which is now that search box in a state of being permanently suspended, rendering the search bar useless.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 7:11:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I want a release of Windows 10 directed entirely by software engineers. .
View Quote
Oh god, no.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 7:11:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I just updated someone's system to 10 last night. Broken searchbar and horrible, unusable performance.
I just restored it to an image of their original 7 and will try again after finding a spare SSD to swap in.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 7:14:40 PM EDT
[#14]
I never use the task bar search so I had no idea it was broken until reading this thread.

Yup, its broken.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 7:17:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Oh god, no.
View Quote
Why not?
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 4:13:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Why not?
View Quote
Have you ever worked with or managed any? This is one of those things you just learn.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 6:05:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Have you ever worked with or managed any? This is one of those things you just learn.
View Quote
No. And I've never worked with other software engineers, nor do I know anything about it whatsoever.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 9:34:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
"Works in dev, not my problem, add it as backlog to the next Sprint"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top